Honda Factory Fill - BUSTED

Status
Not open for further replies.
LONG incredible story. I keep getting timed out writing this, so here's the bare bones.

Some older guy at the dealership I picked up my new Civic Si today said to me out of the blue, "Your really going to like your Si. You got the right color, too." Conversation turns to break in. He tells me about metallurgy, cylinder walls, (did I just hear Honda Racing in that sentence????) valves, don't worry about the rings, all sorts of quick little tid bits and things, and by the way the salesman and dealership people around him are acting, I start to realize this guy is a "somebody" with Honda Racing. I ask about when I can start using a synthetic oil. I said I was thinking about changing the oil at 1,000 and woundered how many conventional oil changes after that I should wait before using synthetic oil. He said, "Why do that?". He said it was good oil in it now and leave it in to 3,000 miles.I ask was it special oil or special additives. He laughs and says NO. Nothing special, no break in oil or anything like that. He said I could start using synthetics today if I wanted to. He said a bunch of other stuff about Hondas and was very nice to me despite my BITOG platitudes and myths. (I really realized all my time on BITOG didn't really help me too much....too many myths and opinions to sort through and hard to say whose right and who is not. I'll say this much for a few guys who posted on my original Si break in thread....you knew what you were talking about...or at least I think you do.

This is just another one of those second hand stories, I KNOW, and for what it's worth to anyone, I think the special Honda Factory Fill thing is a BUSTED myth for me. I FORGOT TO ASK HIM ABOUT SYNTHETIC OIL IN THE 6-Speed manual TRANSMISSION, brands etc.!! I really didn't catch on at first he was some kind of Honda Racing guy. Old ex-driver, maybe? He impressed the h#^L out of me and the crowd that gathered to listen to him talk about my new car.

P.S. Thanks, Canada...the car had no flaws and the paint job is perfect!
canada.gif
patriot.gif

What? No secret pre-feudal Japanese process handed down by Buddhist scholars to save it from westernization (the Japanese version of The Dark Ages)?? I'm
shocked.gif

He's correct, the factory fill itself isn't special. It's the assembly lube used during engine assembly, which, when mixed into the initial fill, is designed to provide additional wear protection for at least several thousand miles.

Do some Si's get more assembly lube then others? Or is it put on by robots in a precision way?
crazy.gif
Somebody shoot me.

Quote:

I said I was thinking about changing the oil at 1,000 and woundered how many conventional oil changes after that I should wait before using synthetic oil. He said, "Why do that?". He said it was good oil in it now and leave it in to 3,000 miles.

The baby-boomers will go down in history as those who didn't teach their offspring how to think critically.

All the critical information is given, yet they arrive at the wrong conclusion.

dunno.gif

Quote:

The baby-boomers will go down in history as those who didn't teach their offspring how to think critically.

All the critical information is given, yet they arrive at the wrong conclusion.

dunno.gif

In most cases they also didn't teach their children about
frugality, conservation, manners, ethics, character, losing gracefully, common sense etc, etc, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't Honda imply that they have something in there for the valve-train? I could be wrong, it's been a long time since I read anything about Hondas.

You got good advice from the "old guy", and I don't think it differed from what you got here, providing you sort through the responses critically. What the Honda technical publication said was that Honda uses moly during assembly, and if you look at your oil it will be darker than normal. They were just cautioning you that this is no reason to change it early. It did not say that you have to leave that oil in as a special break in oil. Moly is a thin film lubricant and really only useful when metal to metal contact is being made such as during the initial start of the engine before the oil pump can get oil to all parts of the engine.

By the way, what weight of oil do they recommend for the SI?

I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever "break-in" any new car I purchase in the future, other than to shorten the OCI ever-so-slightly. Unless of course it's a Volkswagon, which mandates that you leave the oil in there for 5000K I believe.

Quote:

LONG incredible story. I keep getting timed out writing this, so here's the bare bones.

Some older guy at the dealership I picked up my new Civic Si today said to me out of the blue, "Your really going to like your Si. You got the right color, too." Conversation turns to break in. He tells me about metallurgy, cylinder walls, (did I just hear Honda Racing in that sentence????) valves, don't worry about the rings, all sorts of quick little tid bits and things, and by the way the salesman and dealership people around him are acting, I start to realize this guy is a "somebody" with Honda Racing. I ask about when I can start using a synthetic oil. I said I was thinking about changing the oil at 1,000 and woundered how many conventional oil changes after that I should wait before using synthetic oil. He said, "Why do that?". He said it was good oil in it now and leave it in to 3,000 miles.I ask was it special oil or special additives. He laughs and says NO. Nothing special, no break in oil or anything like that. He said I could start using synthetics today if I wanted to. He said a bunch of other stuff about Hondas and was very nice to me despite my BITOG platitudes and myths. (I really realized all my time on BITOG didn't really help me too much....too many myths and opinions to sort through and hard to say whose right and who is not. I'll say this much for a few guys who posted on my original Si break in thread....you knew what you were talking about...or at least I think you do.

This is just another one of those second hand stories, I KNOW, and for what it's worth to anyone, I think the special Honda Factory Fill thing is a BUSTED myth for me. I FORGOT TO ASK HIM ABOUT SYNTHETIC OIL IN THE 6-Speed manual TRANSMISSION, brands etc.!! I really didn't catch on at first he was some kind of Honda Racing guy. Old ex-driver, maybe? He impressed the h#^L out of me and the crowd that gathered to listen to him talk about my new car.

P.S. Thanks, Canada...the car had no flaws and the paint job is perfect!
canada.gif
patriot.gif

Nothing incredible or even new there. You could have just searched BITOG and learned the same thing.
deadhorse.gif

Quote:

Some older guy at the dealership....

What is the implication here? How old was he? 85 or so?

This old guy - did he have a name? A title? Always good to know who you are talking to.

The rest of your post - well I didn't get much out of it. His advice sounds just like BiTOG. You could change to synthetic from day one or you could leave the factory fill in. As we have said since day one, it's a wash.

I agree Els and q2b. Problem is several users in the add forum think you need it right off the lot...They will fight tooth-n-nail on this too.
crazy.gif

If ever you saw how GM builds most of it's engines like the Tonawanda(sp),buick city, etc... plant you would know why some poeple think you need it. It is like stepping back in time.The blocks are really dirty and they tumble and shake them in bins with large rocks in them. After lightly spraying any casting sand off they shake them in these bins full of large rocks then they start honey the cylinders. The block is still very dirty and they are doing precession machineing on them.The factory is about as dirty as a barn their are always coolant and hydralic leaks so the floor has puddles.They use a lot of hand labor.I have watched men on the line puting rings on by hand with no tools.They simply bend one end up and chase the other end around the piston. To keep line moveing when a truck did not arive just in time rejected parts were moved back to the line to prevent a shut down. What's that you just droped a piston on the on the ground that ok. the other hand if ever you take a plant tour at Audi the engines are clean enough to eat off of and are cleaned before and after each operation. Humans do very little of the assembly as it is mostly compertized. The plants are really clean!!My point is that their is a huge difference in how some companies build their engines. Some domestic companies still leave more casting sand in the engine then most would like to have in their engine. Some companies stop just short of Clean Room/White Room type cleanliness. The people that think ARX is needed when new are the ones that are concerned about casting sand and machineing bit's and pieces still being in the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back