How much Moly to do any good in an engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow... some good reading going on here to start my day.

Just looking at PQI VOAs (again):
moly: 269 / Zinc: 866 / (P): 727 - for PYB
moly: 59 / Zinc: 869 / (P): 651 - for PP
moly: 68 / Zinc: 987 / (P): 744 - for Ultra

shows the PP & ultra moly very close (59/68) while PYB is 269.

I'll have to repeatedly re-read info MolaKule (including link) after coffee better sets in - Thanks. I'm still in limp mode.

I currently have a fill of PP in one of the vehicles I recently bought, and was wondering should I stick with it or step up to PU for 7-7.5k OCIs, or go PYB for 5-6k OCIs. Vehicle still under warranty. Something to think about.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Cooper
So, do we know which oils are using tri-nuclear moly?

Not with any absolute certainty.
However since infinium makes that particular component one can assume that shell and Mobil are using it in their best oils such as pennzoil ultra and likely in the M1 products that have been re formulated lately.
Another clue is that the tri nuclear variant is effective in concentrations as low as 40ppm,so if the voa is showing for example 100ppm moly a person can assume that its the tri nuclear type.
If you look at voa for pp and PYB they have high levels of moly,whereas PU has a much lower concentration.
M1 0w-40 also has a low concentration of moly,under 80ppm if I remember correctly so I am assuming its the tri nuclear type as well.
I don't believe they are supplying it to any other blenders either,so just pennzoil and Mobil have it.
These are only my personal assumptions,so I could be mistaken.

I have seen a lot of people say Ultra has the tri nuclear type of moly. But, what about PP? It has a low level of moly. Do you think it is also the tri nuclear type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back