Honda Factory Fill - BUSTED

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you do a hard break-in and change out the super secret special break-in oil early like I did, your engine is DOOMED to fail, just like mine did...at 347K

Quote:

The people that think ARX is needed when new are the ones that are concerned about casting sand and machineing bit's and pieces still being in the engine.

How would ARX help that any more than plain old oil keeping garbage in suspension until it gets captured by the filter?

Don't get me wrong-I like ARX and have had good success with it in the past. I just don't see it making any difference if there are actual debris left over from the original build.

Is sand still an issue when using a lost-foam casting process?

Quote:

The factory is about as dirty as a barn their are always coolant and hydralic leaks so the floor has puddles.

That sounds like an OSHA violation to me.

Last edited:
Geez BlueWorld... Yet another heart-breaking tale of a Honda dying at such a young age. When I lived in Germany my friend had a Honda Accord with about 450K miles on it. He had to pound it down the Autobaun daily just to keep the poor thing alive... Sad really.
laugh.gif

JohnBrowning: My college roomates father work at the Tanawanda assembly plant and he spoke proudly of 2 things:

How the UAW managed to stop GM from installing automation equipment and saving UAW jobs.

How the all knew better than the Engineers on how to assemble things.

I bet watching a GM car being assembled is a lot like watching Jimmy Dean make sausage.

I would suggest the Honda assembly line would make the Audi one look primitive. Probably only second to Toyota in the world for quality.

Yeah, and those ________ GM 3800V6 engines, like the one with 180,000 miles on it, and used maybe a .5-quart of oil on a 5000OCI, that I had to donate away because the car was smashed up around it...

And BTW, GM's reliability record beats Audi and many Euro manufacturers, and Honda transmissions suck!:) (flame suit --on!)

Cheers
beer.gif

GM has to make cars affordable somehow, otherwise we would all be driving Kias. I like my camaro thankyou, and I paid as much for it as a Kia brand new with rebates.

Quote:

Quote:

Some older guy at the dealership....

What is the implication here? How old was he? 85 or so?

This old guy - did he have a name? A title? Always good to know who you are talking to.

The rest of your post - well I didn't get much out of it. His advice sounds just like BITOG. You could change to synthetic from day one or you could leave the factory fill in. As we have said since day one, it's a wash.

[What is the implication here?] I have no idea what your asking, Pablo.

He was 65 or so. No tag, etc. I didn't ask his name, I wasn't the only one in the crowd talking to him and at one point I had to leave because the wife was calling me into the paper signing room.

No doubt you didn't get much from my post, Pablo. Your the oil expert. I'm not. And YOUR contribution to my origianl thread about breaking-in an SI, etc. was what??? Did you give me the same information the guy did? No, but you could have. I don't remember any clear concensus on honda factory fill on BITOG either. You know this is a debated question. It's may be obvious to you and some here, not to guys like me. I guess that's my problem, not yours.

BTW, this was the funniest advice I did get, and there was lots of other good things there, SO PLEASE EVERYONE WHO ADDDED A HELPFUL POST THERE I THANKYOU TOO...but I'm going to post this again anyway. It cracked me up but good. Hope you enjoy it.
Internetoilologist rule #409-AB3 clearly states:

Rid all new engines of the factory fill as soon as humanly possible. UNLESS the new vehicle is a HONDA. Then you must retain the factory fill for the full recommended OCI.

Reports of health issues and bouts of "bad luck" have accompanied those who violate this noble tenent of oilology law. One owner of a Honda did this and a tsunami destroyed the fishing village that was nearby within 24 hours. Coincidence? Maybe ...but can you take the risk??

Now I know what you're thinking.

Was that 10k ..or only 9k? Well in all the confusion of driving a new Honda, the most reliable and covetted value car of the decade, you may have lost count. You've got to ask yourself ...do you feel lucky??
Good advice, but criptically funny. OK. I said I wasn't quick witted.

OIL RECOMMENDED BY HONDA
THE Si uses 5W30 but the manual states 10W30 if it never gets below 20F.
-------------------------
I'll probably use either M1 5W30, Castrol GTX 5W30, or maybe get with the Havoline crowd. I'm not sure how the Oil minder would work with synthetic and it might be just as good to use conventional oil. I'm still searching.

BTW...the search engine doesn't work as good as it used to. Tons of multi posts all on the same thread. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...I try again.

As far as beating a dead horse goes...not all of us live here everyday I bet, and a lot of people come and go and are not everyday regulars. Have a little compassion for those less aware and well read here then some of you.

Finally what the blazes is the baby boomer stuff about? I don't get it. It has what to do with oil?

I'll read further now and see what else is here.

Quote:

Yeah, and those ________ GM 3800V6 engines, like the one with 180,000 miles on it, and used maybe a .5-quart of oil on a 5000OCI, that I had to donate away because the car was smashed up around it...

I hope you are right cause I have one in a 1988 Delta 88 that has about 95,000 miles on it!

Quote:

Quote:

I said I was thinking about changing the oil at 1,000 and woundered how many conventional oil changes after that I should wait before using synthetic oil. He said, "Why do that?". He said it was good oil in it now and leave it in to 3,000 miles.

The baby-boomers will go down in history as those who didn't teach their offspring how to think critically.

