How many of you re-use your filters atleast once?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you can't ..but you can see the general condition of the filter. Since you don't see any physical degradation, you can reason that you haven't subjected it to any other operational insult except loading. I've personally subjected a 9k old filter to testing using differential pressure gauges and found that it was still quite serviceable. Now if you pulled on apart and found that lots of moisture had congealed on the media ..etc..etc..then you may have had it in service longer than you would like.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Heck no.

thumbsup2.gif

New oil = new filter

ALWAYS~!

Wow.
The last post in this thread was from 2008.
Since its been ttt I'll bite.
I use filters upwards of 15-20k. That may be 2 or 3 oil changes. My engines will still run fine in the junk yard and I will have spent less.
Those who are still on this 5000 mile fci are dinosaurs and are too thick to realize they are throwing money away however I really don't care. Most of them don't like near me so my kids and grandkids aren't going to be exposed to any of it so by all means have at er.
For those of us who choose to be slightly more responsible in caring about tomorrow we can leave a filter on for longer,and I guarantee my vehicle lasts just as long as the 1 filter guys.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Wow.

That's because BOF went crazy when he came across this old thread.
lol.gif

Depending on the filter it is a wise move to use it for more than one OCI. Especially considering that the capacity is usually not reached after one OCI and the filter gets more efficient as the pores trap more contamination.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Wow.
Since its been ttt I'll bite.
I use filters upwards of 15-20k. That may be 2 or 3 oil changes. My engines will still run fine in the junk yard and I will have spent less.
Those who are still on this 5000 mile fci are dinosaurs and are too thick to realize they are throwing money away however I really don't care. Most of them don't like near me so my kids and grandkids aren't going to be exposed to any of it so by all means have at er.
For those of us who choose to be slightly more responsible in caring about tomorrow we can leave a filter on for longer,and I guarantee my vehicle lasts just as long as the 1 filter guys.

LOL.
grin.gif

My concern wouldn't be how much life is left in the filter. My concern would be the almost 1/2 quart of old oil that would be left in the filter. When I change my oil I want to remove as much of the old oil as possible so it's a new filter per each OC for me.

I do like the fact that there would be one less dry start if you didnt change the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I do like the fact that there would be one less dry start if you didnt change the oil filter.

You can avoid dry starts after an oil change by adding oil to your filter before installing. The filter in my Equinox installs vertically so I can completely fill it. The filter in my Saturn is horizontal so I add enough oil to wet the media but I don't completely fill it to avoid oil running every where when I turn it sideways to install it.

Originally Posted By: sl1driver

You can avoid dry starts after an oil change by adding oil to your filter before installing.

^^^^^^^^^^ This. ^^^^^^^^^^
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: sl1driver

You can avoid dry starts after an oil change by adding oil to your filter before installing. The filter in my Equinox installs vertically so I can completely fill it. The filter in my Saturn is horizontal so I add enough oil to wet the media but I don't completely fill it to avoid oil running every where when I turn it sideways to install it.

Mine is mounted sideways so I can not pre-fill it completely. So its still getting a partial dry start, plus the oil drains out of the galleys when you remove the filter so they have to fill back up also.

Avoid dry starts by flooring the acc pedal and then cranking the engine for a few seconds until the oil gauge comes up or the light goes off. In a fuel injection engine this cuts off the gas to deal with flooded engines.

I don't think having no oil pressure for 2~3 seconds is going to hurt anything. There is an oil film on everything that should be able to withstand a few seconds of operation with no harm.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I don't think having no oil pressure for 2~3 seconds is going to hurt anything. There is an oil film on everything that should be able to withstand a few seconds of operation with no harm.

It helps me sleep better at night when I pre-fill the filter.
grin.gif

All true concerns and valid.

But who here somehow believes that cranking the engine does not cause wear? The mere fact it is turning slower is not going to prevent wear on dry parts...

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

+1 The very brief occasional oil filter change dry start is insignificant, imo. But, I do prefill as there's nothing to lose.

But I can think of another way and better way to reduce dry start, when running a quality synthetic like PU (or even dino) do so for longer than 3k oci's, and if one owns a Honda closer to the 5-15% MM oci. Less oil changes, less chance of dry start.
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back