High altitude object flying over northern Canada

Shot down by USA members of the NORAD team. I expect that either China, or China, or possibly China is behind this BS.
It’s not uncommon for nations to probe the air defenses of others.

We have played cat and mouse with Russia up near Alaska for gosh must be well over 50 years. Maybe now China is in on it, possibly other unfriendly’s too and we do the same.

The purpose is detecting weakness in air defenses using methods such as flying in low, testing stealth technology and in these cases maybe drones and other stealth devices.

As far as we know we may have, let’s say detected less than a handful of dozens of these flights and I’m sure other nations detected or never detected any of our probes as the only way we know our stealth technology works is by doing the same to other nations.

It is intriguing, I’m not sure the public will ever be told who and what. We will see.

Last edited:
Canadian F/A-18 Hornets could not shoot down this balloon
They would have to scramble out of Cold Lake, Alberta. Just too far. Yours probably came out of Eielson AFB, Alaska.
Yes I think safe to assume fastest possible response =

"Military aircraft are currently operating from Alaska and Canada in support of North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) activities," the statement said. "NORAD confirms that we have positively identified a high-altitude airborne object over Northern Canada."

"While we cannot discuss specifics related to these activities at this time, please note that NORAD conducts sustained, dispersed operations in the defense of North America through one or all three NORAD regions," the statement said.

I’m sure everyone knows North America is just as much Canada as it is USA and the land area of Canada is larger than the USA.
I look at these events as good, keeps NORAD on point and practiced as well as finding any additional need for improvement.
It’s a robust system. I would say world class operation.

——

Last edited:
I would be curious if a CF-18 sidewinder could actually shoot down whatever it was. The AIM-9X is quiet a bit better than previous generations of sidewinders. I highly doubt Canada has any of the 9X's.

I would be curious if a CF-18 sidewinder could actually shoot down whatever it was. The AIM-9X is quiet a bit better than previous generations of sidewinders. I highly doubt Canada has any of the 9X's.
I saw a comment that we have 50, lol.

I saw a comment that we have 50, lol.

I read that 50 were purchased in 2020. I’m sure they have more - at least the older versions, if not more of the latest. But I think it was 50 live missiles.

The Government of Canada has requested to buy fifty (50) Sidewinder AIM-9X Block II Tactical missiles; fifty (50) Sidewinder AIM-9X Block II Captive Air Training Missiles (CATMs); ten (10) Sidewinder AIM- 9X Block II Special Air Training Missiles (NATMs); ten (10) Sidewinder AIM-9X Block II Tactical Guidance Units; ten (10) Sidewinder AIM-9X Block II CATM Guidance Units; thirty-eight (38) APG-79(V)4 Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar units; thirty-eight (38) APG-79(V)4 AESA Radar A1 kits; twenty (20) Joint Standoff Weapon (JSOW) C, AGM-154C; forty-six (46) F/A-18A Wide Band RADOMEs. Also included are additional technical and logistics support for the AESA radar; upgrades to the Advanced Distributed Combat Training System (ADCTS) to ensure flight trainers remain current with the new technologies; software development to integrate the systems listed into the F/A-18A airframe and install Automated Ground Collision Avoidance System (Auto GCAS); thirty (30) Bomb Release Unit (BRU) - 42 Triple Ejector Racks (TER); thirty (30) Improved Tactical Air Launched Decoy (ITALD); one hundred four (104) Data Transfer Device/Data Transfer Units (DTD/DTU); twelve (12) Joint Mission Planning System (JMPS); one hundred twelve (112) AN/ARC-210 RT-2036 (Gen 6) radios and F/A-18 integration equipment; support equipment; tools and test equipment; technical data and publications; U.S. Government and contractor engineering, technical, and logistics support services; and other related elements of logistical and program support. The total estimated program cost is $862.3 million.​

I read that 50 were purchased in 2020. I’m sure they have more - at least the older versions, if not more of the latest. But I think it was 50 live missiles.

The Government of Canada has requested to buy fifty (50) Sidewinder AIM-9X Block II Tactical missiles; fifty (50) Sidewinder AIM-9X Block II Captive Air Training Missiles (CATMs); ten (10) Sidewinder AIM- 9X Block II Special Air Training Missiles (NATMs); ten (10) Sidewinder AIM-9X Block II Tactical Guidance Units; ten (10) Sidewinder AIM-9X Block II CATM Guidance Units; thirty-eight (38) APG-79(V)4 Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar units; thirty-eight (38) APG-79(V)4 AESA Radar A1 kits; twenty (20) Joint Standoff Weapon (JSOW) C, AGM-154C; forty-six (46) F/A-18A Wide Band RADOMEs. Also included are additional technical and logistics support for the AESA radar; upgrades to the Advanced Distributed Combat Training System (ADCTS) to ensure flight trainers remain current with the new technologies; software development to integrate the systems listed into the F/A-18A airframe and install Automated Ground Collision Avoidance System (Auto GCAS); thirty (30) Bomb Release Unit (BRU) - 42 Triple Ejector Racks (TER); thirty (30) Improved Tactical Air Launched Decoy (ITALD); one hundred four (104) Data Transfer Device/Data Transfer Units (DTD/DTU); twelve (12) Joint Mission Planning System (JMPS); one hundred twelve (112) AN/ARC-210 RT-2036 (Gen 6) radios and F/A-18 integration equipment; support equipment; tools and test equipment; technical data and publications; U.S. Government and contractor engineering, technical, and logistics support services; and other related elements of logistical and program support. The total estimated program cost is $862.3 million.​

plenty more stashed in their southern warehouse 😷

Back