Toyota / Denso OEM Oil Filter, 10k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by diyjake
Toyota went from a 5K OCI to 10K OCI which is a huge jump and kept the same filter and that just doesn't make any sense with a conventional filter.

I am not a huge fan of 10K OCI, they can be done but you need a really good filter and UOA and the average sure doesn't think about either of these things. Plus if you run 10K OCI you need to keep an eye on the oil level and I bet mostly people hardly ever open their hood between oil changes unless they are maintenance freaks like us here on BITOG.

Toyota, for the Corolla's anyway, went from from 10K to 5K and then back to 10K again, after they got past their clogging low tension piston ring issues. So the huge jump was tested before, at least as far as filters were concerned. Maybe not so much for rings.

But yes for older cars, 10K is a long way to go on a 4 quart sump. Caddies and Vettes and other vehicles with long synthetic era OCI's have bigger sumps. If I didn't check the oil sometimes I wouldn't have caught the Honda Pilot before the CEL/low oil warning would have come on. It turned out to be a clogged PCV valve, but low oil is low oil. But then again, when do manufacturers care about post-warranty maintenance issues?

Every cartridge filter I've pulled out of my Toyota looked perfect after 10K. Even the Tearolator. I don't worry about them at all.

Although simple in construction, the Toyota cartridge filters are reliable and perform their job. It seems with so many people running newer vehicles formthe full 10k recommended OCI for the life of the vehicle, we would have heard of a problem with the OEM filters if there was one.

I can sell you some OEM filters for $25+ if you'd feel better running a filter that's more expensive. Let me know how much over $25 you'd like to pay.

I'm sure Toyota didn't just say the same 5k filter is now suddenly good for 10k. They did "some testing"
laugh.gif
and concluded their filter is at least adequate. You will be fine. Just be sure to follow the normal or severe service intervals, as appropriate for your driving habits.

Everyone is stressing too much over filtration. I do it every other OCI and sleep well at night. If Toyota says it's fine is it worth stressing over it?

Originally Posted by ARB1977
Honda recommends a filter change every other oil change. Can be 15K on cheap Honda filters.

Yeah - that's what I was getting at. However, as long as it's a "normal" service then that's 10k miles per OCI and 20k miles before there's a new filter.

I believe Toyota recommends one along with an oil change.

That being said, the majority of owners have someone else do it. Every professional oil service I've heard of includes an oil filter change including at a dealer.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by ARB1977
Honda recommends a filter change every other oil change. Can be 15K on cheap Honda filters.

Yeah - that's what I was getting at. However, as long as it's a "normal" service then that's 10k miles per OCI and 20k miles before there's a new filter.

I believe Toyota recommends one along with an oil change.

That being said, the majority of owners have someone else do it. Every professional oil service I've heard of includes an oil filter change including at a dealer.

You need to read the fine print on normal driving. Most of the USA operates in severe...... or so says S. Korea.....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back