How often do you redline your cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
how often do you guys "blow the carbon out" of your cars? in my piston engines i generally do it once every couple weeks, sometimes once a week. The Rotary gets it 2-3 times a day or more. Tell me how often you guys Italian tune up.

I hit it at least once per drive, sometimes more but it depends on my mood.... gotta liven up my drive
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was commuting, sometimes 10 times a day...
Now that I don't commute, its rare.
I will definitely not stand to see my car never see redline though, especially now that my redline is 8K+.
It's just too fun.

Focus probably once a month, once it's warmed up.

If I were to redline my Cherokee, it would drop a piston skirt ... or six.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
how often do you guys "blow the carbon out" of your cars? in my piston engines i generally do it once every couple weeks, sometimes once a week. The Rotary gets it 2-3 times a day or more. Tell me how often you guys Italian tune up.

Occasionally on Highway entrance ramp after its fully warmed up.

Have a nice one with steep uphill grade.

Keep the foot down for a good 15seconds even with a manual transmission. (not bouncing off rev limiter or anything)

Twice a day.

Once into morning commute, once in the return commute.

Both times right after start up to get the engine warm ASAP.

Finding enough road to redline the R/T or SRT for any length of time is challenging. But I manage to do it every few hundred miles :p The 69 R/T will lay down a black fog of carbon dust when I do if its been too long since I last let it clear its throat. The Ram 4.7 gets wrung out almost every time I drive it, just because the 4.7's power peak is so high up there and its such a big vehicle.

I rarely redline the Cherokees either, Miller... not because I think they'll break (you know I don't believe they're any more likely to break a piston than anything else, but that's another debate ;-) ) But they hit their torque peak 2000 RPM below redline anyway, so there's no POINT in getting above 4k at the most. The stick (99) actually is quicker if you short-shift it. I've tried it both ways, the 4.0 is smooth as silk all the way to the rev limiter (it IS a straight six, after all) but it just isn't pulling hard and takes a LONG time to get from ~3500 or 4000 the rest of the way to the redline.

PS- if I ever DO break a piston skirt in one of the 4.0s, I promise I'll announce it here and eat plenty of crow. But aint gonna happen...

Truck - When i'm passing or if I want to make large quantities of gas disappear.

Car - Once every few days

Bike - Whenever I get a chance, but when redline is 107mph in first alone...its quite hard sometimes

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Hardly ever in street driving.
Many times a lap during track days.

Same.

I think i've redlined my Civic once since i bought it in 2012.

My Accord is prob like once per week. When not in race mode.

Last edited:
My Nissan diesel won't reach redline, except for muffed downshifts.

Caprice won't redline in auto.

Old E30 was nearly every gearchange up to the speed limit.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Have been driving for about 55 years and don't recall ever running an engine to the red line?

I have never had the need to redline any car. All I do is drive to work and back. Whats the purpose?

Anytime I take a highway trip after it has fully warmed up. Usually merging onto the interstate. Anything above 5500 RPM is just noise as it is tuned for torque, 5500 is when the power starts falling off.

Wow. I would never have guessed this topic would set up such a clear divide between drivers and appliance users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back