Vw 2.0 tsi filter - MANN makes STP, WIX, Purolator..etc

Hi guys. I have posted this in another forum (VW specific) but it is important. Have seen here some people having doubts if the Mann made in Germany is better than Mexican or American made filters. But appears that it country of manufactoring depends on the car/engien the filter is made for. For one car it could be made elsevere than another.
I usually do not write much in forums but i think i got some very important clue. I was thinking the only other filter i would use is the MANN. Most of the VW Audi peope i know do the same. Did you think the MANN oil filter is second best after the OEM filter?
Looks like there are quite a lot of other brands the "outsource" their filter for the 2.0 engine directly from MANN. They basically have clone filters. And I found 2 better filter (there might be few more too)
I made a little bit boring video but better than nothing. The video is long but if you watch you will see that for Example Purolator Or STP have improved filter with synthetic media while Carquest, Napa, Bosch, WIX, Microguard and few others have the Original oem filter inside. Never knew when going to oreily can get you oem filter. Or even better according to me.

I will go over few brands here that I found to be exact oem filter and made in Germany

STP S10600 and S10600XL sold at autozone - the regular and the medium grade are made in USA with ok quality.
STP S10600ML - has oem made filter by MANN with improved "white" synthetic media

Carquest (advance auto)the very regular one has been US made (same as stp regular) and then they switched to german made by MANN which is exact OEM filter

NAPA - Proselect and gold are by now updated german made by MANN filter. Possibly the Gold is white synthetic media while the pro select is exact oem filter (exeption: some filters may be the Polish made which are updated by now but your store may still have the old one)

Microguard sold at oreily - this is also an OEM filter made in germany
WIX - Another oem filter. Wix does not make XP version of that filter.
FRAM - Previously made in USA (same as STP and mobil1 EP) but now made in china with surprising quality and the "Ultra synthetic" series is white media and mesh backed (or fronted actually)

K&N - USA made filter just like STP and Mobil1. K&N does not have the higher class "HP" series filter for this engine which is usaually the synthetic media for other cars.

Mobil 1 -20 000 miles extended performance - Disappointment from mobil 1. This is same exact filter as STP and I doubt it's the very best filter here. Although not a garbage they should not misadvertise it for 20000 miles. Or maybe the other companies misadvertise their filters instead.

MANN - It's a Mann filter lol
OEM - It's a Mann made filter and has 2 small differences, maybe so its not a direct clone and VW can say its actually different. The thread insert is tiny bit higher and made by different color steel. Also the plastic part on the bottom is different. Filtering media itself is 1:1

BOSCH Premium - Its Chinese made and very good quality. According to the catalog and looking at their extended performance filter is made in Germany by Mann but no idea which version of it. Bosch makes "Distance plus" filters which are made in Germany by Mann but have no idea if it is the exact OEM or the improved white media. They do not make the "workshop" one

Champ Labs - they have also updated their 2.0tsi filter to a German made MANN but no idea if it's the exact oem or the "white" filter

Penzzoil - I couldn't find where to buy it but looks like it is german made filter by MANN but no idea which one of the 2 it is.

There might be some other ones out there.
Let me know if you guy have any other info or there is something wrong with the review

https://youtu.be/4fmTeZMvzg4

These are some photos for quick refference
[Linked Image from media.snimka.bg]

[Linked Image from media.snimka.bg]

http://media.snimka.bg/s1/6470/039184863-big.jpg?r=0
http://media.snimka.bg/s1/6470/039184864-big.jpg?r=0
http://media.snimka.bg/s1/6470/039184865-big.jpg?r=0
http://media.snimka.bg/s1/6470/039184866-big.jpg?r=0
http://media.snimka.bg/s1/6470/039184867-big.jpg?r=0
http://media.snimka.bg/s1/6470/039184868-big.jpg?r=0

http://media.snimka.bg/s1/6470/039184870-big.jpg?r=0

The 10600 is a very uncommon filter. No surprise that its mostly the same.

On the 2870, a MANN and Purolator are similar but not quite the same. Nothing like it is with the 10600.

Thanks for the pictures. That is some great work!

Thanks
the 10600 but which of them you mean? they are 3.

