What do you buy with cash?

Small town 21k to 41k when college is in. Change stores cc small restaurants, part houses and liquor stores add 3%for using a cc use cash. Bought a tractor 8k asking for 74 hundred dollar bills.

I’m in the credit for everything possible camp. Fee for paying the taxes with a credit card isn’t offset by the points, nor have I found an effective way to pay the mortgage and earn enough points to offset, so there is that for cash/direct debit from account/check.

Everyone uses credit cards like an army of mall shopping zombies but what do you buy with your old greenabcks?

Here's my list...

1) Dental appointments (cash discounts)
2) Home appliances from estate sales, auctions, and yard sales
3) Furniture, board games, dolls, clothes and pretty much all home furnishings via estate and yard sales.
4) Older electronics (higher quality from the same sources)
5) Help with home repairs and renovations along with moving heavy items
6) Buying plants and other collector's clubs and activities
7) Tutoring
8) Auto repairs

Anything else comes to mind?

Whatever I want. Fuel, food, money orders, gift cards.

I try to use it when I can. Especially since I frequently go to pawn shops, yard sales, estate sales etc. Also when traveling because two of my banks are notorious for locking your card if you use it in a different area and it won’t work.

I don’t think it’s quite that simple anymore.
Credit card is the cost of doing business much like having an employee at a cash register is the cost of doing business.

Look at all the money that is saved by self check outs.
Employees not having to handle a vast amount of cash, which always includes a loss factor. Never mind much less chances of armed robberies.

Credit card to reduce the amount of employees stores need and even imagine your gas station if people can’t slide their card at the gas pump they would need additional employees inside to handle the amount of cash transactions.

Let’s not forget big ticket purchases. Best Buy is not going to want people to walk in with thousands of dollars of cash to pay for major appliances nor are they going to want a personal check. Credit card transactions secure the funding for the company immediately and with very little risk compared to cash and checks. It’s pretty much guaranteed funding.

Now let’s talk about increase sales, Cash Only paying customer is going to limit what they purchase to how much cash they carry with them where credit card transactions there is no limit of what they could purchase while they’re in the store which equals more profit and more sales.

Agree, restaurants could be the exception but even then a cash paying restaurant customer may limit the amount of drinks they have or the size of the meal, and also the size of the tip. A credit card customer is pretty much unlimited.

And last, but not least it all comes down to consumer choice and we all know plastic rules🙃
So because I use cash for smaller items - Best Buy won’t take my credit card ? And I do self check often and get $40 cash back from my purchase because I prefer 20’s - And lose a wallet ? Cash on clip - front pocket - Not a big deal - Been hacked 3 times on CC’s - ain’t perfect either … So sometimes I don’t like my CC to leave my sight or my hands - pay cash …

Last edited:
So because I use cash for smaller items - Best Buy won’t take my credit card ? And I do self check often and get $40 cash back from my purchase because I prefer 20’s - And lose a wallet ?
Cash on clip - front pocket - Not a big deal - Been hacked 3 times on CC’s - ain’t perfect either … So sometimes I don’t like my CC to leave my sight or my hands - pay cash …

Great point sir 👍🍻🇺🇸

Meat Jun plate lunch with mac salad, bean sprouts, kimchee, cucumber & 2 scoops of rice.
A lot of mom & pop lunch places are cash only and it's nice when a solid $10 can get you a filling plate lunch.

Went for more than a year during Covid with the same $20 in my money clip. Other than going to a weekly Optimist Club meeting, I use cash for almost nothing and sometimes lose any money I do carry. Haven't carried any balances over on a credit card for thirty years. Smallest charge is 84 cents for an occasional soda at Circle K.

Barber
Daughter’s allowance
Collectibles shows

I also carry a couple hundred in cash, generally, for emergencies. I was on business travel on BC Ferries last year and the payment terminals were down for the whole trip to Vancouver. Normally the cafeteria is jam packed with long lineups but very few people had cash so they didn’t get dinner until they got to their destination.

Great point sir 👍🍻🇺🇸
Just minutes after buying a soft drink at the closest 7-11 - the card holder (security) calls me and asked if I spent $187 there …
(that would be hard to do there) …
Talked to bank and got the card unlocked …
Talked to store manager - he admitted I was not the first …
Talked to bank again - there were others and they blocked this store … Manager never had an answer - I do see employee turnover at this store -
I pay cash there now …

Last edited:
So because I use cash for smaller items - Best Buy won’t take my credit card ? And I do self check often and get $40 cash back from my purchase because I prefer 20’s - And lose a wallet ? Cash on clip - front pocket - Not a big deal - Been hacked 3 times on CC’s - ain’t perfect either … So sometimes I don’t like my CC to leave my sight or my hands - pay cash …
Choice is good!
Whatever makes us happy🙃
I forgot to mention not only do I use a credit card for everything but most times I don’t even take the card out of my wallet and pay with my Apple Watch digital wallet or iPhone

I use to pay cash for everything but I just love electronics and most always self check out. But the biggest thing for me is cash back cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4WD
Only in stores that give discounts for cash payments, e.g. Spec's here in TX (liquor store). Technically the CC contracts prohibit them from charging more for card purchases so they get around it by offering a "discount" for cash payments. All my other purchases go on credit cards where I get anywhere from 2-5% cashback. Between my Discover, Chase Freedom and Citi Dividend, most purchases qualify for the 5% quarterly rotating cashback. Why would anyone pay cash and miss out on perks like this?

I pay our house cleaners and barber cash.

My 18 year old daughter uses cash for everything and people find it suspicious when she pulls 50s and 100s out of wallet. Her tips are paid cash (approx $8-$10/hr) and not reported.

Back