How important is an OEM oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For most spin-on cans, not important at all. That includes your Toyota. There are some exceptions like recent Subarus that have a higher bypass spec than most, and a few other special cases where the OE filter has some other critical attribute, but your Rav4 isn't one of those cases.

Cartridge filters could be more important to use OEM, as many aftermarket cartridges are poorly designed or poorly manufactured and aren't the same size.

Napa Gold 1394 should be a nice alternative

After the warranty is up, use the longer 7145 :sneaky:

I have a 2022 Rav4 hybrid. Finding a Toyota OEM oil filter part # 90915-yzzn1 is more difficult than expected. My dealer is 2 hours away as well and won't ship. Is an OEM filter for first oil change important or another brand would be just as good if not better? Thanks!
So, you're sacrificing your first-two-year free oil changes because the nearest dealer is too far?

I always preferred WIX but am questioning that lately, the last box of 12 I ordered from RA were all made in China and definitely looked different internally,(strike 1),then as I start to use them 2 out of the 12 did not even have the sticker applied to the can. Can someone say Quality Control issues. Will do a C&P soon.

nope. those are the old filters. I'm looking for 90915-yzzn1
Hmmm, I searched for the p/n you listed and didn't notice it was different. My money says it's simply a case of old "data" and that the filters on the shelf will be the current design. I'm going to O'Reilly soon (maybe today) and will look if I remember.

Hmmm, I searched for the p/n you listed and didn't notice it was different. My money says it's simply a case of old "data" and that the filters on the shelf will be the current design. I'm going to O'Reilly soon (maybe today) and will look if I remember.
Thanks appreciate any help

I always preferred WIX but am questioning that lately, the last box of 12 I ordered from RA were all made in China and definitely looked different internally,(strike 1),then as I start to use them 2 out of the 12 did not even have the sticker applied to the can. Can someone say Quality Control issues. Will do a C&P soon.
Why I want OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back