How important is an OEM oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know it would hurt the oil volume flow rate to the engine when the oiling system uses a positive displacement oil pump? Lots of data shows aftermarket oil filters flow and filter really well, probably better than most OEM filters.
Agree. I'm actually very surprised at the lack of knowledge a lot of BITOG folks have on what a positive displacement pump is and how it works.

Go on Ebay and type in the OEM oil filter part #. There are quite a few Toyota and Nissan dealers that sell these filters on Ebay, and usually they give you a deal if bought in bulk with free shipping.

I just ordered an OEM 90915-YZZN1 filter from Oreilly auto parts. I called and they said it’s after market…

If OEM meaning genuine Toyota filter, then if it's not exorbitantly difficult to source one - YES! 🙂
I’m having an incredibly difficult time sourcing an actual OEM filter. Oreilly just lied to me and said their filter was OEM and it’s not. I guess I have to order form a dealership and pay $30 shipping.

If it's advertised as "Toyota OEM" then it better say Toyota/Denso on the box and can, and have the Toyota P/N, just like if you bought it at the dealership.
Oreilly just told me their OEM filter is made by Premium Guard. The guy then said, yes it’s OEM and after market…

FWIW, Fram lists the same filter - XX4967 - for 2020, 2021, and 2022 RAV4 models so whatever Toyota changed may be rather superficial.

Just double-checked O'Reilly and they list the YZZN1 part. The only one I saw "wrong" was the Amazon listing.
I just called Oreilly. The filter they claim is OEM is NOT OEM. The guy on the phone said it’s both OEM and aftermarket…

Good question. I’d say it depends on application. The engine in your Toyota should not be picky about oil filter choice as long are you are selecting a quality filter. Fram Ultra comes to mind, as well as Mobil 1’s filter. Nothing wrong with OEM though. I’ve been running Fram Ultras on my Accord since I bought it 7 years ago, but recently got the itch to run the nice blue Honda OE filter for the next oil change. For your application I’d go with a quality oil that meets spec and a name brand filter and not think twice. Specifically Mobil 1 0w16 and a Fram Ultra oil filter IF your car uses a traditional spin on filter. If it uses a cartridge I’d be inclined to go OE on the filter as some aftermarket ones are known to compress, deform and sometimes tear. Rare, but it happens.

I just called Oreilly. The filter they claim is OEM is NOT OEM. The guy on the phone said it’s both OEM and aftermarket…

It very well could be.

OEM does not mean Toyota. That would be OE. OEM is the Original Equipment manufacturer, who in this case would likely be one of several large filter manufacturers.

So if the O'Reilly filter is the OE filter with different paint and sold in a different box, they are correct.

It very well could be.

OEM does not mean Toyota. That would be OE. OEM is the Original Equipment manufacturer, who in this case would likely be one of several large filter manufacturers.

So if the O'Reilly filter is the OE filter with different paint and sold in a different box, they are correct.
I did not know that. To confirm, I want a Toyota genuine filter. That is OE not OEM correct?

I’m having an incredibly difficult time sourcing an actual OEM filter. Oreilly just lied to me and said their filter was OEM and it’s not. I guess I have to order form a dealership and pay $30 shipping.
I can order Toyota filters of any size for $3.79 each plus $5.99 shipping from an area Toyota dealer. Very fresh stock, and wait for it on the doorstep. Or spend $75 and get free shipping. Or get five and the shipping is effectively divided by five. Last time I ordered Toyota oil and filters with free shipping. They drove it out to me, which is amazing as it is a 40 mile round trip and there were two guys in a brand new Tundra.

I can order Toyota filters of any size for $3.79 each plus $5.99 shipping from an area Toyota dealer. Very fresh stock, and wait for it on the doorstep. Or spend $75 and get free shipping. Or get five and the shipping is effectively divided by five. Last time I ordered Toyota oil and filters with free shipping. They drove it out to me, which is amazing as it is a 40 mile round trip and there were two guys in a brand new Tundra.
That’s my point. I don’t have an “area” dealer. I’m going to order from a dealer and shipping is $25. I have it figured out now.

Original answer to your question is:
no, OEM is not required. If anyone else tells you otherwise, hog wash. Use only parts spec for your vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back