How much leave do you get in U.S/Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

How many hours required for one day off?

If you're asking how many does one consume in taking a day off ...it depends on how long your normal day is. That's why the contemporary work place distributes PTO in hours instead of days. This also compensates for partial days etc. Far more flexible for various schedules. Many outfits use a biweekly pay period and perhaps 10 or 12 hour shifts.

The traditional work day is 8 hours. Those who expressed their time in "days" typically (military personnel excluded since their "days" can be LONG) work 8 hour shifts.

One of the benefits of working for aerospace companies is the plant shutdown between Christmas and New Years. All or most of those days are paid holidays for direct, that is not contract or "job shop", workers. I have seen this working at medium sized companies as well as the major ones.

Public school teachers still have by far the most holidays of all.

Well I am off from Early May to Early September and various weeks in between. Oh the joy of a Nuke Worker
cheers.gif

Eric

When I don't work, I don't get paid. When I do work, I get paid a lot, and for every minute I work. As long as I'm holding up my end, I can come and go as I please. While it sucks getting those skimpy paychecks following a week or two off, I love this system.

Very different than here then so appears Cindy (co-worker just back from U.S) was correct. 4 weeks paid annual leave from the day you start work, 10 paid public holidays, 8-10 odd sick days accrued per year, paid long service leave accrued at 0.86 or 1.3 weeks per year of service depending on which state you live in and available after 10 or 15 year qualifying period and pro rata after 7yrs. My brother lives in NT (Northern Territory) and took 13 weeks long service after 10yrs added his annual 6 weeks leave at the same time so 19 weeks paid leave, no wonder he can B-B-Q better than me. And here when you go on leave under many pay awards you get an additional leave loading of 17.5% so you get paid more while on holiday than when you are actually at work! Crazy place or what?

Being self employed currenty and working through dot coms/techs and coaxing small companies. I have averaged about 4-5 weeks of vacation besides standard major holidays in my 10 year working life since college. My typical vacation time is at least three weeks when travelling abroad. This is beyond rare as far as span of time for the US. As far as it being paid for all no. I just budget around the anticipated leave time.

Its not easy asking the questions during later stages of an interview. Being a contractor though it seems beyond flexible. For me, life is too short and there is a huge world out there and really here in the US.

Govt legislation mandates the leave/holidays and long service here. There would be a revolution here if you only got a week off in your first 3 yrs working for a company, in fact it sounds almost untrue. There must be something I'm missing about this?

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Govt legislation mandates the leave/holidays and long service here. There would be a revolution here if you only got a week off in your first 3 yrs working for a company, in fact it sounds almost untrue. There must be something I'm missing about this?

Nope. What makes it even more fun is the large numbers of jobs in the US with no paid vacation, and the number is increasing. Also, with turnover in the job market, a lot of people spend less than the three to 5 years required for semi-decent amount of vacation on one job.

If we were meant to have a life outside work in the US, our employers would have issued it to us.

if you are asking what the gov't mandates for the private companies, then there are none. if a company doesn't feel like giving any vacation days, and no holidays off, then they don't have to.
generally there are 6 national holidays that are usually given off by employers, as a mentioned before, 1-2 weeks paid vacation for the first couple of years, then more vacation time for more tenure at the company.
the state gov'ts regulate minimal sick time off.
the federal and state gov'ts usually have the best vacation policies. one of the things i miss about the military is 30 days paid vacation per year.

quote:

This info is amazing to an Aussie. Not what I expected at all.

You think that it shocks you? Try being from a third world nation ..working for peanuts ..booking your trip home for a visit and having to spend an additional $2000 for all the gifts that you have GOT to bring back to your friends and relatives since you live in "the richest nation in the world".
lol.gif

They don't understand that it's also the most expensive.

I'm lucky if they cut the chain from my wrist to my desk...
grin.gif

Seriously, I get the standard 10 vacation days, and 6 holidays. We have an unlimited sick day policy, but management will come down hard if any are used. In my yearly reveiw it was mentioned that I took an abundance of sick/personal days. That was for 4 days.

quote:

It appears Americans live to work. We work to live, a big difference.

It has to do with our cultural heritages, which reminds me.....

Why did Australia get the convicts and America the religious fanatics?

Australia had first choice
lol.gif

As others have said, there are no government regulations or laws that require employers to give time off for vacations, sickness, or holiday. The amount that employers choose to give depends upon the individual employer, the particular industry, and if the employee is represented by a labour union. Most workers, especially salaried and professional workers, are not represented by a union.

quote:

Do you get Long Service Leave there?

If you mean what I think, we have what's called the Family Medical Leave Act. For specified medical and a few other reasons, one can take a job-protected 12 week unpaid leave. One has to work for an employer with at least 50 employees and has to have worked there for at least a year to qualify.
I own a small company with 13 employees, so we don't qualify. I couldn't afford to anyway. You may also scoff at the fact that it is unpaid but I can't afford that either, or at least my customers wouldn't want to pay what I'd have to charge to cover my costs if I did. Shoot, they don't like to pay what I charge now.
lol.gif
(I own a legit, insured, tax-paying business in a line of work where most people work for cash under-the-table.)

Long Service Leave is paid and govt mandated. 10 or 15 yr qualifying period and you get another lot if you do another 5 or 10yrs depending on which state you live in. I believe there is now Portable Long service Leave so you qualify even though you didn't work for the one company. There's also Maternity Leave, Paternity Leave, Adoption Leave, Parental Leave and who knows how many others. We really don't want work getting in the way of "the good life"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back