Oil filter recommendations for Jaguar, Porsche

Status
Not open for further replies.
First the Porsche. I have a 2000 Boxster with a 2.7L I6. I run either PP 5-40 or M1 0-40 and hang around 10,000 mile OCI (I am not brave enough to follow the Porsche 15,000-20,000 OCI). Right now I am running the Mahle branded factory filter, no idea who actually makes it. It has a large sump and requires 9 quarts for an oil change with filter. It takes a cartridge filter. I would like to stop ordering my filters and buy them locally, but am (unsurprisingly) faced with few options. I would like a good filter to match up with the OCI, and looked into purolator, M1, K&N, and Wix. M1 does not make a Porsche filter, Purolator does but not a Pureone, only the premium plus. Wix makes one that is just a base filter from what I can tell, and K&N does as well. Would I be best going with the K&N since it is the only high filtration/flow filter made for my car? Does it really matter since the sump is so large and since the filters are cartridge and not spin off?

Now onto the Jaguar, my father has a 2003 Jaguar XK8. His filters are hard to come by as well, with only K&N, Purolator (but not Pureone models), and possibly Wix making filters to fit his car. Jaguars take spin off filters and take 8 quarts of oil with a full oil and filter change. He either runs PP or M1 and would like to hang around a 10,000 mile OCI. He is currently running the purolator premium plus and would like to use it for an extended OCI, but the ADBV construction gives me worries as I believe it is made of nitrile. Suggestions anyone?

banana.gif

"Just about ANY oil filter should easily make the 10k OCI."

I've run across non-silicone anti-drainback valves that were getting a little stiff not even halfway to that interval. The only way you are going to know how a filter will hold up to your particular application is to cut it open.

A good oil filter you have left out is the AMSOIL EaO line. Edit: That may be intentional since they don't make one for either of your applications.

Are the Mahle filters not very good, expensive, S&H outrageous or what for you not to want to use them? Can you not buy them locally at the dealership or is that not a desirable option for you either?

turbojim: the abdv material is my main concern for exactly the reason you described. I am not as much worried about the filtering media going the distance as I am the adbv. Of course, this isn't a concern for the Porsche since it is a cartridge filter.

Ben: That is correct about the Amsoil. The Mahle filters are fine to my knowledge. I just assumed that I could get a local brand of equal or better construction for cheaper, and not have to worry about ordering them. I don't even know how much they would be at a dealership, but getting them from a discount mail order place they are $13 dollars a pop plus s&h. For that much money I could get an outstanding filter from a known quantity. I don't have the skill nor the knowledge to dissect a Mahle and see how good it truly is. Also, part of it comes from me wanting to go against the grain a little bit. Many Porsche guys, Ferrari guys, etc. unquestiongly take the manufacturer's word as the word of ----. For instance, a fair portion of the community feels that it is blasphemy to run anything but M1 since that is what Porsche recommends. In this way, these car manufacturers charge a steep price for what is sometimes a run of the mill product. So, as a rambling answer to your query, it is a combination of many of the factors you listed as well as me wanting to circumvent the system a little bit and go with a filter brand that has earned its stripes on this board.

erogers: Thank you for the recommendation. I have heard nothing but good things about Wix for this application.

So is the consensus on the Porsche at least that since it is a cartridge filter and sump size is so large that any purolator or wix would probably be fine for a 10k OCI?

I've used Wix oil filters on my wife's Mercedes and my GTI. I have nothing but praise for Wix. I think Wix would be just the ticket for both your Porsche and your Dad's Jaguar. The Wix filters are very reasonable in price, too, which makes the decision that much easier for me.

That said, if I could get Mahle, Mann, or Knecht filters at the same price, I might choose them over the Wix.........maybe.
wink.gif

For your Porsche, you are correct, Mobil 1 does not make a filter for it. In fact, Mobil 1 doesn't make any cartridge style filters at this time. After researching, I found that K&N also doesn't make a filter for you Porsche. A good choice for a filter though would be a STP S8278.

For the Jag, as far as I'm aware, there aren't many extended filters for it available. And Turbo Jim is correct about non-silicone adbv lasting only about 5,000 mi. It might be tough for you to find a filter that will go 10,000 mi for that Jag. For a good quality conventional filter, you could try an STP S5618.

Wavin and Champ, thanks. So for the Porsche it seems that any quality cartridge filter will do, and the Jag is pretty much out of luck with re: an extended oci filter. Does anyone know the composition material of the ADBV in K&N filters? On their site, it only indicates that their filters include one, but not what it is made of.

Am i not allowed to have favorite brands of filters? you must not have checked all my threads then. I have also provivded info on some wix, baldwin, luber-finer, mobil 1, and super tech

Just for the record, Wix filters for Jaguars are typically white (not black, like most domestic Wix filters), and they have silicone ADBVs (orange shows through the holes). I've run other filters in my Jag, but these are long lasting, and very economical (I typically pay around $7.50 per filter, as opposed to $12-$14 for the specialty filters).

Erogers: thank you, that was very helpful and exactly the information that I needed.

Everyone else: play nice!

The ford motorcraft filters can also be had for a good price. Visit the local ford dealer or ebay and grab an FL2021 or the longer FL2008.

To me, ADBV function is more important then how it feels. I haven't had any startup noise with cheap filters run to 7.5k-10k miles. A good synth oil will also flow well. And, the Jag runs a pretty decent sump-engine size ratio so the oil isn't overly stressed and temps probably aren't too high.

Quote:

Quote:

I have also provivded info on some wix...

crackmeup.gif
liar.gif
If you call implying that a majority of Wix oil filters are made in China " providing info "
nono.gif

I have provided info on Wix filters, check oversized filters for toyota camry (thread page 2). What Now?
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back