How much ammo do you need?

Let me also add that having firearms in a variety of calibers is a way to mitigate this crisis.
The 7 P's comes into play as well. All of my pistols use the same caliber bullet (different cartridges) but I plan far ahead so there is no need to have multiple calibers which limits economy of scale.

The current situation has repeated itself at least 5 times since 1993 (in a big way) so we should be able to recognize the signs before it happens and plan accordingly. The plan should include factory and reloaded ammunition and components to reload the same as well as N+2 replacement parts for all weapons considered critical or important.

But, hey, that is just me.

I find it comforting to invest in precious metals like gold, silver, brass and lead. Having thousands of rounds on hand is just fine. It does not expire or get old if stored properly.

In the often talked about scenario of the doomsday us ammo hoarders like to think we can barter brass for other things we might need.

In the often talked about scenario of the doomsday us ammo hoarders like to think we can barter brass for other things we might need.
It's a nice fantasy but probably winning the lottery might be more likely. People win the lottery all the time. I don't think anyone in the US has had to barter brass in any doomsday scenario in the last 200+ years.

I am with you 100%.

Mac 10 is quite popular over here, as is the little Scorpion machine pistol that is smuggled in from eastern europe. Only criminal gangs have them of course. Law abiding lost semi auto back in 88.
Gotta love those open borders j/k. I hear the Czech Republic getting a 2nd Amendment like thing going on?

Used to have a truck load of BB/pellets and now less than 600 cans of beer. Drink the beers with my buddies,then plink. Now theres no ammo Im back to the Daisy BB gun for S&G's.

Gotta love those open borders j/k. I hear the Czech Republic getting a 2nd Amendment like thing going on?

Hi.
I have a lot of time for the Czechs. They threw off communism and decided to live as a free people. They have a very pro gun attitude. Note they have little gun crime. They have just vetoed an EU bid to ban lead ammunition too.
They have a healthy firearms industry as well. I loved my CZ 75.

Hmmm...don’t have a 6.5...might have to fix that. Latest AR is a pistol in .300 BLK. Can’t find that caliber for a reasonable price at the moment.

Bought the pistol in November, but didn’t buy much ammo for it before the current spike in demand hit .300 along with every other popular caliber.

I got tired of looking for subsonic 300BO when this panic stuff happened last time. Subsonic 300 is 2 bucks a round now , if you can locate it.
I just load my own now...converting 223 to 300 sucks but I found a cat out in Chesapeake that'll do it for 150 per k.

As mentioned 4000 rounds is nothing. That is about 8 months for me. With what is going on, I have only shot 1000 rounds in the last 6 months.
By the end on the day I will have a bit over 2000 rounds. I expect I will be limited to 2000 rounds for at least the next year. The cost of ammo bioll be double the price of 6 months ago for years. Bet on it....and that is an optimistic scenario.

Here's a very similar previous thread:

Exactly what I thought.
Maybe someone could start a new thread. How much ammo can you carry?

As mentioned 4000 rounds is nothing. That is about 8 months for me. With what is going on, I have only shot 1000 rounds in the last 6 months.
By the end on the day I will have a bit over 2000 rounds. I expect I will be limited to 2000 rounds for at least the next year. The cost of ammo bioll be double the price of 6 months ago for years. Bet on it....and that is an optimistic scenario.

I think there are a good number of folks who feel like that, which is why lots of new reloaders are being born. Problem is, you can't reload without primers. Bullets are hit and miss but if you go back to extreme's website now and then they generally get bullets into stock, powder is still pretty easy to find, some of the more common cal reloading dies are getting hard to locate, the decent ones anyway. If I'm using new brass, I don't really save money reloading, compared to pre wuhan prices but at least I can make it and shoot it. The local ranges are nice and quiet these days.

Hi.
I have a lot of time for the Czechs. They threw off communism and decided to live as a free people. They have a very pro gun attitude. Note they have little gun crime. They have just vetoed an EU bid to ban lead ammunition too.
They have a healthy firearms industry as well. I loved my CZ 75.
Which includes Sellier and Bellot.

About (300) 12g rifled slugs, (300-400) 12g mix of #00 and #1 buck and (250+) 12g mixed birdshot of different shot sizes. (1000+) .22LR. (50) .30-30. (150) 9mm mix of hollow points and FMJ.

So back to the OP's question: How much ammo do you need?

For me it is just enough for home/personal protection, keeping qualified to safely maintain a CCW, and have a small spread at the range. In other words a few 50 round boxes at any given time.

IMHO keeping thousands of rounds for a "just in case" or "the price might go up" or there might be a shortage" or any other reason makes no sense at all.
Makes sense to have at least a few months or year to spare if you shoot often for fun. Lately it’s near impossible to find ammo, huge hassle since around April or May. Don’t know how long this will last but I have had enough to go to the range and not worry about it.

Hi
I used to shoot a lot of pistol ammo. Four nights a week at the range. I cast all my own bullets as i could not afford jacketed. I would scrounge waste lead and melt it down with a little tin and pour it in those little 'Lee' ingot moulds.

RCBS bullet moulds. The 'Lee' ones were poor. 9mm round nose, .38 wad cutter .44 semi wadcutter.

Bullseye for the .38, Unique for the 9mm and .44.

Assembled tens of thousands of rounds on a Lee turret press.

Had some great times.

5-10K rounds.

at 5K I feel I'm getting low,
at 10K I stop buying and work on cycling out the old.

Back