How much ammo do you need?

Even in combat it is rare to see a solder have more than 200 rounds at any given time.

Where did you read that at?

Tis true the "standard" BII of the 11B is 210 ( 6 mags in carriers +1 in the well)- that's for immediate access on their person but the supply train (or ruck or can or whatever) is close by.

Those who have been in an intense sustained firefight will tell you just how fast that can get burnt.

Where did you read that at?

I did not read it. It was what I learned while serving. I apologize to any fulsome epithet to combat I may have caused. I respectfully decline to comment any further in regards to being in combat. I do not wish to disrespect, question, or bring up bad memories to many of us who have experienced this ugly side of our lives.

I know someone that has 2 9MM pistols a semi auto shot gun and some variation of an AR15.
He has about 4000 rounds for these weapons.
I think this is a bit excessive and he's not a go to the range very often guy.
Why would you think it is excessive? I go through at least 4,000 rounds per year on slow years. When my kids were little they would burn through 550 bulk 22 lr packs like dad paid for them

Last edited:
I think the proper question would be why would a law abiding civilian have the need to keep 4,000 rounds on hand?
Why would a law abiding citizen not have the need for 4,000 rounds on hand? My neighbor across the street from me has 2 late model Ferraris and a butt ugly Maserati and a Ford F350 pickup with an evil Diesel engine a boat I have never seen him use and a house trailer some Harleys and atvs. Why would a law abiding citizen need those. .The neighbor behind me has 10 horses, a barn ,a huge arena a few nice late model pickups , a semi truck, a huge horse trailer a crotch rocket m/c, a nice suv, atv and a twin engine Cessna. Why would a law abiding citizen need that stuff?

I think the proper question would be why would a law abiding civilian have the need to keep 4,000 rounds on hand?
That’s an irrational and frankly, thoughtless, question.

Should I then seek to limit your oil stash? alcohol? cash? Food? on the basis of what I think you “reasonably” need?

How about limiting the number of cars you own? How much HP they make? How big the gas tank is?

How about the size of your house? Number of shoes in your closet? Number of gallons of fuel for your generator?

You don’t “need” anything more than small quantities of those things.

Right?

Last edited:
Look, let’s say I like shooting, or, as a responsible citizen, I wish to maintain my proficiency with my concealed carry pistol.

So, I go every other week and shoot 200 rounds.

That’s 5,000/year.

But I’m not dumb - I’ve seen these crises before, most recently 2012-2014, and so I stock up when ammo is cheap. I stash 4 years of my requirement, just to get through the next crisis, with a bit of reserve.

That’s 20,000 rounds.

For that one gun.

Now, perhaps I wish to shoot my rifle, too, so...

Should I then seek to limit your oil stash? alcohol? cash? Food? on the basis of what I think you “reasonably” need?

How about limiting the number of cars you own? How much HP they make? How big the gas tank is?

How about the size of your house? Number of shoes in your closet? Number of gallons of fuel for your generator?

Forgot toilet paper ... 😄

Right?

It is a quite rational question for those of us responsible gun owners who do not have the need nor the desire to stockpile and hoard ammo or firearms. You are adding situations that have nothing to do with my question.

To each his own. You can stockpile as much ammo or any other product as you like. Just not my style. I learned early on in life to use what I have. Piling up huge amounts of anything in my home is not how I live.

To ward off "Peaceful Demonstrators" as they break through gates/fences and throw Molotov cocktails while exercising their "right" to protest.

Actually 1 well placed round will end that situation.

Look, let’s say I like shooting, or, as a responsible citizen, I wish to maintain my proficiency with my concealed carry pistol.

So, I go every other week and shoot 200 rounds.

That’s 5,000/year.

But I’m not dumb - I’ve seen these crises before, most recently 2012-2014, and so I stock up when ammo is cheap. I stash 4 years of my requirement, just to get through the next crisis, with a bit of reserve.

That’s 20,000 rounds.

For that one gun.

Now, perhaps I wish to shoot my rifle, too, so...

With 20,000 rounds through one firearm you will be looking for a new barrel LOL;)

Forgot toilet paper ... 😄

Stocking up a stash of ammo to get through the next crises is almost the same thing:ROFLMAO:

So back to the OP's question: How much ammo do you need?

For me it is just enough for home/personal protection, keeping qualified to safely maintain a CCW, and have a small spread at the range. In other words a few 50 round boxes at any given time.

IMHO keeping thousands of rounds for a "just in case" or "the price might go up" or there might be a shortage" or any other reason makes no sense at all.

I thought it was for the zombie apocalypse. Even the CDC has a page on it.

Zombie Kit requires 5000 rounds minimum ... :ROFLMAO:

CDC Zombie Kit.JPG

Back