How important is an OEM oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2022 Rav4 hybrid. Finding a Toyota OEM oil filter part # 90915-yzzn1 is more difficult than expected. My dealer is 2 hours away as well and won't ship. Is an OEM filter for first oil change important or another brand would be just as good if not better? Thanks!

I have a 2022 Rav4 hybrid. Finding a Toyota OEM oil filter part # 90915-yzzn1 is more difficult than expected. My dealer is 2 hours away as well and won't ship. Is an OEM filter for first oil change important or another brand would be just as good if not better? Thanks!
Just get a Fram ultra filter and worry about more important issues in your life.

Lots of good filters out there, I've always used Motorcraft in the F-150 but I would feel just as good using a Wix or NAPA gold.

I've been using the least expensive aftermarket filters of various brands for the past 46 years and have ran a few cars to over 200K miles and one to over 500K without any issues. As for oil I've used everything from major branded oil to store branded oil mostly of the conventional variety. The only engine I've ever had that wasn't still running when I quit using the car was because of a dropped valve seat and had nothing to do with oil/filter.

I've been using the least expensive aftermarket filters of various brands for the past 46 years and have ran a few cars to over 200K miles and one to over 500K without any issues. As for oil I've used everything from major branded oil to store branded oil mostly of the conventional variety. The only engine I've ever had that wasn't still running when I quit using the car was because of a dropped valve seat and had nothing to do with oil/filter.
This BITOG blasphemy.
You might get banned.

My dealer is 2 hours away as well and won't ship
You can buy Toyota filters from any dealer or supplier. You're certainly not restricted to "your" dealer.

More and more parts stores, even Walmart, have begun stocking OEM oil filters too. I can pick up that Toyota filter from the Autozone on my way home from work (at least according to their website, it's in stock / on the shelf). The O'Reilly in the little town we live in has it on the shelf too. FWIW, no nearby WM has it in stock though.

Oe filter, Not at all a wix or Mobil 1 filter are of very good quality and best of all they meet or exceeds the manufacturers specifications.

The oil filter housing on my new GMC Canyon is labeled Hengst. I bought that brand of oil filter on Rock Auto instead of the AC Delco brand figuring well if they made the housing.... But truth be known, the AC Delcos are probably Hengst.

You can buy Toyota filters from any dealer or supplier. You're certainly not restricted to "your" dealer.

More and more parts stores, even Walmart, have begun stocking OEM oil filters too. I can pick up that Toyota filter from the Autozone on my way home from work (at least according to their website, it's in stock / on the shelf). The O'Reilly in the little town we live in has it on the shelf too. FWIW, no nearby WM has it in stock though.
Thanks. I live way out there so any dealer is 2+ hours away and won't ship. Same with walmart or any other store. Was hoping to get online but difficult to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back