How does my RDX determine % Oil Life Remaining?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 'MID' (display) of my Acura RDX continuously shows me the % Oil Life Remaining and starts issuing a "Service Due Soon" alert when it gets down to less than 15%.

I'm wondering how it determines the % Oil Life Remaining. The manual doesn't actually reveal how that's done. Can anyone here explain it?

There is a lot of information about it in the archives. It uses ambient temperatures, engine coolant temperatures, (extrapolated) oil temperatures, number of cold starts, engine load, fuel use, etc. All of those variables plug into an algorithm that determines the useful life of the oil.

GM, BMW, and Mercedes (and probably others) have been using Oil Life Monitors (OLMs) for decades, and with great success. Honda has been using them for a while, too, for the last 10 years or so I think. Other auto makers are behind the ball.

The maintenance minder in your RDX uses an algorithm that monitors for variables like average speed, hours of use, average trip length as well as other variables they've determined relevant in anticipating the life of the oil and the amount of fuel and water dilution.

In short it's not simply monitoring the number of miles driven between changes.

OLM's appear to be very accurate for the most part.

I would like to see a UOA from the RDX to get a comparison between both.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm always amazed at what is being accomplished through computerization.

Hopefully, this monitoring system is indeed accurate. Based on my driving habits the system has been 'advising me' to schedule an oil change just about every 5000 miles. Considering that the RDX has been on Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum, this would seem to be excessive (but perhaps not since the engine is turbo-charged)!

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
There is a lot of information about it in the archives. It uses ambient temperatures, engine coolant temperatures, (extrapolated) oil temperatures, number of cold starts, engine load, fuel use, etc. All of those variables plug into an algorithm that determines the useful life of the oil.

GM, BMW, and Mercedes (and probably others) have been using Oil Life Monitors (OLMs) for decades, and with great success. Honda has been using them for a while, too, for the last 10 years or so I think. Other auto makers are behind the ball.

So true. Instead of the @$%^& tire pressure monitor things that screw up all the time I wished all engines had a GM type OLM system.

Very high temps. This is Honda's only turbo engine and I believe it's pretty tough on oil. Remember, all the other oils failed Honda's testing. I would use only an oil that clearly state it meets HTO-06. Seriously, look into a fumoto drain valve and Amsoil/M1 long life oil filter. It will make changing the oil significantly easier and you'll only spend $23 per change.

Originally Posted By: RDXman
Thanks for the feedback. I'm always amazed at what is being accomplished through computerization.

Hopefully, this monitoring system is indeed accurate. Based on my driving habits the system has been 'advising me' to schedule an oil change just about every 5000 miles. Considering that the RDX has been on Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum, this would seem to be excessive (but perhaps not since the engine is turbo-charged)!
Not at all. 5k in a turbo is quite long.

TRUST the OLM and you'll be just fine.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: buster
Very high temps. This is Honda's only turbo engine and I believe it's pretty tough on oil. Remember, all the other oils failed Honda's testing. I would use only an oil that clearly state it meets HTO-06. Seriously, look into a fumoto drain valve and Amsoil/M1 long life oil filter. It will make changing the oil significantly easier and you'll only spend $23 per change.

Because of my weak-back I'm unable to DIY. Even if I were able to do so, there's the issue of getting the oil into a container without messing up the driveway (and then again I'm not sure how the fumoto valve affects Acura's warranty). So at this point in my life, I'll pay for the service (just not the dealer's gouge)!

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
Trust Honda's engineers... They know what they're doing.

I do trust their engineers - just not their dealers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back