All the critical information is given, yet they arrive at the wrong conclusion.

dunno.gif

Could you please explain this answer to me? Besides my spelling error what does your post mean in plain talk? What critical imformation? What in the quote are you talking about? Thinking critically...is that like writing clearly?
Say what you mean and mean what you say, please. The criptic stuff goes over my head.

I really don't get your comment at all. Seriously and without hostility I mean it makes no sense to me.
confused.gif

Quote:

You got good advice from the "old guy", and I don't think it differed from what you got here, providing you sort through the responses critically. What the Honda technical publication said was that Honda uses moly during assembly, and if you look at your oil it will be darker than normal. They were just cautioning you that this is no reason to change it early. It did not say that you have to leave that oil in as a special break in oil. Moly is a thin film lubricant and really only useful when metal to metal contact is being made such as during the initial start of the engine before the oil pump can get oil to all parts of the engine.

By the way, what weight of oil do they recommend for the SI?

5W30 with a 10W30 option if used above 20F. OIL CAP says 5W30. I live in HIGH DRY heat area, dusty at times...rarely below freezing, but it happens afew days a year.
Your SO right.

It wasn't much different from what I sorted through, but honestly there isn't a little "GAUGE" that shows which guys here know and which guys here are echos and ...well, me...often confused about which advice to take seriously, etc...

Quote:

Quote:

LONG incredible story. ...Nothing incredible or even new there. You could have just searched BITOG and learned the same thing.
deadhorse.gif

Thank you for your thoughtful help.

---------------------------
As far as searching goes...The search engine on the new BITOG doesn't work very well for me. Anybody else have that problem? You can get 200 responses, all having to do with the same four of five threads. Search 2006 or 2007 Honda Civic Si and see what you get....Civic Si maybe... see the problem?

This assumes the Baby-Boomers are capable of critical thinking... Afterall they invented LSD, Disco, and the Coke Spoon.....

Just kidding... I wish I could sleep.....

Quote:

If ever you saw how GM builds most of it's engines like the Tonawanda(sp),buick city, etc... plant you would know why some poeple think you need it. It is like stepping back in time.....

Incredible. I thought GM and Ford had recovererd from the 70's-80's and were becoming more like the overseas competition.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LONG incredible story. ...Nothing incredible or even new there. You could have just searched BITOG and learned the same thing.
deadhorse.gif

Thank you for your thoughtful help.

---------------------------
As far as searching goes...The search engine on the new BITOG doesn't work very well for me. Anybody else have that problem? You can get 200 responses, all having to do with the same four of five threads. Search 2006 or 2007 Honda Civic Si and see what you get....Civic Si maybe... see the problem?

Make sure you are only searching one forum at a time, not the whole site.

And if were mine, I'd use Mobil1 5W-30 in the winter, then go 10W-30 the rest of the year and max out your OCI.

Acura service news August 2006

At TQI, does the factory-fill engine oil look less
like Texas Tea and more like Oklahoma Crude?
Don’t worry, there’s nothing wrong with the
engine. The engine oil looks that way because of
molybdenum (that’s “moly” for short), a special
lubricant applied by the factory to critical engine
components during assembly.
When the engine is test-run, that molybdenum
mixes with the engine oil, turning it a dark
metallic color often within the first 5 minutes of
running. And just how dark that engine oil gets
seems to vary between vehicle models, engine
types, and engine assembly plants.

What’s really important to remember here is this:
Don’t change the factory-fill engine oil because it
looks dark; just make sure it’s at the right fluid
level. To ensure proper engine break-in, the
factory-fill engine oil needs to remain in the
engine until the first scheduled maintenance
interval.

What part of this bulletin are you having a hard time comprehending?

Quote:

If ever you saw how GM builds most of it's engines like the Tonawanda(sp),buick city, etc... plant you would know why some poeple think you need it. It is like stepping back in time.The blocks are really dirty and they tumble and shake them in bins with large rocks in them. After lightly spraying any casting sand off they shake them in these bins full of large rocks then they start honey the cylinders. The block is still very dirty and they are doing precession machineing on them.The factory is about as dirty as a barn their are always coolant and hydralic leaks so the floor has puddles.They use a lot of hand labor.I have watched men on the line puting rings on by hand with no tools.They simply bend one end up and chase the other end around the piston. To keep line moveing when a truck did not arive just in time rejected parts were moved back to the line to prevent a shut down. What's that you just droped a piston on the on the ground that ok. the other hand if ever you take a plant tour at Audi the engines are clean enough to eat off of and are cleaned before and after each operation. Humans do very little of the assembly as it is mostly compertized. The plants are really clean!!My point is that their is a huge difference in how some companies build their engines. Some domestic companies still leave more casting sand in the engine then most would like to have in their engine. Some companies stop just short of Clean Room/White Room type cleanliness.

JB, I'm glad to see someone else with real world knowledge of this situation.

This thread busts nothing.

People working for dealers DO NOT work for Honda and DO NOT always give good advice. They have their opinions just like we do.

Here are copy/pasted statements direct from Honda's Owners Link for my 2.4 iVTEC's about oil and break in.

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

What is the break-in period of my Honda?

Help assure your vehicle's future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you drive during the first 600 miles (1,000 kilometers). During this period:

Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.
Avoid hard braking. New brakes need to be broken in by moderate use for the first 200 miles (300 km).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back