How much ammo do you need?

IMHO keeping thousands of rounds for a "just in case" or "the price might go up" or there might be a shortage" or any other reason makes no sense at all.

It makes sense when you discover you can't find any to buy ... that "someday" may come when you least expect it.

It is a quite rational question for those of us responsible gun owners who do not have the need nor the desire to stockpile and hoard ammo or firearms. You are adding situations that have nothing to do with my question.

No, you goad, bait , whine then pontificate ( often in the same post) and you do so with the most 'stretched" of claims, never legitimately backing them up then try to rationalize when challenged.

Its almost as if you were "nucular' powered or maybe an ivy league lawyer arguing a case

jsut in 9mm i have 5k loaded and enough components to load 10k more. 5.56 not a lot only about 5k . 5.45 russiain i have 10k that i bought 20 years ago.

the second amendment protects the right to bear arms, but it does not protect the ammo. i think the anti gunners next plot will be to make ammo so hard to get ,or expensive that it has the same results as banning guns.

So back to the OP's question: How much ammo do you need?

For me it is just enough for home/personal protection, keeping qualified to safely maintain a CCW, and have a small spread at the range. In other words a few 50 round boxes at any given time.

IMHO keeping thousands of rounds for a "just in case" or "the price might go up" or there might be a shortage" or any other reason makes no sense at all.

Many people think this way.

Many of these people either cannot find any ammo to buy right now to continue their modest need to keep "qualified to safely maintain a CCW". Therefore, they do not have any ammo to go to the range and then are not "qualified to safely maintain a CCW". OR They pay through the nose to get some ammo. Most likely, the shooting sports is not a priority, so they just go without.

A friend of mine has 6 boxes of 50 9mm. He goes to the range and shoots 2 boxes. He cannot replace those 2 boxes. Now he does not want to go to the range because he cannot replace what he uses. Me, I go to the range whenever I want. I bought a bunch on Black Friday. It was an incredible deal. I put it in an ammo box. It is good to go whenever I want to use it, share it, or help a friend that needs some. If my kids want to spend time with Dad at the range, I'm there. No reason to miss out on fun family time due to lack of planning.

I only have a couple of boxes of self defense ammo. For this type, I am in agreement with you. I don't need much of that. It cost a lot more than basic target stuff. Most of my stuff is basic round nose ammo for enjoyment at the range.

In a way, these casual shooter people that think 4000 rounds is excessive should be thanking the people that do stock up when prices are low. If nobody bought extra ammo when it is plentiful, the manufacturers would have too much capacity. They would then need to lay off workers and shut down manufacturing lines. Then, when lean times hit (like now), the shortage would be even more extreme.
The shooters that prepare ahead of time, that have the "4000 rounds" are not the ones buying anything right now. It's the scalpers, new gun owners and those that do not plan ahead that are buying right now and paying the inflated prices. I am NOT buying any ammo right now. Too darn expensive.

Maybe it's just me, but: I fill my car when the gas tank gets down to half full. I have more than two days of food in the pantry. I have an extra bag of food for the cat. I have a couple of gas cans for the generator. I have extra batteries for the flashlights. I keep extra furnace filters on hand. I have more than one pair of shoes, more than one jacket, more than one umbrella. Hell, I even have two sets of keys for my car even though I can only use one.

Coming from a true REMF

Really name calling? You have no idea of my military background to say such a thing.

No, you goad, bait , whine then pontificate ( often in the same post) and you do so with the most 'stretched" of claims, never legitimately backing them up then try to rationalize when challenged.

So now you are going to troll me? Adolescent behavior has no room on this forum. You may argue the subject but not attack another member. I have reached out to you in PM's (that you refuse to answer) you yet you still insist.

the second amendment protects the right to bear arms, but it does not protect the ammo.

One could argue that it's not "arms" unless it functions as such ... and you need ammo as part of the system to in order to "bear arms".

I never let any caliber or gauge dip below 1500 and rotate my supplies by dating the boxes and always shooting the oldest boxes first.

Also, anytime there is panic buying or shortage of certain types of ammo, I stop shooting that type and only shoot calibers/gauges that are easily sourced at non-gougy prices.

I'm of the opinion that it's very excessive for one person. Even in combat it is rare to see a solder have more than 200 rounds at any given time. And you have to think about shelf life. I would not trust my life with a round that is much over 10 years old (depending on how it's been stored).

Hanging on to that many rounds increases the chance of a squib load. It was drilled into me by a range officer that old ammo (over 10 years old) is one of the leading causes of firearm explosions. It was explained explicitly that most squib loads are a direct result of moisture during long ammo storage. A less common cause is insufficient powder in the load.

I was only a young non rate at the time but took his advice to heart. It gave me a whole new outlook and respect for firearm and ammo handling procedures.

I bought a couple hundred rounds of white box Winchester .308 a few years ago, stuff was probably 25 years old, I got it cheap because of its age. It put it into the top of the rotation of my pile of .308 and shot all of it through my bolt guns, never had a fail to fire with any of it, though I will say that accuracy was down relative to the Federal blue box I normally fed them.

