How important is an OEM oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oreilly says OEM with a Toyota part number. But made by Premium guard
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...1/v/a/144153/automotive-car-2018-toyota-camry
No photo in you link ... but here's another one sold by O'Reilly. It looks to be a genuine Toyota branded oil filter, meaning it is OEM. Don't really know the "Line: PGF" means. Is that the "Premium Guard" reference? Maybe Toyota is having them make Toyota branded (meaning OEM) filters for O'Reilly ... ?

1653158444452.png

No photo in you link ... but here's another one sold by O'Reilly. It looks to be a genuine Toyota branded oil filter, meaning it is OEM. Don't really know the "Line: PGF" means. Is that the "Premium Guard" reference? Maybe Toyota is having them make Toyota branded (meaning OEM) filters for O'Reilly ... ?

View attachment 100863
Thanks! I called Oreilly. Guy said it’s made by Premium Guard. I’ll check out your link. Thanks again.

No even your link says in more description made by Premium Guard. How do they have the Toyota picture and part number. Seems dishonest.

No even your link says in more description made by Premium Guard. How do they have the Toyota picture and part number. Seems dishonest.
Like I mentioned above, maybe Premium Guard is making them for sale in O'Reilly stores. Strange things go on in the oil filter world, but anything is possible these days.

If it looks like the photo on their website, and is packaged in a genuine Toyota box that is labeled as Toyota with the Toyota P/N, then it's probably a legitimate Toyota OEM filter. Like I mentioned before, any company can make OEM parts for a car company - but it has to be branded as Toyota (like in the photo) to technically be an OEM filter. Maybe Toyota needed to find a new filter manufacturer.

Toyota filters are only sourced through Toyota parts. WM, O Reilly, PG, whatever has to get them from Toyota USA. That why they have Toyota on them, a hologram on the box, Toyota USA as the supplier, and they are made by Denso in this case. Websites can have all kinds of mistakes. WM can sell Toyota filters, so can Premium Guard, so it may not be a mistake.
One thing I noticed is the prices of secondary retailers is always sky high like this one at OR. Dealers sell them under $4 in most cases online, sometimes at the dealer counter too. So $10 is a whole lot of mark up. That’s why they have a business I guess.

WM can sell Toyota filters, so can Premium Guard, so it may not be a mistake.

Premium Guard is a manufacture, not a wholesale or retail seller. That would be like saying Fram is selling OEM Toyota oil filters.

Nope ... if an oil filter is made by Fram and sold to fit a Toyota, and branded/labelled anything else but "Toyota", then it's an aftermarket part, not an OE or OEM part.

It has to be branded/labelled as "Toyota" to technically be a Toyota OE/OEM part ... regardless who makes it. Even 10 different companies could all be making the same Toyota OEM parts, but they are not technically OEM parts unless they are all labeled and package as such. If it's labeled anything else, it's an aftermarket part sold under the brand name that it's labeled as (ie, Fram, Premium Guard, MotoMaster, NAPA Gold, etc).

Do you understand what the M means?

OE - Original Equipment. The stuff that comes from the factory.

OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer. Very often you can buy the same part as OE in the aftermarket in a different box. This is extremely common. A good example is the TRW control arms Edy bought for his BMW that don’t have the M logo on them, in fact the M logo is literally ground off.

Another example is a Bosch diesel injector in just about any modern diesel. You can buy one from the dealer or you can buy one from a Bosch parts store without the OE logo on it for much less. It is the same product.

Source - 20 years in the parts industry.

Just add my .02. To this point since joining this site, never seen a Toyota labeled OEM filter made by Premium Guard. So if I see one posted here, it will be a first 'for me'.

Denso is by far the most popular maker of Toyota labeled OEM OFs. I have seen Toyota labeled OEM filters made by Purolator but they are not as common and don't know if that's still true.

As for specific topic, in my decades of diy oil and filter change, not very important at all. I've primarily always used aftermarket filters of my choice. OEM cartridges might be a bit more important, because fit (dimensions) in the housing pretty important. Spin on, not a factor.

Last edited:
Do you understand what the M means?

OE - Original Equipment. The stuff that comes from the factory.

OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer. Very often you can buy the same part as OE in the aftermarket in a different box. This is extremely common. A good example is the TRW control arms Edy bought for his BMW that don’t have the M logo on them, in fact the M logo is literally ground off.

Another example is a Bosch diesel injector in just about any modern diesel. You can buy one from the dealer or you can buy one from a Bosch parts store without the OE logo on it for much less. It is the same product.

