Jaguar - 10k recommended OCI - what filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Did some used car shopping recently and my wife got all googly eyed over this Black '04 Jaguar S-type. So naturally, we now have a Black '04 Jaguar S-type
smirk.gif
Did a couple minor repairs and it seems to be running nicely.
It has a 3.0L Duratec with a little over 90k. Jaguar recommends 10k OCI's. Seems a bit of a stretch, but the engine holds 7-7.5 qts of oil, so I guess it's logical that with good oil and a good filter 10k should be doable. I've been mainly keeping Trop Artic synthetic blend in both vehicles lately. I pick up some full synth on sale now and then as well. I think I have couple gallons of QS synthetic at the moment.

My concern is I'm not crazy about having to track down a Jaguar filter when it's time for a change, especially when I'm pretty sure it's a common filter with Jaguar paint on it.

Some research indicates Mann may be one of the primary suppliers. I'm really not sure.
What I'd like to know is what would be a good option among the more readily available brands. Would a MC FL-400S be up to that level of performance? Or should I go with a premium fram? Others?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Turbocharged2.3
we now have a Black '04 Jaguar S-type

I'm sorry to hear that.

I'd use a Mann

Jaguar recommends 10k OCI's.

Are you actually going to follow that recommendation ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

The duratec 3.0L is fantastic. I do 10K OCI in my Mercury Milan which has the same engine, works great. No problems to report after 112K miles. It's a 6.0L sump.

We had a 2002 and it was a beautiful vehicle but it was not the most reliable. The engine was great 3.0 but the car itself had electrical issues and other things also from brand new. They are not the best vehicles for reliability thats for sure.. Guard your keys with your life they are a lot of money to have made.

I recently switched to a Motorcraft FL-400S on her Lexus. I use it for 7.5k OCI's with Mobil 1 5w-30HM (sometimes Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30). Previously I had been using NAPA/Wix filters. I sleep well. Better, actually.

The spec'd filter on the Lexus of ours is an (equivalent) Motorcraft FL-910S so I went with a slightly larger filter (FL-400s) for more media and holding capacity (same gasket size/flow rate/bypass rate). I think a a FL-400S would do fine for 7.5k to 10k with a sump that large; ours is only 5.0 qts. Personally, if I were you, I would likely decide to run 7.5k OCI's with synthetic oils and an FL-400s if it were my car and not excessively short-tripped.

While you could go to an FL-1A for more filtration, you'd have to see if you have room for it, and also you'd also give up the silicone ADBV in the 400S for the nitrile in the 1A.

Last edited:
The duratec 3.0, in the mainline Ford applications, takes an FL820s, not the FL400s, And the 2 aren't interchangeable. Aside from dimensional differences, the 2 use different threads. The 820 is a metric thread, where the 400s is a "standard" thread pitch. I have heard some say the newer FL 500s is interchangeable with the 820, same threads, but the can is sized more or less like an Fl400s.

Is that rambling/confusing enough?

BTW the other Ford 3.0 V6(Vulcan) did use the FL400s... Just to be confusing...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I'm sorry to hear that.

I'd use a Mann

The only problem with that is unless you find a German made Mann filter, its coming from the Purolator factory in NC, is basically a pureone with a different paintjob.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
The duratec 3.0, in the mainline Ford applications, takes an FL820s, not the FL400s, And the 2 aren't interchangeable. Aside from dimensional differences, the 2 use different threads. The 820 is a metric thread, where the 400s is a "standard" thread pitch. I have heard some say the newer FL 500s is interchangeable with the 820, same threads, but the can is sized more or less like an Fl400s.

Is that rambling/confusing enough?

BTW the other Ford 3.0 V6(Vulcan) did use the FL400s... Just to be confusing...

huh... looks like fram spec's the 3600 for the 3.0 in your Jag...(3600 is an oversized 3614, in the motorcraft numbers, it's the FL400s, which is an oversized Fl910s...)

in which case, if you want a well regarded filter, that's easy to find, readily available, and "rated" for the 10k distance, Fram Ultra XG3600 gets my vote.

and...oddly...WIX, calls for 51214, which is apparently a Motorcycle Filter....fram crosses it to a 6068....shows it's main application as harley's...I was expecting wix to call for 51516, wich is the Fl400s/3600/etc equivalent... odd...

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
We had a 2002 and it was a beautiful vehicle but it was not the most reliable. The engine was great 3.0 but the car itself had electrical issues and other things also from brand new. They are not the best vehicles for reliability thats for sure.. Guard your keys with your life they are a lot of money to have made.

