How long will an oil filter do its job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also +1 to getting the filter nice and warm before trying to remove it.

Also +1 to spraying around the top of the filter with WD40 or similar. Especially if the filter is mounted vertically, hanging downward. The WD40 should sit in the ridge next to the rubber gasket and gradually work its way in as you torque on the filter.

Be patient, stuck filters don't always come off in one go. Keep pulsing it with torque, add WD40 and repeat. Sometimes they just move a tiny bit at a time. Take a break, then go lean on it again. Use a pulsing action.

Last edited:
Id take it to a mechanic for the next oil change and explain the situation with the filter. I'd assume that a quickie lube shop might give up and pass on putting on a new filter.

-1 on getting the filter warm to hot. In my experience, I have found just the opposite to be true. The colder the engine/filter/gasket, the easier the oil filter has been to remove.

As an example, in the summer when the engine is relatively warm/hot, after say ~20-30 min. drain period, I still may need to start to loosen the filter with a cap wrench, even on a hand tightened filter (gasket contact + ~2/3 turn).

When the engine/filter/gasket is cold, the filter comes off by hand. And last winter during a cold snap, for here, a summer hand tightened oil filter, per spec, not leaking, began to slowly drip because of contraction of gasket and metal. Tightened it slightly more, leak gone. In my experience, the colder the better for ease of filter removal.

Still think the OP should give the Lisle Wide Range cap wrench, pictured above, a go.

I do oil the gasket. I may have caused this problem myself. I may have tightened it too much, using the cap & socket wrench. It's in a difficult spot, so hard to hand tighten, but I guess I'll have to be more careful. I don't like to over tight things too much anyhow, like the guys who go crazy with the air gun on the lug nuts...that's a real nightmare!

I just get it as tight as I can with one hand. I only use tools to get it off. Usually you should just turn it 3/4 to a full turn after it contacts the base.

In my experience cold filters have been easier to remove than hot ones. Metal/rubber expands when hot, think about it. This is one of the reasons I don't do hot oil changes.

Originally Posted By: hominid7
Getting the filter good and hot by running the engine will help. A cold filter is really difficult to get off.

You could also try wrapping some duct-tape around the base of the filter to give you a little more traction when using the cap-wrench. Getting the car up on jack-stands to give you a little more room to work may help as well.

OP - use one hand to tighten the filter and both hands to get it off (if one hand isn't enough). Never use a tool to tighten the filter.

Last edited:
Ummm. I oil the gasket and put it in hand tight. There is no way in [censored] I can get them off cold. Not my Harley,my mustang or my 5.3 chev or 5.7 tow truck. I gotta get em warm first then turn them off with leather gloves. Just my experience on every car I have ever owned. So roughly 30 or so.

A correct cap end socket style cup is the best way to go, it has to be the correct size, but that and a cheap socket wrench and extension and the removal is a breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back