Source - 20 years in the parts industry.
Seems what you are describing is OE vs OES, which basically describes the same parts, the parts that were supplied and used to originally build the car at the factory. There can also be a difference between the parts installed on the factory assembly line, and the same part bought from the dealership. Example is the oil filter installed at the factory (OES or OE filter), which is not the same OEM filter that can be bought from a dealership, The oil filters that come on Fords rolling off the assembly line are OE (regardless of who made them or how they are marked), but the ones bought at the Ford dealership branded as "Motorcraft" are OEM, again regardless of who made them (ie, Purolator makes "Motorcraft" branded oil filters).

There is difference between OES, OEM and Aftermarket. Did you read this?
"For starters, OES stands for Original Equipment Supplier, while OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Many of the parts you'll come across will fit one of these categories. People are sometimes confused because the definitions themselves are actually so similar. Put simply, an Original Equipment Supplier part is made by the manufacturer who made the original factory part for your vehicle model. On the other hand, an Original Equipment Manufacturer may not have made that specific part for your vehicle originally, but has an official contract history with the automaker."

Here's another one:
"OEM stands for original equipment manufacturer. OE stands for original equipment. OE parts are the components of the vehicle as it’s made in the factory – all of the original parts that the car was first built with. Once the car comes out of the factory, everything else is not an OE part."

Everyone likes to make up their own definitions it seems, but everything I see written about the automotive parts industry follows what I've been saying and linking. You got some links that show otherwise?

Last edited:
He is not correct.

A part with a genuine part number, purchased from a dealer is an OE part. If the OE filter is made by Fram for example, and sold through aftermarket part stores in a different box and with different labeling, it is an OEM part. This is very, very common.
To re-comment on this. The first sentence isn't technically correct because OE (aka OES) parts are those only installed at the production assembly line. If the same exact part was bought at the dealership after the car was made, then it would technically be the OEM part, regardless if made by the same manufacturer who made the OE (OES) part. Even if the same part was bought at the dealership (ie, Toyota, Mazda, Ford, Subaru, etc) was made by a different supplier than the OE part, it would still be considered a genuine OEM part.

The only time the 2nd statement would hold true for the part to be "OEM" is if Fram (or anyone else, like DENSO making a filter for Toyota) made a filter and labeled it as a "Toyota" brand part, and put it in a box that showed it was a genuine Toyota branded filter - just like if it was bought at a Toyota dealership. It would also have to be recognized by Toyota as being a "genuine Toyota OEM part". If it was made by some company and didn't carry the official Toyota P/N and not in an official Toyota package, then it's not truly a "Toyota OEM" part, but could be considered an "OE" part ... meaning a part that is not labeled at "Toyota" (ie, your Bosch injector example). An OE part that could be used buy many different auto makers.

Just because the same exact part is sold through different channels (your Bosch fuel injector example), doesn't mean the Bosch fuel injector that came in a box with no brand name (or simply 'Bosch" on the box) is still a specific car brand (like Toyota) "OEM" part. It might be "OE", but it's not "OEM" until it's branded as such (ie, a Genuine Toyota part). It just means that the same manufacturer of the part sells it to many different distributors for sale. The one that come in the box or package that says "Toyota" on it is technically the OEM part. The one that comes in the unmarked box (or some other parts seller's brand on the box, or even just "Bosch") is just the same part as the Toyota OEM part ... that's where the hair splitting comes in between OE (aka OES) and OEM.

One could argue that if an oil filter that was actually a genuine Toyota filter (officially made under contract by and for Toyota) that came in a plain white box was still a true OEM Toyota oil filter. But I highly doubt Toyota is going to allow their parts to be sold that way, without it being in some kind of genuine Toyota type packaging. The whole purpose of packaging markings such as "Toyota", "Motorcraft", "AC Delco", "Mazda", "Subaru", etc is to show that they are recognized as genuine OEM parts, regardless of who made them for those auto makers.

Last edited:
One thing that can’t be made up is the definition of supplier. They can make and supply, or just supply. A word is a word.
Denso makes the OR Toyota filters. The PGR line may include them to sell, for high profit, or it is just a website mix up. PG have their owned factories? Not sure they do that, or just contract manufacturers. On a scale of importance 1-10, 10 being most important, whether they do manufacture or not is a 1.

3 days of people answering the question with nearly everyone saying it's not necessary to run an OE Toyota filter. OP insists on using one anyway so it seems they have two choices find someone who sells it locally or pay shipping to have one shipped in. Personally, I'd use the money that it would cost to have one shipped and buy another aftermarket filter for the next oil change. Two filters for the price of one.

