Hot rod 90 deg gm v6, Chevy or Buick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were going to build a carbureted, mildly cammed 90 degree gm v6, would you choose a Chevrolet 4.3 or a Buick 3.8/4.1? The engine would probably be backed by a th350 or a Borg Warner t5, and would see street use as well as auto x, maybe even drag strip.

Lol, yes I know there's a lot of variables, but I've got this crazy idea. I recently purchased a dirt cheap 2006 Suzuki grand vitara currently equipped with a 2.7 v6 and and 5 speed, 2wd. I'm very seriously considering yanking all that out and swapping in a GM 90 ohv v6. I'd like to build a street/track car out of it, and I'm thinking old school carb/cam/distributor setup. I could probably more easily get my hands on a Chevy engine, but it seems the Buick may have more potential long term.

Speaking of long term, that's what this project will be, so if I go with team Buick, I'm not opposed to waiting while searching around for parts. I'm not looking to do anything radical, and would probably keep the bottom end stock. So, to those of you with hot rodding experience, what say you?

Btw, if I do this, it will get a v6, v8 is not an option.

Any reason you are stuck on one of those old slugs? Lots of newer, more powerful, and lighter weight options out there...

If you are hung up on those classic style engines, there's the Mopar 3.9 and 4.2 Ford as well.

That said, I don't think it really matters, for what you are doing. Flip a coin, or see which engine falls into your lap first, and pick that one.

Is your area emission exempt? Just asking as i used to be an emissions Inspector and for the most part counties with emissions inspections don't allow engines that are older than the model year of vehicle. If not it looks like a cool project.

Since GM had ties to Suzuki back in the day I'd go with a chevy block. Wouldn't think a buick would be different as far as software but how do you plan on making everything run correctly?

Originally Posted by 97prizm
Since GM had ties to Suzuki back in the day I'd go with a chevy block. Wouldn't think a buick would be different as far as software but how do you plan on making everything run correctly?

He says in the original post he wants to go carburetor. Ignition can be standalone simply enough. Factory equipment probably isn't going to matter much.

The crankshaft is the weak link in the 4.3L even fire Chev V6. You can check GM performance parts for 4.3L options. Buick V6s have been installed in Toyota trucks, replacing the 20 & 22Rs.
A turbo'd Buick V6 would be cool.

Last edited:
I'd start with a DeLorean's V6 PRV engine (also shared with Volvo's 260/760 lineup).
Best engine for travelling thru time!
cool.gif

I don't want to rain on your parade, but the won't the tall nature (width/height ratio) not allow that to run in an Auto-X race?

Kinda a dumb idea if you ask me. And expensive. It'd be a joke if you go through all that and get spanked by a stock late model V6 Camry, which you probably would.

Originally Posted by Red91
If you were going to build a carbureted, mildly cammed 90 degree gm v6, would you choose a Chevrolet 4.3 or a Buick 3.8/4.1?
Btw, if I do this, it will get a v6, v8 is not an option.

I was going to say if there room for an I 4 there is room for an eight.

IIRC the chevy 262 which is a gen 1 SBC 350 minus 2 holes.It should have better breathing head options. But i havent looked at a Buick six-er

Tons of parts many V8 parts swap except the rods
This engine is also used as an inboard-outboard Mercruiser boat motor.

I would try to get any earlier block without the balance shaft - so that would be pre-mid 90's.

Great torque maker should be an easy 250+ hp with a decent cam, good heads, 11:1 comp and a little 4 bbl or big 2bbl carb.
Hard to beat the classic factory SBC hydraulic cam profile to make 1 hp/cu-in. IIrc it was 222/222 .447lift 114 lobe center

And I'm a Buick guy currently rebuilding a 340 for a '67 GS 340
smile.gif

- Ken

Last edited:
I'll answer yalls questions best I can.

Currently Alabama doesn't have emissions testing, and the vehicle is going to be tagged and insured in its current stock form. I plan on driving it awhile as is.

I'd be looking to make changes to the suspension and steering to improve handling, if auto x is where it ends up. As mentioned, this thing could be a drag car instead.

The plan involves basically stripping the car out and starting from scratch. So I won't be using the PCM and would only try to retain the original wiring for the lights and turn signals.

Skyactiv: I'm really not concerned with being beat by a new Camry. Fun first. I can work on a pushrod carbed v6. I care not to get involved with the complexity of newer ohc engines and computers. I just want to have fun screwing around with an oddball car, and maybe do some amateur motorsport in the process.

I'm not certain the v6 project will end up going in to the Suzuki. I can make a little money on it as it is now. A v6 project period is really the point. A car to do amateur racing in is the goal. The vitara could just be a gateway. But hey, its what I got right now and regardless of vehicle, a gm 90 v6 is the desired engine.

I was actually thinking of using an edelbrock top end kit for either engine, which includes cam and lifters, four barrel carb and intake. Not certain of the numbers on the cam, but I can look them up.

Would you say the Buick crank is stronger? I'd be looking for an even fire Buick, but I'd still rather not met with the bottom end too much aside from maybe refreshing it. So if the Buick stock crank is stronger, that'd be a good vouch for going with a Buick v6.

I'm just really not interested in the ls. I recognize its almost unlimited potential but it just bores me. Lol, old school SBC's never did anything for me either, but its little 6 pot brother has always intrigued me, as does the buick.

I'd say which ever one you come across first. Either one will do what you want it to do. I have built/rodded both with good success. However, overall, the Buick is better known for it's ruggedness.

here is what I can tell you about the 4.3
get a non balanced block, 91 down 96+ heads
Comp cams makes a few cams for this block
Edelbrock 2114 intake
now depending on cam and carb you could see as much as 300hp at the crank, NA
have seen it done w/TBI. I don't think it too far a stretch to do w/carb

Buick 3.8. Smoother and more rugged than the 4.3 Chevy. You've got to remember that the Turbocharged Buick Grand National and GNX were 3.8's. And there was even an Indy Car version of the 3.8 that set a track record of 236.103 mph. Plus there are millions of them out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back