How does this Mann oil filter perform ?

Mann oil filter # W 719/7

It’s a regular spin on type filter that I’m going to be putting on my 2002 Jaguar XKR with 171,000 miles. It’s my daily driver, so I’m wanting to keep it in as good of condition as possible.

I have been using the Jaguar branded filter, I don’t know who makes it for them.

Hearing on this forum that the Mann filters are usually well made, I’m prompted to switch from the Jag filter to the Mann. Is that a wise move, or inconsequential ?

regards,

Z

Welcome!

Who says it does?
Better than what, in what, for how long?

ck my edited post. Pushed the wrong button and posted before I had completed my typing

btw, I’ve been on the forum in past years (user name zray) but lost email and password so had to start over again with new user name

As far as I know no one has posted a Mann filter here that has shown tearing or any other physical anomaly. Do they publish an efficiency rating for the filter? If not then it's not really much of an issue since you probably cannot compare it against the Jaguar OEM filter.

Filtration efficiency and construction integrity are what matter with filters.

PS

I have been using Mobil 1 filters on all of my classic cars, but they quit making a filter for my Jaguar model.

MotorCraft FL-2021 is a fit, but a much smaller length than the Jag filters I’ve been using .

As far as I know no one has posted a Mann filter here that has shown tearing or any other physical anomaly. Do they publish an efficiency rating for the filter? If not then it's not really much of an issue since you probably cannot compare it against the Jaguar OEM filter.

Filtration efficiency and construction integrity are what matter with filters.

I haven’t been able to find on this forum a comprehensive comparison of filtering efficiency. If I’ve overlooked something , please advise. AFAIK, Mann doesn’t publish those specifications.

Again, I certainly could’ve overlooked something. At 70 years old, cognition is not at its best.

I haven’t been able to find on this forum a comprehensive comparison of filtering efficiency. If I’ve overlooked something , please advise. AFAIK, Mann doesn’t publish those specifications.
You can try emailing them and ask what the efficiency rating is.

Hi zray1,

Thanks for the clarification. @kschachn is correct, if you are interested in efficiency, FRAM usually has the information on the box. I coulcn't find anything from the Mann W 719/7. As far as i know, Mann is a quality product. I would probably go with the FRAM as they publish more information than most.

JAGUAR XKR 2002 V8 4.0L​

PART NAMEPART #ENGINEDESCRIPTION

EXTRA GUARD
Spin-on Oil Filter
PH5618V8 4.0LExtra Guard® is the perfect filter for everyday drivers who perform oil changes at OE recommended intervals. Extra Guard® has cellulose and glass blended media that provides advanced engine protection for your vehicle. Engineered with a silicone anti-drain back valve, Extra Guard® meets all manufacturer’s recommended change intervals.
Years: 2002
NOTES:
  1. Use until inventory is depleted
  2. Superseded by PH9010

EXTRA GUARD
Spin-on Oil Filter
PH9010V8 4.0LExtra Guard® is the perfect filter for everyday drivers who perform oil changes at OE recommended intervals. Extra Guard® has cellulose and glass blended media that provides advanced engine protection for your vehicle. Engineered with a silicone anti-drain back valve, Extra Guard® meets all manufacturer’s recommended change intervals.
NOTES:
  1. Supersedes PH5618

FRAM DRIVE
Spin-on Oil Filter
FD5618V8 4.0LFRAM Drive™ is the perfect oil filter for everyday drivers. Compatible with both conventional and synthetic oil types, FRAM Drive™ provides engine protection for up to 7,500 miles.
Shop Now
Advanced Auto Parts

Mann and Hummel took over Wix so that would work. The number for the filter is 51228. Or you can get a Fram PH9010 like mentioned above. Either way you’ll be good. The Fram may be a little more affordable compared to the Wix and it’s the same efficiency of 95% at 20 microns.

There were lab test efficiency numbers posted before for Mann from their website. I think it was 50%@20 microns or something. May not be the multi pass test. Mann is really all you need to know and it’s a good filter. You could post your Jaguar filter pictures up and it should have a country of origin on it. Or describe it. I probably would use the only original brand, Jaguar.

The country of origin on the Jaguar branded filter is France.

After removing the filter to may spot the filter media. If it's a chevron pattern looking like that it's made by Purflux:

sPxo9JZ.jpeg

Quite often Purflux canister style oil filters are painted dark blue.

equivalent parts for your Jag are:

Purflux LS949
Mann W719/7
Mahle OC323
Wix WL7267

You can't go wrong with either Mann, Mahle, Purflux or Wix.

I've been exclusively using Mann filters for the last few years. They always seem really well made and I've gone through hundreds of Mann filters without any issues. I just treat them as an OEM quality filter and don't question anything. Easy to get in the UK, either from Autodoc or Euro Car Parts. I like their antibacterial pollen filters too.

After removing the filter to may spot the filter media. If it's a chevron pattern looking like that it's made by Purflux:

sPxo9JZ.jpeg

I’ll cut the next one open and see what’s inside, all the ones I’ve bought have been either white or black.

CF7DCCCE-E818-4CCF-B381-B9F6C0CAFDA2.jpg

i’ve never used the mann for the v8. this is the one for the straight six, don’t know if it’s worth $15 to be honest

sPxo9JZ.jpeg

equivalent parts for your Jag are:

Purflux LS949
Mann W719/7
Mahle OC323
Wix WL7267

You can't go wrong with either Mann, Mahle, Purflux or Wix.

The Jaguar branded filter does have the “zig-zag” pattern you described, country of manufacture is France.

I replaced it with the Mann oil filter : W719 / 7

Z

Attachments

• 53E98AFC-D4CD-4BF7-BAE7-67BDEF415225.jpeg
    53E98AFC-D4CD-4BF7-BAE7-67BDEF415225.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 19
I run either a Volvo OEM or a Mann W917 in my I6, 24V, 2.9 liter, 960. Mann makes an excellent oil filter.

Back