Seems what you are describing is OE vs OES, which basically describes the same parts, the parts that were supplied and used to originally build the car at the factory. There can also be a difference between the parts installed on the factory assembly line, and the same part bought from the dealership. Example is the oil filter installed at the factory (OES or OE filter), which is not the same OEM filter that can be bought from a dealership, The oil filters that come on Fords rolling off the assembly line are OE (regardless of who made them or how they are marked), but the ones bought at the Ford dealership branded as "Motorcraft" are OEM, again regardless of who made them (ie, Purolator makes "Motorcraft" branded oil filters).

There is difference between OES, OEM and Aftermarket. Did you read this?
"For starters, OES stands for Original Equipment Supplier, while OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Many of the parts you'll come across will fit one of these categories. People are sometimes confused because the definitions themselves are actually so similar. Put simply, an Original Equipment Supplier part is made by the manufacturer who made the original factory part for your vehicle model. On the other hand, an Original Equipment Manufacturer may not have made that specific part for your vehicle originally, but has an official contract history with the automaker."

Here's another one:
"OEM stands for original equipment manufacturer. OE stands for original equipment. OE parts are the components of the vehicle as it’s made in the factory – all of the original parts that the car was first built with. Once the car comes out of the factory, everything else is not an OE part."

Everyone likes to make up their own definitions it seems, but everything I see written about the automotive parts industry follows what I've been saying and linking. You got some links that show otherwise?

The technical definition of an OE part is the factory part, one that came from the factory. However the industry has adopted it to also mean original, same as factory parts from the dealer because differentiating between the same part with the same part number like that would be confusing and somewhat stupid. It’s just the way it is.

I have never heard of the term ‘OES.’

The technical definition of an OE part is the factory part, one that came from the factory. However the industry has adopted it to also mean original, same as factory parts from the dealer because differentiating between the same part with the same part number like that would be confusing and somewhat stupid. It’s just the way it is.

I have never heard of the term ‘OES.’

The term "OES" (Original Equipment Supplier) is nothing new ... and an OES part is the same as an "OE" part - ie, a part supplied and used in the manufacturing of the vehicle on the factory assembly line (same as your first sentence). If the same exact "OE" part is also sold through the dealership as their branded part (ie, Toyota, Ford/Motorcraft, Mazda, Subaru, etc), then it's now technically an "OEM" part.

Even if that dealership OEM part is made by someone different from who made the OE factory part (which happens quite often), then it's still an OEM part because it's approved, identified and labeled as Toyota, Motorcraft, Mazda, Subaru, etc. If someone else like Walmart or O'Reilly Auto Parts sells genuine Toyota or Motorcraft filters labeled as such, then those are still OEM filters. OEM parts can be the same exact part made by the same place as the OE part, but OEM parts can also be the same equivalent part made by someone else to the auto maker's specs, and it will have the same auto maker P/N and brand labeling. What it boils down to is that once any part is branded and sold as a genuine Toyota, Ford, Subaru, Mazda, etc branded part, then it becomes an OEM part.

A search for OES parts shows it's nothing new as far as terminology in the parts industry.

The term "OES" (Original Equipment Supplier) is nothing new ... and an OES part is the same as an "OE" part - ie, a part supplied and used in the manufacturing of the vehicle on the factory assembly line (same as your first sentence). If the same exact "OE" part is also sold through the dealership as their branded part (ie, Toyota, Ford/Motorcraft, Mazda, Subaru, etc), then it's now technically an "OEM" part.

Even if that dealership OEM part is made by someone different from who made the OE factory part (which happens quite often), then it's still an OEM part because it's approved, identified and labeled as Toyota, Motorcraft, Mazda, Subaru, etc. If someone else like Walmart or O'Reilly Auto Parts sells genuine Toyota or Motorcraft filters labeled as such, then those are still OEM filters. OEM parts can be the same exact part made by the same place as the OE part, but OEM parts can also be the same equivalent part made by someone else to the auto maker's specs, and it will have the same auto maker P/N and brand labeling. What it boils down to is that once any part is branded and sold as a genuine Toyota, Ford, Subaru, Mazda, etc branded part, then it becomes an OEM part.

A search for OES parts shows it's nothing new as far as terminology in the parts industry.

We’ll agree to disagree

^^^ (y)

I've come to find that people either misunderstand the definitions, or make up their own definitions instead of using the definitions used in the actual industry ... not a surprise I guess, that happens a lot with many things.

I take from skimming 7 pages of the OP asking is an OEM filter important because he can't find the correct oe item.. OP is adamant in using OEM even though many of us stated the non importance of oe. This post should be need help locating OEM filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back