2004 Jag S-type short story: My uncle makes a 2,000 mile trip to see us in his Jag. Gets 1 mile from our house and blows a water pump! (year happened is 2010) Gets a tow into town and has PepBoys (eek gad!) put a water pump on his Jag. Then, when he leave, it breaks down again, this time 500 miles from his home.

in which case, if you want a well regarded filter, that's easy to find, readily available, and "rated" for the 10k distance, Fram Ultra XG3600 gets my vote.

I've never seen anything better than a Fram Ultra, for a lot of reasons. Filtering, capacity, durability, its all there. Ez choice. XG3600

As for oil, any oil in your current stash will do fine in that massive sump for up to 1 year. Change it every 6 months if you don't usually get the engine hot (short trips mostly). The Fram Ultra, leave it in for the full 15k miles its rated to go, change it independently of an oil dump.
I'd pick M1 High-Mileage 5w-30 (another walmart item, like the Ultra is) in your Jag for the long run after your current stash is gone.

The only problem with that is unless you find a German made Mann filter, its coming from the Purolator factory in NC, is basically a pureone with a different paintjob.

General consensus is that Purolator-made Manns are Classics, not PureONEs.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

General consensus is that Purolator-made Manns are Classics, not PureONEs.

cuz that makes it better... just another "tearolator"

Only use a Purolator classic or p1 if you think oil filtering doesn't matter and you don't mind the media inside getting a hole in it. For those people, tearolators are great.

Jaguar has recommended 10K OCI since at least the 80's, so this is nothing new, and nothing to worry about.

You can order filters online easily if you want the OEM part.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I'm sorry to hear that.

I'd use a Mann

Whoa, wasn't aware of that. Definitely use something else.

I agree don't use anything made by Tearolater... However i picked up a filter for a friends 1996 volvo 850 and it seems to be a very very well made oil filter (I believe its a Mann that says Volvo) I was really impressed by looking at it and feeling its weight although it is hard to get an oil filter wrench on it because of the design. It also eliminated a cold start tick he had with most of the other filters he has used.
Seems like a Great quality filter but i will know for sure in 5000 miles when we cut it open!

Thanks for all the feedback.
Let me catch up...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I plan to.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

Lots of changes in '03. Most noticeably changing from Ford's 5 speed to ZF's 6 speed. In my pre-purchase research there was a strong general opinion to find an '03+.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
I recently switched to a Motorcraft FL-400S ...I think a a FL-400S would do fine for 7.5k to 10k with a sump that large.. I would likely decide to run 7.5k OCI's with synthetic oils and an FL-400s if it were my car and not excessively short-tripped.

It is generally short-tripped. Vast majority of trips are school, work and back. 8-10 mi round trip city streets.
It'll get on the hwy for 20+ mi once or twice a week.

huh... looks like fram spec's the 3600 for the 3.0 in your Jag...(3600 is an oversized 3614, in the motorcraft numbers, it's the FL400s, which is an oversized Fl910s...)

and...oddly...WIX, calls for 51214, which is apparently a Motorcycle Filter....fram crosses it to a 6068....shows it's main application as harley's...I was expecting wix to call for 51516, wich is the Fl400s/3600/etc equivalent... odd...

XG3600 seems like a good option. ~$7.50 at Wally world.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus

2004 Jag S-type short story: My uncle makes a 2,000 mile trip to see us in his Jag. Gets 1 mile from our house and blows a water pump! (year happened is 2010) Gets a tow into town and has PepBoys (eek gad!) put a water pump on his Jag. Then, when he leave, it breaks down again, this time 500 miles from his home.

Well -- water pumps do fail from time to time. Wonder what the 2nd problem was.

Quote:

I've never seen anything better than a Fram Ultra, for a lot of reasons. Filtering, capacity, durability, its all there. Ez choice. XG3600
As for oil, any oil in your current stash will do fine in that massive sump for up to 1 year. Change it every 6 months if you don't usually get the engine hot (short trips mostly). The Fram Ultra, leave it in for the full 15k miles its rated to go, change it independently of an oil dump.
I'd pick M1 High-Mileage 5w-30 (another walmart item, like the Ultra is) in your Jag for the long run after your current stash is gone.

Sounds like a weiner. I like the drain and fill at 7.5k idea.

Originally Posted By: holdorf333
FL500S

won't work in this application.
the FL-500s has metric threads(22mmx1.5mm), which would be fine for this engine in a Ford(FL500s is supposedly interchangeable with the FL820s), but in the Jag application, it calls for a 3600 equiv(aka FL400s) which has a standard thread (3/4-16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back