How many of you re-use your filters atleast once?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
yet people want to skimp and reuse the filter.

This is where you're mistaken. It's not to "skimp". It can easily allow you to get your money's worth out of a $8 filter when you're used to using the $2.25 cheap one.

You'd be hard pressed to justify a M1 or EaO filter over 3k/3m. The numbers just don't work too well (that's if you're looking for ROI). OTOH, if you're doing 12k a year ..and are STILL trapped in the 3k OCI, then you can get the added utility of a finer filter and NOT spend a dime more than the joe who's thinking that he's saving large in his tightwad manner with the $2.24 ST.

See?

Hey, not arguing with you. JMO on whether or not I would do it. Didn't mean the "skimp" comment the way it sounded. Sorry.
cheers3.gif

I use only K&N filters and they get changed at 5K along with the oil. $9 3X's a year is not enough of a hit to my wallet to try and reuse it. It is what I am comfortable with. I have run M1 filters at times when a K&N was not available and they too are changed with the oil. Would do the same with a Wix, Purolator, OE, Amsoil, whatever brand you want to mention.

I don't use cheap Fram filters or other low quality filters just FYI. Not even on a 3K OCI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh
shocked2.gif
No offense taken or intended
shocked2.gif

You're using a desired level of filtration over the desired duration of use. I was just pointing out that you could do the exact same filter usage and cut your OCI in half and the filter would be seeing the same mileage with a renewed sump.

Let's say you have a ride that's fully capable of doing a 10k OCI with a top tier oil and filter (quite a few are easily capable) ..but you just cannot bring yourself to leave the oil in that long. So, you change it out @ 5k. Now we can accept a 10k/10k OCI/FCI ..but we have a hard time, using the same filter with the same oil, for a 5k/10k OCI/FCI.

cheers3.gif

I take off the filter and drain it out. With dino at 5k, it's a no brainer to go ahead and re-use the filter. With expensive oil and longer intervals, yeah, why not start fresh. fwiw, Audi oem filters say 2 years/ 30,000km right on them. My Honda calls for 10k oil and 20k filter, and that thing is tiny.

The argument for leaving the filter in more than one OCI isn't just a matter of cost or cost effectiveness - it's at least partly that the filter might actually work better during the second or third OCI. So where the cost may be worth it for "peace of mind," or not enough to matter one way or another, when it comes to the question of what is actually better for the engine, the answer might be to leave it in anyway.

Originally Posted By: glennc
The argument for leaving the filter in more than one OCI isn't just a matter of cost or cost effectiveness - it's at least partly that the filter might actually work better during the second or third OCI. So where the cost may be worth it for "peace of mind," or not enough to matter one way or another, when it comes to the question of what is actually better for the engine, the answer might be to leave it in anyway.

AND...no "dry start" when you leave it on. It's just another old habit, akin to 3K mile OCI's.

I re-install (not quite the same as re-use) if the oil filter was in the way of removing/accessing/servicing some other part of the engine.

I use ST filters now, so considering the price, I just put on a new one if I have a ways to go until the next OC.

The local chevy dealer (my cousin's been working there for 11 years as the Lead ASE Master tech) recommends changing the oil each 5K miles, and the filter at each 2,500 miles... sounds kind of bass ackwards to me, but that's what his boss recommends to all their customers. I think they're plain wrong, but they're making money doing it I guess.

The technique isn't without merit. It's usually coupled with extended drains. Amsoil used to recommend this in the past. Now they've pretty much reconfigured everything to a one year interval with mileage limitations.

talk about cheap:
I pump out and fill 3.5 to 4 quart every 3k or so miles and leave filter on for 10 k miles.
honda accord 00 v6

I was talking with the Geico Caveman yesterday and he suggested following the regimen your most comfortable with.

Just to answer the question. I change my FL1A Motorcraft filter every 3000 miles with new Castrol GTX 10w-30 in my 1986 F-150 302 V8 EFI.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
Just to answer the question. I change my FL1A Motorcraft filter every 3000 miles with new Castrol GTX 10w-30 in my 1986 F-150 302 V8 EFI.
The bad thing about your regiment is the truck will fall apart before the engine wears out.

Out of curiosity, I've read that folks had cut open their filters - and have found it "completely clean" inside after an OCI - so they say that the filters can stay for 2-3 OCI.

I don't doubt that better filters can go a few OCI's especially if they have larger filter media inside - but, how do you know it's "clean inside" when the particles being trapped are supposed to be in the micron range?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back