What do you buy with cash?

What do you buy with cash?​

Almost nothing. I'm so ashamed of myself. But any credit card transactions are paid in full every month. Each and every month.

But maybe I can get into some group counseling sessions about my CC compulsions? 🫨
As long as it's a points/reward card, rock it.

Friend of mine uses his AMEX and JetBlue CC for EVERYTHING. He pays his mortgage on the AMEX and sends them money in full each month. Points rack up very quickly for gift cards etc.

As little as possible. My debit card has replaced pretty much any cash transaction. No stupid change to deal with.

Donuts at the donut shop, and that is it.

I see no other reasons to forgo my cash back.
Yep, me too, as if you don't, you are just paying for someone else's cash back. Although I would have no problem with a cash price and and credit card price. Just to make it clear, that no one is really benefitting from cash back except the credit card companies...

Very little...mostly the weekly (ok, bi-weekly) lottery ticket.

All of my cards have some sort of cash-back/bonus connected with them so it makes more sense for me to use them. And I don't have to deal with the kid behind the register who can't make change...

Very little, probably anything < than $5, and cash only purchases.
I figure that I may as well take advantage of any CC rewards, and have charge back protection as well.

Just to make it clear, that no one is really benefitting from cash back except the credit card companies...

If I lose my wallet, I am out all the cash in it. If I lose my credit card, I simply call the bank and cancel it - I'm not responsible for any charges I didn't make. Also, if you pay with cash your ability to dispute poor quality goods or services is limited to pleading with the vendor or small claims court, with a cc I can initiate a chargeback.

Add to that the cash back, airline miles and points earned by a cc and you're just leaving cash on the table. Not to mention, carrying cash and change is inconvenient and dirty.

If I lose my wallet, I am out all the cash in it. If I lose my credit card, I simply call the bank and cancel it - I'm not responsible for any charges I didn't make. Also, if you pay with cash your ability to dispute poor quality goods or services is limited to pleading with the vendor or small claims court, with a cc I can initiate a chargeback.

Add to that the cash back, airline miles and points earned by a cc and you're just leaving cash on the table. Not to mention, carrying cash and change is inconvenient and dirty.
I'm not arguing the magic money card isn't convenient and has its advantages, but its skimming almost 3% off the top of retail sales. ~200 billion, off of 7000 billion total US retail sales(some presumably in cash).
More guys in suits in offices not really creating any value, making rich guys richer?
We use CC's because its kind of silly not too, but overall I think its just a bit of a tax on poor people who can't qualify for the high paying cards, and pay cash for more things.

I'm not arguing the magic money card isn't convenient and has its advantages, but its skimming almost 3% off the top of retail sales. ~200 billion, off of 7000 billion total US retail sales(some presumably in cash).
More guys in suits in offices not really creating any value, making rich guys richer?
We use CC's because its kind of silly not too, but overall I think its just a bit of a tax on poor people who can't qualify for the high paying cards, and pay cash for more things.
I 100% agree.

So why not more cash discounts?

I’ve seen several restaurants that don’t accept cash anymore. I usually turn around and walk out even though I was going to pay with a card anyway. So much for good for all debts, public and private.

I 100% agree.

So why not more cash discounts?

I’ve seen several restaurants that don’t accept cash anymore. I usually turn around and walk out even though I was going to pay with a card anyway. So much for good for all debts, public and private.
Guess they would rather be robbed by Visa & MC rather than employees or some random guy on the street. Can't blame them really, give how crazy things are.

Guess they would rather be robbed by Visa & MC rather than employees or some random guy on the street. Can't blame them really, give how crazy things are.

Exactly, it's cheap insurance for everyone, I don't see why some people get bent out of shape over it. It's just a cost of doing business just like the electric bill.

I don’t think it’s quite that simple anymore.
Credit card is the cost of doing business much like having an employee at a cash register is the cost of doing business.

Look at all the money that is saved by self check outs.
Employees not having to handle a vast amount of cash, which always includes a loss factor. Never mind much less chances of armed robberies.

Credit card to reduce the amount of employees stores need and even imagine your gas station if people can’t slide their card at the gas pump they would need additional employees inside to handle the amount of cash transactions.

Let’s not forget big ticket purchases. Best Buy is not going to want people to walk in with thousands of dollars of cash to pay for major appliances nor are they going to want a personal check. Credit card transactions secure the funding for the company immediately and with very little risk compared to cash and checks. It’s pretty much guaranteed funding.

Now let’s talk about increase sales, Cash Only paying customer is going to limit what they purchase to how much cash they carry with them where credit card transactions there is no limit of what they could purchase while they’re in the store which equals more profit and more sales.

Agree, restaurants could be the exception but even then a cash paying restaurant customer may limit the amount of drinks they have or the size of the meal, and also the size of the tip. A credit card customer is pretty much unlimited.

And last, but not least it all comes down to consumer choice and we all know plastic rules🙃

I don’t think it’s quite that simple anymore.
Credit card is the cost of doing business much like having an employee at a cash register is the cost of doing business.

Look at all the money that is saved by self check outs.
Employees not having to handle a vast amount of cash, which always includes a loss factor. Never mind much less chances of armed robberies.

Credit card to reduce the amount of employees stores need and even imagine your gas station if people can’t slide their card at the gas pump they would need additional employees inside to handle the amount of cash transactions.

Let’s not forget big ticket purchases. Best Buy is not going to want people to walk in with thousands of dollars of cash to pay for major appliances nor are they going to want a personal check. Credit card transactions secure the funding for the company immediately and with very little risk compared to cash and checks. It’s pretty much guaranteed funding.

Now let’s talk about increase sales, Cash Only paying customer is going to limit what they purchase to how much cash they carry with them where credit card transactions there is no limit of what they could purchase while they’re in the store which equals more profit and more sales.

Agree, restaurants could be the exception but even then a cash paying restaurant customer may limit the amount of drinks they have or the size of the meal, and also the size of the tip. A credit card customer is pretty much unlimited.

And last, but not least it all comes down to consumer choice and we all know plastic rules🙃
I'm not against using credit cards, but having a cash or interac price without the 2-3% vendor fee that credit card companies charge would also be welcome. It's basically taxing the poor to give me a discount...

Back