A buddy of mine and I also shot through his dad's old shoe box of 12 gauge ammo, in it were green cardboard bird shot loads, to give an idea of age. Never had a fail to fire with any of that, though boy did both our shoulders hurt from firing off the few SSG's that were in there.

Old ammo, in consumer hands, properly stored, likely is pretty low risk for a squib or F2F. I assume in locations/situations where questionable storage is an issue, it becomes much more of a possibility.

Well, you are supposed to have a stand alone back up regardless ( preferably the same caliber if in a hurry) so maybe spares for both

This is my take, I have multiple guns of the same calibre, in my case that's .308, 12 gauge and .22LR for which I have more than 1, or perhaps several. For .338LM I've only got the one, and no longer have anything in 5.56 or .223 as I standardized on .308.

I think the proper question would be why would a law abiding civilian have the need to keep 4,000 rounds on hand?

That number is pretty easy to get to, that's only a few Remington "Bucket 'o Bullets" pails of .22LR. I can burn through a few hundred rounds of .308 in an afternoon if I'm feeling enthusiastic. The only gun I don't keep a lot of ammo on hand for is my .338LM because it's bloody expensive.

I bought a couple hundred rounds of white box Winchester .308 a few years ago, stuff was probably 25 years old, I got it cheap because of its age. It put it into the top of the rotation of my pile of .308 and shot all of it through my bolt guns, never had a fail to fire with any of it, though I will say that accuracy was down relative to the Federal blue box I normally fed them.

A buddy of mine and I also shot through his dad's old shoe box of 12 gauge ammo, in it were green cardboard bird shot loads, to give an idea of age. Never had a fail to fire with any of that, though boy did both our shoulders hurt from firing off the few SSG's that were in there.

Old ammo, in consumer hands, properly stored, likely is pretty low risk for a squib or F2F. I assume in locations/situations where questionable storage is an issue, it becomes much more of a possibility.

Storage is a big factor on ammo. I too have fired really old ammo that has been kept dry. Unfortunately in the field it's not so easy.

That number is pretty easy to get to, that's only a few Remington "Bucket 'o Bullets" pails of .22LR. I can burn through a few hundred rounds of .308 in an afternoon if I'm feeling enthusiastic. The only gun I don't keep a lot of ammo on hand for is my .338LM because it's bloody expensive.

What I really really like about the 357 is being able to run 38's at a fraction of the cost. I remember once my brother tricking me and putting a 357 round in with the 38's. Big difference and scared the crap out of me.

Really name calling? You have no idea of my military background to say such a thing.

Ye shall know them by their fruits

So now you are going to troll me? Adolescent behavior has no room on this forum. You may argue the subject but not attack another member. I have reached out to you in PM's (that you refuse to answer) you yet you still insist.

Nope, but I find it interesting the way you project. No one has attacked you and I defy you to show one, I simply stated a factual observation which I can back up with numerous quotes.

One could argue that it's not "arms" unless it functions as such ... and you need ammo as part of the system to in order to "bear arms".

Actually, its in the federalist papers and in all Militia acts. Its been litigated numerous times ( still many left to challenge)

Also, 'arms' isn't limited to guns either.

I have multiple guns of the same calibre, in my case that's .308, 12 gauge and .22LR for which I have more than 1, or perhaps several. For .338LM I've only got the one, and no longer have anything in 5.56 or .223 as I standardized on .308.

I do basically the same but do have numerous 5.56 and I am currently focusing on big bore F class weapons

Well, you are supposed to have a stand alone back up regardless ( preferably the same caliber if in a hurry) so maybe spares for both
Lol, yeah, but we're talking after the stand alone back up. You then collect spares, then before you know it, they morph into another. Then you go for spares, then another appears. It creates a vicious reproductive cycle! 😁

I've got quite a bit of ammo and I don't really call it hoarding if you're planning to use it. My main reason for having as much ammo as I have is because I have several guns and enjoy shooting without breaking the bank. I've been buying guns for over 40 years and have never got rid of but one, my first .22LR. It wasn't dependable, always getting failure to eject, failure to feed and jamming. I couldn't get it straightened out so I sold it and never looked back. The 7.62x54R I have is corrosive Russian surplus that was manufactured during the '40's. I'm shooting it through a couple Mosin/Nagant. They're built like a tank so I don't worry about blowing one up. I keep the 7.62x54R in a sealed 20 cal. ammo can. I've been shooting on it for several years and have never had a misfire or any other problem with it. When I bought it I bought it with the intentions of having enough to last me the rest of my life. It's just ammo for shooting fun, not hunting or self defense so if I ever have a misfire it's nothing gone except a $ .15 round of ammo. If it doesn't put a bruise on my shoulder I'll know it's a squib load. At the time I bought it an 880 round case could be bought for about $125. the same ammo when you can find it now usually costs $400. or more for an 880 round case.

Back