How many of you re-use your filters atleast once?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now for what it's worth, I installed a TP bypass filter on my Mercedes diesel and haven't changed the full flow filter in 6 years and 100,000 miles. I took it out to look at it with microscope and saw nothing in it. Going to go another 100,000 and check it again.
I tried doing this on my Mustang but the filter rusted with age and started to leak.

Originally Posted By: harry j
I was using the same EAO for three changes, but now I'm not so sure. According to the UAO, The ISO code has gone up from 16/15/12 to 17/18/14. I am on the third OCI now and a third UOA is pending. I will know for sure if 3 changes on the same filter is advised. I have a bad feeling about this.

Can I ask:

How much does an UOA cost?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to change the filter?

Wouldn't be easier and cheaper to change a cheap filter every OCI, verses changing a more expensive filter every other OCI?

Becoming a BITOG member got me to change brands of oil, extend OCI's, and stop using Fram orange filters. I don't think I will ever leave an oil filter on for more than one OCI. Old habits die hard, and some habits never die. :)

Frank

filters with a ADBV or nitrile = two OCI or once a year.
filters with silicone and no ADBV = 3 OCI or once a year.
OLM have inadvertently "extended" filter change intervals, no worries here.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Originally Posted By: toytundranator
(btw what do you guys use to open filters?)

No. 3 pipe cutter from China Freight (my affectionate name for Harbor Freight). It'll run you around 20 bucks or so.
The thing about China freight is the stuff on sale is worth no more than what you pay for it. I have been overall dissapointed in the quality of almost everything made in China.

Quote:
My main reason for never reusing them is the quart of dirty oil inside. If you put on a new filter - would you pour in a quart of dirty oil with the new?

For my situation, at least with regard to the Mobil 1 EP and Mann oil filter(s), I estimate at most there is half a quart of old oil in the filter. The Mann may be a bit more, the Mobil 1 a bit less. The last UOA on my wife's RX330 showed the PP in good shape at 5K, so I don't have any issues with a 1/2 quart in the filter.

For me, it is not about the cost of the filter, it is simply I haven't seen any advantage to changing the filter at every change. I have had periodic UOA's on both vehicles and the results have been quite good. As usual, YMMV.

Originally Posted By: twentynine
Originally Posted By: harry j
I was using the same EAO for three changes, but now I'm not so sure. According to the UAO, The ISO code has gone up from 16/15/12 to 17/18/14. I am on the third OCI now and a third UOA is pending. I will know for sure if 3 changes on the same filter is advised. I have a bad feeling about this.

Can I ask:

How much does an UOA cost?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to change the filter?

Wouldn't be easier and cheaper to change a cheap filter every OCI, verses changing a more expensive filter every other OCI?

Cheaper, sure but that's not what it's all about for me. I just really get into oil, filters, UOAs. The Honda manual allows filter changes every other OC, that is before the EaO was available. I reasoned that the filter would become more efficient with each subsequent change and set out to prove it one way or another. I have one more UOA to go in my research before I can form a stronger opinion.

Originally Posted By: twentynine
Nope, not me.

New filter every OCI.

At $1.44 each, I change the filter. Am I wasting the capability remaining in the filter, maybe. But it's only $1.44.

Can't understand, some of you guys go to extremes to insure you have the latest, and bestest filters in the world. Some of us here have been critized for going the cheap route. You are under the auto draining the oil, and you are not going to reach over to remove the old oil filter. Go figure!

Besides finding filtering benefits to every-other OCI filter changes, we are also helping the environment with less dumping of used oil filters. Go Figure!

I never in a million years thought I would "reuse" an oil filter-but after reading about Mokanic and some others using EAOs for multiple oci's, I reinstalled my EAO last OC, and probabably will end up reinstalling it a third time. Once I factor in quality of construction, performance (as documented on this site) and price per mile, the EAO's are hard to beat and I will probably use them exclusively once I use up my current stash of Pure Ones, especially since the Pure One redesign went disco.

toyotatundranator,

I use and highly recommend the filter cutter from Summit Racing. It is reasonably priced (~37.00 + ship) and of excellent quality. I have owned mine for years and cut countless filters and it still functions flawlessly. It makes a clean cut and definately helps with the fun factor of cutting filters open.

I would post a link, but don't think I'm supposed to. Just Goggle "Summit oil filter cutter", and it should take you right there.

REDDOG

Every other oil change on my two Subaru's with Wix filters, OCI of 7500 miles, so the filter goes 15,000. Don't even drain the old oil out, the UOA's are stellar and virtually identical at the end of either oil change.

10,000 miles on my 4.6 Modular, which is double the recommended OCI. Stellar UOA's on Pennzoil Platinum and Motorcraft FL820S...so, why change either the oil or the filter sooner? UOA results suggest to me this combo can probably go at least 12,500...maybe 15,000.

If your vehicles aren't malfunctioning, and are well designed to begin with, and aren't operated under severe conditions, and you use good quality fuel, fluids, and filters, it's just a waste not to at least follow the manufacturer's specifications. Test, then extend from there may result in more savings.

Been doing this kind of thing for 35+ years...NEVER had a lubricant-related issue in any vehicle.

edit: Forgot to mention, the 7500 mile OCI's on the Subaru's will be extended to at least 10,000 miles as soon as the warranty expires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lewk
filters with a ADBV or nitrile = two OCI or once a year.
filters with silicone and no ADBV = 3 OCI or once a year.

Are you confusing the bypass valve with the adbv?

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
No. 3 pipe cutter from China Freight (my affectionate name for Harbor Freight).

Heh heh heh! That made me chuckle. Gonna have to start calling it that...

later,
b

If I was not going to change the filter, I certainly would not be removing it from the vehicle and re-installing it. Thats seems foolish IMO.

To me not changing the oil filter is liking taking a bath and putting back on your dirty underwear. Some are just penny wise and pound foolish, they will change the oil way more than necessary but try to get more miles from the filter. Its backA$$wards.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
If I was not going to change the filter, I certainly would not be removing it from the vehicle and re-installing it. Thats seems foolish IMO.

To me not changing the oil filter is liking taking a bath and putting back on your dirty underwear. Some are just penny wise and pound foolish, they will change the oil way more than necessary but try to get more miles from the filter. Its backA$$wards.

If there's absolutely nothing to be gained from changing the filter other than a dry start, why change? I had a couple EAO filters sitting in the garage during my last oil change. I'm not one to try and save $12 if I thought it would hurt my $40,000 investment.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1

That's nice, but where is your PROOF that there will be any harm done? People have examined used filters under microscopes and not seen and debris. I'd rather see someone spend the extra $5 to upgrade to a better oil.

Ive thought about it and it would likely be fine to do but I'll just continue to change the filter every oci. Its not like its a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back