Do Oil Filters Go Bad Sitting On The Shelf Too Long?

Right now I am using a Wix 51348 c.2015. I have two Purolators that are older but not using them.

I have a Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter that I purchased for my 04 Nissan Sentra back in 2015 as part of a oil change discounted bundle, but never used.
This had been sitting in the Nissan's trunk for years and then moved to my garage.
I have done oil changes since then, but used K&N filters. It's time for another oil and filter change, but question whether I should even consider this old filter, or just get a new one.
I could imagine that there could be potentially rust accumulation, brittle filter media or drain back valve. I don't think it is worth taking the chance over a 17.00 filter.
Opinions?
I've cut open fram filters that were NOS from the 60s 70s & 80s and I would say even at that age the only thing that would make them unusable might be a hard ADBV, everything else was in excellent condition. If you search around you might find the post of a guy cutting open a 90s fram on here after using for an oil change, and it was fine.

That post gives me confidence to run the 2012-vintage Fram XG3593A I picked from the Walmart clearance shelf a few months ago.

not right /
Yep that’s how people wind up with defective goods. It’s too bad people do that. If a person is say 10 years old they may not know any better. It’s like when something of ours is stolen, just steal someone else’s, why not 😡

My buddy has a friend who actually always uses products like tires for 30-60 days, destroys them, and says he doesn’t like them and gets a new set. He likes it when a shop isn’t pleased. It’s like he’s making up for his inner unhappiness

That post gives me confidence to run the 2012-vintage Fram XG3593A I picked from the Walmart clearance shelf a few months ago.
An OG Ultra that old if stored where it doesn't rust at all would be totally fine to use. I have some OG Ultras that are 5+ years old that I've stored sealed inside the house and they look great and will be used.

Back