And why Mann and purolator are not the same? Purolator classic is 1:1 with MANNexcept the paint outside

Originally Posted by Georgi1
And why Mann and purolator are not the same? Purolator classic is 1:1 with MANNexcept the paint outside

I'm talking about on other applications the Purolator doesn't match up to the Mann. Like on a 2870 ( Volkswagen 2.slow) the filters aren't the same. The 10600 isn't very common so it makes a lot of sense to just rebrand the filter instead of designing something new for such a low quantity application.

On other aplication probably. There could be so many. But purolator is owned by Mann so on many cases you would have like here - not just rebranded or reverse engineered filter but made by mann as appears probably on the same production line

I should get the purolator one and see whats inside but from the outside its the same as classic. So like the carquest - 2 different filters - same exact insides

Preface by saying, I did not watch the video. As for the Purolator (far right, black can) in this display, it is the "Boss" filter which by definition is a "synthetic media" filter made by Purolator. That explains the difference between it and the other Mann/Puro filters. It looks like M&H decided use the German white Mann adbv for all, I do believe it is silicone.

The STP ML shown is very similar to the Puro Boss, but at AZ stores locally those are no longer made by Puro. They are now a manufacturer with a China coo.

"From what I can see", all the filters from the Puro red on the left to the Puro WS(?) on the right "appear" identical. Not really too surprising. They 'could' all be the Mann filter element just using a different can. Can't say if their efficiency the same, I'll just say possible for this application.

I'd add you certainly spent a lot of money to find the best filter for VW/Audi application(s), hope you achieve your goal.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
All indications are and I think it's safe to say Mann makes the OEM filter. The specific pic linked in the OP would appear to confirm that too.

http://media.snimka.bg/s1/6470/039184863-big.jpg?r=0

That was my thought as well. I asked in part because of this snippet from the OP first comment.

"Did you think the MANN oil filter is second best after the OEM filter? "

WIX is completely owned by MANN-HUMMEL. Puralator was sold to joint venture between MANN and Mahle. MANN pulled out of that in 2017 (I think that was the year). Take into consideration that sometimes MANN and Mahle look and feel identical. Mahle could have bit darker media.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
The 10600 is a very uncommon filter. No surprise that its mostly the same.

On the 2870, a MANN and Purolator are similar but not quite the same. Nothing like it is with the 10600.

Thanks for the pictures. That is some great work!

Heck yeah ^^^^^^

That is a tremendous amount of work and $$....

Wow. Holy cow...

…. Puralator was sold to joint venture between MANN and Mahle. MANN pulled out of that in 2017 (I think that was the year).
Link to source of Purolator information?

Mann& Hummel acquired all of Purolator in March 2013 after being half owner with Bosch since 2006. Acquired from Arvin Meritor. No connection to Mahle.

As for Wix, M&H acquired them in 2016 and complete information found here. In short with few exceptions, like topic, Wix labeled, Napa Gold, XP/Platinum 'spin on' sold in the US remain Wix construction made in US.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
…. Puralator was sold to joint venture between MANN and Mahle. MANN pulled out of that in 2017 (I think that was the year).
Link to source of Purolator information?

Mann& Hummel acquired all of Purolator in March 2013 after being half owner with Bosch since 2006. Acquired from Arvin Meritor. No connection to Mahle.

As for Wix, M&H acquired them in 2016 and complete information found here. In short with few exceptions, like topic, Wix labeled, Napa Gold, XP/Platinum 'spin on' sold in the US remain Wix construction made in US.

I made mistake, it was joint venture with Bosch, and you are right, Bosch sold it. Not Mahle.

Just bought a Napa Gold for an early 2000s VW Jetta with the 2.0 and it was still a regular US Wix filter. Not the TSI version obviously but I am surprised they don't do the same for this filter.

Next time ask them to just check out the next (after the 2.0tsi) engine filter. Its cartridge. I think 2013 VW Jetta 2.5 5 cyl uses it. For now the purolator are the same story like this - made in germany. Also possible to be the unupdated part. In my case the store had both of them. go figure

Just bought the microgaurd filter from Orielly's and ordered a 5 liter jug of 0w-40 from walmart for 22 bucks. Less than $30 for a full synthetic oil change. I love FCP. Closest I could come would be $48 for Pentosin and a Mann filter. Will be my first change with 0w-40 instead of 5w-40. Would usually get the Moly from FCP or Castrol, but after some reading here, I was talked out of the premium price for Moly. Anything I should look for when switching to the 0-40?

Back