How and when do you pay your property taxes?

No. 1 - Pay in person at the tax office - quarterly . Doing that for 25 years now. There is a 10 day grace period where it is considered on time (no interest) even though it is technically late. We have used that if we are away.

1 or 2, twice a year. Get them the money 7-10 days ahead of deadline and the check still posts after the cutoff. Never charged interest though.

Pay in person 2x per year. 1-1/2 percent back if you pay a month early.

Our Town Hall is two miles away in the middle of a small colonial town operating like it's 1955.

Not a problem to do this twice a year. it's a $3000+ check. I want a red ink stamped PAID receipt that goes in the fire-proof lock box.

I do pay my annual Automobile Excise (they call it 'mIllage')_ and Reg Renewal online by option 7

Mail a check once a year. Have the option to pay 50% in fall and 50% in spring, but why bother. I'd pay by CC for the rewards but they charge 2.25%.

Mail a check 2x/year, 7-10 days before due date.
No advantage paying by CC.
Their 2.25% offsets any rewards that I could accrue.

#4 and #5, once a year (some are due semi-annually, some quarterly). I do once so I won't forget. I would do #6 for the cash back, but that option isn't available.
The fee for a bank check for #5 is minimal.

I pay online a few days before its due, I dont recall there being any fee for paying thru my checking account online. The good news is it looks like it will be 1/2 as much this next year for some reason, must be whatever property tax bill they passed.

As early as possible and I pay through county tax collector website with small fee.

Pay by check.....which incidentally I did yesterday. Would love to pay with CC but they charge more than the 2% I would get back.

#3. bill shows up in November, technically isn't due until May. save about 10 bucks a month for each month early.

Mail a check. We don’t get a discount for paying early and no free credit card option, otherwise I’d do that.

Just checked #4 and #6 are not available, #7 is 2.45% to 3.29% depending on who I'm paying, #4 is either not available or a small fee
I'd opt for #4 or #1, but have escrow for now. Fee would have to be pretty nominal versus gas to drive, but I am close to all the actual locations to pay.

Water and sewer go through the site that costs 3.29% but I charge those for the rewards...can only do that when the bill is <$500 though, which doesn't work for any of the tax bills.

My home gets paid via escrow.
My closer property I usually drop off at borough hall in person.
My further away property I’ll drop off in person or in the drop box at the municipal building if I’m passing by, otherwise I just mail a check. Easy.

Back