Honda DOHC VTEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

I know we see a lot of posts regarding what oil is good for what engine but I have not been able to find much information on oils for Honda B series motors. I have the 1.6L DOHC VTEC with 136k on it. This engine is quite rev happy with an 8200 RPM redline. It turns about 3700 RPMs at around 70 MPH. I do about 80% highway driving and have been using Superflo 5w30 since I have had the car (purchased it in 2001 with 88k) I try to stick with 5k OCI's and use purolator premium plus oversized filters (24458). Anyone want to share their opinion of my oil choice, grade choice or OCI's? My only concern is that the high RPM's might shorten the lifespan of this oil. Thanks.

I think sxg6 is the winner! If it was my car, I'd go with 10w-30 in the hottest part of summer but that's just me. Also, if you were to significantly alter your driving style to majority short trips, I'd scale back the change interval to say, 4 months or 4k miles.

Does it consume a decent amount? That's normal for a B series DOHC VTEC motor (lots of rev happy 4 bangers actually). Just keep it topped off which IMO keeps the TBN/additives replenished.

But honestly, your routine is perfectly fine.

It actually doesn't consume much oil at all. I had an integra before this car (del sol) and that ran through oil much faster. I would say it uses about 12oz over 5k miles, which is suprising to me since the RPM's are ususally pretty high.

You can't go wrong with a motor oil that advertises a tiger running at you
tiger_running_sml_2784.jpg

My Integra (B18B) doesn't use oil at 184k miles either, but most people I know said when you are in VTEC it will use some oil, and that the engine likes thicker oil near the w40 weight or a thick w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back