How important is an OEM oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here you go. I've ordered a ton of parts from Sparks toyota.

Also cool springs toyota is another good dealer/website to buy from. Don't put to much stock in what the picture says. They'll send you the correct part number. Alot of sites don't update their photos if the product changes.

I'd stay away from Ebay/Amazon. There are alot of counterfeits out there. I got counterfeit NGK sparks plugs for my tundra before.

Here you go. I've ordered a ton of parts from Sparks toyota.

Also cool springs toyota is another good dealer/website to buy from. Don't put to much stock in what the picture says. They'll send you the correct part number. Alot of sites don't update their photos if the product changes.

I'd stay away from Ebay/Amazon. There are alot of counterfeits out there. I got counterfeit NGK sparks plugs for my tundra before.
Oh thanks. I for some reason thought the picture and part # would be correct. Good to know.

@Rav4 adventure 24, mate, getting an OEM filter for the car is "doing things right". I would disregard all those people's advice that say "worry about something more important" or "OE filters suck" or "I got away with the cheapest filter for 500,000 miles". They are not serious. Just Google the part # - there's got to be an outlet that will ship them to you. But yes, any respected brand name filter for your engine will do the job.

P.S. watch out if you ever need a tire advice, you will get responses such as: "I used cheapest no name Chinese tires and they lasted me 50,000 miles - worry about something else" 😁

@Rav4 adventure 24, mate, getting an OEM filter for the car is "doing things right". I would disregard all those people's advice that say "worry about something more important" or "OE filters suck" or "I got away with the cheapest filter for 500,000 miles". They are not serious. Just Google the part # - there's got to be an outlet that will ship them to you. But yes, any respected brand name filter for your engine will do the job.

P.S. watch out if you ever need a tire advice, you will get responses such as: "I used cheapest no name Chinese tires and they lasted me 50,000 miles - worry about something else" 😁
Thanks. I agree. I’m finding OEM online but $20+ for shipping which is abnormal but better than driving 4 hours to get it done. Cheers

There's nothing wrong with OEM filters but the question was asked if something else was available that was easier to source. If the answer was always "buy the OEM online" then why was the thread even posted?

There's nothing wrong with OEM filters but the question was asked if something else was available that was easier to source. If the answer was always "buy the OEM online" then why was the thread even posted?
Sourcing the OEM online is difficult and expensive. Websites I saw had the old part numbers. I may have found a source, expensive but I don’t mind.

I've had good luck on ebay. Lots of dealers selling on there.

Here's 3 for $21 with free shipping.

I've been using OEM while under warranty just so they can't hassle me too bad about changing my own oil.

I have the 2020 RAV4 Hybrid with the same motor. I’ve been running the Fram Ultras (XG4967) for the past 48K miles. No issues.

Be in the lookout for counterfeit Toyota filters on Amazon and EBay. Several reports about those popping up. If you are buying online, make sure it is from an actual dealer that just so happens to be selling online; there are a ton of them doing it nowadays.

I've had good luck on ebay. Lots of dealers selling on there.

Here's 3 for $21 with free shipping.

I've been using OEM while under warranty just so they can't hassle me too bad about changing my own oil.
Great thanks for the help! Can I trust they are OEM? I may give it a shot. Thanks
again for your help.

I have the 2020 RAV4 Hybrid with the same motor. I’ve been running the Fram Ultras (XG4967) for the past 48K miles. No issues.

Be in the lookout for counterfeit Toyota filters on Amazon and EBay. Several reports about those popping up. If you are buying online, make sure it is from an actual dealer that just so happens to be selling online; there are a ton of them doing it nowadays.
Thanks! So maybe safer to go with a Fram than eBay.

nope. those are the old filters. I'm looking for 90915-yzzn1
FWIW, Fram lists the same filter - XX4967 - for 2020, 2021, and 2022 RAV4 models so whatever Toyota changed may be rather superficial.

Just double-checked O'Reilly and they list the YZZN1 part. The only one I saw "wrong" was the Amazon listing.

FWIW, Fram lists the same filter - XX4967 - for 2020, 2021, and 2022 RAV4 models so whatever Toyota changed may be rather superficial.

Just double-checked O'Reilly and they list the YZZN1 part. The only one I saw "wrong" was the Amazon listing.
Thanks!

@Rav4 adventure 24, "I got away with the cheapest filter for 500,000 miles"
Just because they were the least expensive available doesn't mean they weren't good quality filters. I've bought lots of filters from $ .17-$1. each at store closeouts, flea markets and yard sales. I've currently got several A/C Delco filters to fit my Fords that I bought for $1. each several years ago. A/C Delco is an OEM filter but not the OEM filter for Ford Motor Company. OEM filters are nothing more than filters made by some filter manufacturer that just happened to have the lowest bid on the contract. Some brand filters I've used over the years are Car & Driver, Fram, Pensky, Castrol, Purolator, A/C Delco, Motorcraft, Mighty, Parts+, and probably a number of other brands that I can't recall right now.

When I was growing up in the '60's and '70's my dad usually bought Montgomery Ward store branded tires, he was told by a Montgomery Ward salesperson they were made by Kelly-Springfield at that time. I recently read somewhere on the Internet that Douglas tires sold as the Walmart store brand are made by Goodyear.

Last edited:
Just because they were the least expensive available doesn't mean they weren't good quality filters. I've bought lots of filters from $ .17-$1. each at store closeouts, flea markets and yard sales. I've currently got several A/C Delco filters to fit my Fords that I bought for $1. each several years ago. A/C Delco is an OEM filter but not the OEM filter for Ford Motor Company. OEM filters are nothing more than filters made by some filter manufacturer that just happened to have the lowest bid on the contract. I remember when I was growing up in the '60's and '70's my dad usually bought Montgomery Ward store branded tires, he was told by a Montgomery Ward salesperson they were made by Kelly-Springfield at that time. I recently read somewhere on the Internet that Douglas tires sold as the Walmart store brand are made by Goodyear.
It’s a $40k vehicle. I don’t mind spending a few extra bucks to keep it running well.

Now I see the Oreilly “OEM” is made by Premium Guard. So it’s not really OEM?

One thing to be concerned about is flow rate. I'd hate to use a filter that had a slower flow rate than factory. Good filtering is great but if it restricts oil flow pressure. Not knowing this I generally prefer to use OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back