Hot rod 90 deg gm v6, Chevy or Buick?

I can very possibly get my hands on a tbi 4.3 Chevy, maybe even two. I can quite easily swap over to a carbureted intake, carburetor and hei distributor. Since I'm not planning on keeping the Suzuki, I've actually been considering building a testing stand to run one of these engines on, and just playing around with the engines alone. I'd like to clean one up and dress it up like an old school hot rod engine, with an aluminum intake manifold, chrome(possibly) valve covers, and some headers. It could be a neat little project.

Originally Posted by Red91
I can very possibly get my hands on a tbi 4.3 Chevy, maybe even two. I can quite easily swap over to a carbureted intake, carburetor and hei distributor. Since I'm not planning on keeping the Suzuki, I've actually been considering building a testing stand to run one of these engines on, and just playing around with the engines alone. I'd like to clean one up and dress it up like an old school hot rod engine, with an aluminum intake manifold, chrome(possibly) valve covers, and some headers. It could be a neat little project.

If you can get two, don't hold back. Make yourself a V12!

A 524 cu in, 8.6 liter iron block vortec v12, complete with mpfi and dis could have been the mother of all light/ medium duty truck engines. Yes, I know that's opposite of my desired v6, but just imagine if gm had done it.

And there was also the GMC 702 v12 truck engine. I think the 524 gas engine would be more in line with that one. Could have been a neat engine.

And there was also the GMC 702 v12 truck engine. I think the 524 gas engine would be more in line with that one. Could have been a neat engine.

I own two of the GMC 702's....

Awesome! Are they installed in a truck or something?

A guy my dad trades cars with once had some sort of contraption that had one of those 702's in it. The vehicle was along the lines of a rat rod, but the engine was neat. All those old GMC truck engines are cool.

I bought one, but found it was locked up due to rust. So I bought another one, thinking I would have enough parts between the two to make one good one. The second one was a really good deal; $350. I don't know what I'm going to do with them, but I just love V12's.

Am I wrong to think its odd that the v12 didn't catch on as a light/medium duty truck engine? I mean, if there's room for a straight six, and room for a v8, there's room for a v12. I think an ls based v12 would make a great duramax alternative.

It never really fit in with the American automobile manufacturers ideal of simple engines that were cheap to manufacture. If they could do the job with a big V8, why make a V12? But in the present time, now that GM is at a disadvantage to Ford because of the new 7.3 gas V8, maybe they're thinking of doing something about it. But Ford has at least a 3-year head start. If GM doubled the 4.3 V6, they could make 570 HP, or detune it 500 for durability and fuel economy, and still have a big power advantage.

Yeah I can see your point about the big v8s. I definitely like simpler, easier to work on engines. All this talk, I really doubt I'D want to work on a v12 Haha. Btw the new Ford engine does intrigue me. I hope it ends up having the potential the ls has. It would be a neat swap idea for something like an old Lincoln town car, or repower option for an old Ford truck. They need to sell a plug n play setup through Ford motorsports.

Red91

If you want to get crazy and do something really wild

Buy a used NASCAR V6 motor
Still some around
Chevy and Ford
Then you'd have a really unique motor to talk about !

Originally Posted by CT8
Look at the cost for the hot rod parts.

No hot rod parts to buy
They'll come complete ready to run
And with more HP and cheaper than anyone could build

Block and heads photo

6B4D91FD-998E-4B7B-9D9F-C48CBF06F8E6.jpeg

1BC558C8-AF16-4506-83B5-472867983B4F.jpeg

Red91

Check out the used market for hi-po parts
Lots of options !!!

Good luck !
ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Yeah I've looked at the Buick, Chevy and Ford v6 racing engines. Quite impressive with a unique sound. Kind of a shame the Busch series didn't use them past the 94 season, as it gave the series it's own distinction. The v6 was also popular in asa and imsa American challenge. Asa used the v6 through the 99 season. 00 they replaced it with a spec ls1.

Yeah I've looked at the Buick, Chevy and Ford v6 racing engines. Quite impressive with a unique sound. Kind of a shame the Busch series didn't use them past the 94 season, as it gave the series it's own distinction. The v6 was also popular in asa and imsa American challenge. Asa used the v6 through the 99 season. 00 they replaced it with a spec ls1.

Yeah
The V-6 engine for sure should be in the Xfinity series right now
And your right the unique sound
I liked it a lot back in the day !

Back