Is OEM Filter for 4 Cyl Toyota Camry up to 10K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the dealer change the oil at 5K miles and it was done again at 10K as called for in the service manual. Eventually I will move to the recommended OCI of 10K miles (probably beginning now). Would you trust the Toyota OEM cartridge oil filter to go 10K miles?

For a car that has been taken care of yea should be fine. If its been abused then probably not.

Most oils last much longer and cars today run much cleaner than before. So many oil filters will never get close to clogged up on cars that use good oil and have been serviced properly.

Yes it can.
The manual says 10k OCI. yet look in the Camry maintenance guide it gives normal and severe service and the definitions and OCI for each case.

I fall under severe and change at 5K.

If the vehicle manufacturer, Toyota in this case, specs the fci for your driving profile to 10k miles in normal service, then they think so and warranty it for that long. No reason to doubt them, no worries.

Second time I've seen this question recently. If the vehicle owners manual specs the oil filter for given oci/fci then it's warrantied for that long. When out of vehicle warranty and you want to run it longer then it's at your discretion.

I'd say Toyota filters are high quality and can go that interval, especially if the manufacturer says to. I imagine it would be a PR nightmare if their filters couldn't go the distance they suggest, and Toyota goes out of their way to avoid these problems after the throttle nightmare from a few years ago.

Are you going to use the TGMO?

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
I had the dealer change the oil at 5K miles and it was done again at 10K as called for in the service manual. Eventually I will move to the recommended OCI of 10K miles (probably beginning now). Would you trust the Toyota OEM cartridge oil filter to go 10K miles?

Yes, without a doubt.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy

So Toyota's service manual says to change oil at 5K, 10K, 20K, 30K ... ect? I'm assuming this is under "normal" driving conditions. If they are actually recommending 10K oil changes, are they now specifying a full synthetic oil?

the OEM filter, designed with about a 60% IIRC efficiency rate at 20 mics, only gets better --efficiency wise---as the miles ad up. In other words, it is designed to be less efficient from the start, so it can run the longer intervals
Steve

Originally Posted By: steve20
the OEM filter, designed with about a 60% IIRC efficiency rate at 20 mics, only gets better --efficiency wise---as the miles ad up. In other words, it is designed to be less efficient from the start, so it can run the longer intervals
Steve

According to Purolator, a filter (at least theirs) is most efficiency when it's new.

See Here

Thanks for the replies. I suspected that was the case but there are replies in this thread from people whose opinion that I trust totally. I'll rest easier.

Toyota Camrys across the nation are running 10,000 mile OCI's without a problem using the OEM cartridge style filters and TGMO.

If the OM recommends a certain interval, the OEM filter will have to be rated for that.

Just out of curiosity does your Camry require TGMO?

Last edited:
Is Toyota running full synthetic motor oil now if they are recommending 10K OCIs?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Is Toyota running full synthetic motor oil now if they are recommending 10K OCIs?

Yes 5K on dino oil, 10K on full 0W20 synthetic oil. Toyota does not use synthetic blend oil.

If I had an 2014 anything I would change no more than 5k with the best oil and oe filter until I sell it. Is it that much more money over the time period? I drive in traffic and do short trips at times, both putting me in the severe category.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
If I had an 2014 anything I would change no more than 5k with the best oil and oe filter until I sell it. Is it that much more money over the time period? I drive in traffic and do short trips at times, both putting me in the severe category.

I don't disagree with you at all.

Oil and filters are too cheap and I always enjoy my time spent working on the cars I own.

Speaking of Toyota cartridge filters, why are they so darn expensive compared to some high quality canister filters. I picked up some oil for my son and DIL, both have Toyotas with cartridge filters. Thought I would pick up a few filters to have on hand for some OCIs. Since I've never owned a vehicle that needs a cartridge type filter, I had never checked the pricing. Wow was I shocked at the price of the Fram equivalent PH10358 in any brand. This thing is tiny and there's really not much to it. Given the number of Toyotas, at minimum, that take this filter, you'd think economies of scale would produce a better priced filter. What am I missing here?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: goodtimes

The UOAs performed on my wife's previous 07 Camry (which now belongs to our daughter) would suggest otherwise. While I agree the incremental money is not huge, there is the value of your time and also the impact on the environment. Given that the oil analysis suggested that the oil can easily go 10K, why in the world would you change more often?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back