How important is an OEM oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered an OEM 90915-YZZN1 filter from Oreilly auto parts. I called and they said it’s after market…
A part can't be OEM with a Toyota P/N and also be "aftermarket" at the same time. OEM parts can be made by anyone, but if it's sold as a branded Toyota part with a Toyota P/N, then it's OEM, the same part that the dealership would sell. Parts that are "equivalent to" and "meet OEM" specs are simply aftermarket parts.

Last edited:
Genuine Toyota filters generally have the worst filtration - close to 50%. Better to get a Fram Ultra with filtration at 99%+ @20 microns.

A part can't be OEM with a Toyota P/N and also be "aftermarket" at the same time. OEM parts can be made by anyone, but if it's sold as a branded Toyota part with a Toyota P/N, then it's OEM, the same part that the dealership would sell. Parts that are "equivalent to" and "meet OEM" specs are simply aftermarket parts.
That’s what I don’t get. Oreilly auto parts tried to sell me online a Toyota part number saying is OEM but made by Premium Guard

FWIW, Fram lists the same filter - XX4967 - for 2020, 2021, and 2022 RAV4 models so whatever Toyota changed may be rather superficial.

Just double-checked O'Reilly and they list the YZZN1 part. The only one I saw "wrong" was the Amazon listing.
Supposedly the N1 filter is for 0W-16 oil, while Toyota calls for the F2 filter if 0W-20 or thicker is used.

N1 is made by Toyota Boshoku in China, F2 is Thai.

Supposedly the N1 filter is for 0W-16 oil, while Toyota calls for the F2 filter if 0W-20 or thicker is used.

N1 is made by Toyota Boshoku in China, F2 is Thai.
The N1 is made in Thailand same as F2 and I no longer see the F2 at dealers. I was looking and they had F1 or N1, which replaces the F2. I have N1 filters, and they are not made in China. The N1 is for any oil. Where are you getting your information from?

Genuine Toyota filters generally have the worst filtration - close to 50%. Better to get a Fram Ultra with filtration at 99%+ @20 microns.
The N1 is a new design,and even the others are not likely the same. Your reference is one data point on one filter listed by Amsoil 11 years ago. Even that says 51%, and has no evidence from the testing lab itself. Not something to hang a hat on forever. But if that’s what the oil filter section is, it is what it is.

The N1 is made in Thailand same as F2 and I no longer see the F2 at dealers. I was looking and they had F1 or N1, which replaces the F2. I have N1 filters, and they are not made in China. The N1 is for any oil. Where are you getting your information from?
It was an older TSB @The Critic mentioned to me. If Toyota is axing the F2 and only stocking the F1 for older cars(5S-FE/2AZ-FE Camry and RAV4) and N1 for everything else that doesn’t use that wretched canister filter, the aftermarket consolidation to a Fram 4967/Wix 51394 size makes sense.

Can't believe this thread is still going.

The question has been answered, using a Toyota filter is not important.
Any Fram xx4967, Wix 51394, Mobil 1 M1-103, Supertech 4967, or Purolator 144476 (and several other makes) are all valid alternatives that will work just as well or better than the Toyota branded filter, and are very easy to find.

Nothing wrong with going OE, but not needed.

That’s what I don’t get. Oreilly auto parts tried to sell me online a Toyota part number saying is OEM but made by Premium Guard

He is not correct.

A part with a genuine part number, purchased from a dealer is an OE part. If the OE filter is made by Fram for example, and sold through aftermarket part stores in a different box and with different labeling, it is an OEM part. This is very, very common.

He is not correct.

A part with a genuine part number, purchased from a dealer is an OE part. If the OE filter is made by Fram for example, and sold through aftermarket part stores in a different box and with different labeling, it is an OEM part. This is very, very common.
So OE or OEM cannot have the same part # has the genuine Toyota part?

OEM does not mean Toyota. That would be OE. OEM is the Original Equipment manufacturer, who in this case would likely be one of several large filter manufacturers.

So if the O'Reilly filter is the OE filter with different paint and sold in a different box, they are correct.
The filter would have to be branded/labeled as "Toyota" to be OEM. It's true that any company can make OEM parts, but it is not an OEM part if it does not have the sellers' brand name and logo on it.

For example, Purolator makes "Motorcraft" branded oil filters, so those oil filters are OEM. They are not however OES (parts uses when the car was made at the factory) - that's a different animal.

Purolator also makes Purolator oil filters that are branded as "Purolator" or other various brand names that will fit that same Ford vehicle that takes the Motorcraft OEM filter. Those other branded oil filters are "Aftermarket" oil filters, not OEM.

So OE or OEM cannot have the same part # has the genuine Toyota part?
There's a difference between a part having a specific part number printed on the item and packaging, and that part being equivalent to a specific part number.

The terms OE and OEM can be used interchangeably.

There are three types of parts described in the parts industry:
OES
OEM (or just OE)
Aftermarket

Last edited:
Highly doubt any oil filter is specifically designed to be used for one specific oil viscosity. If so, I'd like to hear it directly from the oil filter manufacturer.

He is not correct.

Nope ... if an oil filter is made by Fram and sold to fit a Toyota, and branded/labelled anything else but "Toyota", then it's an aftermarket part, not an OE or OEM part.

It has to be branded/labelled as "Toyota" to technically be a Toyota OE/OEM part ... regardless who makes it. Even 10 different companies could all be making the same Toyota OEM parts, but they are not technically OEM parts unless they are all labeled and package as such. If it's labeled anything else, it's an aftermarket part sold under the brand name that it's labeled as (ie, Fram, Premium Guard, MotoMaster, NAPA Gold, etc).

Last edited:
I have never heard that Premium Guard makes any oil filters labeled as "Toyota". Got a link to it on their website? Does it actually have a Toyota part number printed on the can and box? I highly doubt it.

I think the parts guys at these stores are making up their own definitions of "OEM".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back