How do you get to the airport with a lot of luggages for a long trip by air

Park a car in long term parking for a month? Probably still cheaper than 2 Ubers both ways.
If the OP is flying out of SFO (is he?), then long term parking there is about $25/day - maybe a little less if you book in advance. Still, for a month, cost will add up.

If he can fit in one Uber XL (some luggage can go into the cabin), then that might be cheaper.

Take mass transit to the airport by yourself. Rent a van from a rental agency there. Drive van home and load up your family and stuff. Return to the airport turn the van in and get on your flight.

If the OP is flying out of SFO (is he?), then long term parking there is about $25/day - maybe a little less if you book in advance. Still, for a month, cost will add up.

If he can fit in one Uber XL (some luggage can go into the cabin), then that might be cheaper.
Yes out of SFO, parking is about $15/day if I book on spothero (would likely be from an airport hotel or 3rd party airport parking). Uber XL to airport is about $70 each way, problem is, based on past experience it would fit 4 passengers and 4 suitcases, not 8, so would likely need 2 XL and cost about 70 x 4.

Caltrain tickets let's say is about 10 each way, frequent enough, everyone can get on with one trip, takes about 1.5 hr each way, but the problem would be during commute hours and will likely be a bit crowded from around San Jose to Milbrae. This is likely the fastest mass transit option for us.

Dropping off luggage to check in early with one of the family member would be one option if I can convince my wife to let me drop her and the kids off there 4 hours ahead (instead of 3 for international) to wait in line to check in, then wait for me to go there somehow to bring 2 carry on.

Maybe start making friends with neighbor is the best option...

Last edited:
Friends/family drop us off. I've actually got a limo once too for a large party (eight) because it was cheaper than an airport shuttle. Minimum charge was two hours for the limo. I live about 30-35 mins from YVR.

So it looks like check in 24 hours ahead is an option (for United). Maybe if I went the night before with my family to take turn check in (wait in the cell phone lot while the others are checking in the bags) then go home, and just take the train the next day. This way would take more time but it would be easier when we are heading out.

Last edited:
So it looks like check in 24 hours ahead is an option (for United). Maybe if I went the night before with my family to take turn check in (wait in the cell phone lot while the others are checking in the bags) then go home, and just take the train the next day. This way would take more time but it would be easier when we are heading out.

Usually you can't drop off bags until approx three hours before the flight

Interesting that there's a company dedicated to doing this. Back in the 70s and 80s, when I was flying frequently, I'd sometimes send my luggage ahead by UPS, FedEx, etc., and it would be waiting for me at my destination. I'd only travel with a small carry-on bag and a camera or two.

Using this organization may be a useful option.

And what do you do with the car afterward?
Depending on the circumstances, I'd use the secure, long-term, indoor parking, stay the night before at a hotel that would allow free long-term parking and which would also provide a shuttle to the terminal, or use a variation of Jeff's suggestion.

Yes out of SFO, parking is about $15/day if I book on spothero (would likely be from an airport hotel or 3rd party airport parking). Uber XL to airport is about $70 each way, problem is, based on past experience it would fit 4 passengers and 4 suitcases, not 8, so would likely need 2 XL and cost about 70 x 4.
In your original post, you mentioned 4 people and luggage, now there's 8 people.
Caltrain tickets let's say is about 10 each way, frequent enough, everyone can get on with one trip, takes about 1.5 hr each way, but the problem would be during commute hours and will likely be a bit crowded from around San Jose to Milbrae. This is likely the fastest mass transit option for us.
You'd have the satisfaction of seeing everyone hauling their own luggage much of the time. 😁
Dropping off luggage to check in early with one of the family member would be one option if I can convince my wife to let me drop her and the kids off there 4 hours ahead (instead of 3 for international) to wait in line to check in, then wait for me to go there somehow to bring 2 carry on.
You should hire staff.
Maybe start making friends with neighbor is the best option...
They'll drop you off but no way will they ever pick you up! :ROFLMAO:

Just pay the piper or suffer in other ways.

In your original post, you mentioned 4 people and luggage, now there's 8 people.

You'd have the satisfaction of seeing everyone hauling their own luggage much of the time. 😁

You should hire staff.

They'll drop you off but no way will they ever pick you up! :ROFLMAO:

Just pay the piper or suffer in other ways.
Yeah I have 4 people and each have 2 luggage, so that's 8 luggage no?

A Uber XL with a yukon can easily fit 4 passengers and 8 suitcases with the third row seat laid flat or one side of the third row flat. Here's a website that shows it with the third row up: https://www.autoblog.com/2020/12/18/chevrolet-tahoe-luggage-test/. You can probably also call a limo/livery company that has a Yukon XL or Expedition and request it. It'll be the easiest way without having to go through public transpo.

Back