Honda Civic Type R 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read that Honda will finally be releasing the Civic Type R in the US. Usually every other country gets that model except here. I hope it's not an April Fools Day joke because the pics look awesome. Anyone else heard the same?

Wow I hope it doesn't look like that.

I'd almost consider a civic si, but that thing? Yuck.

No this isn't an April fools joke, it was mentioned back in late January. There has been one of two thoughts on this, either Honda will keep the USA Civic SI body and transplant the type r engine and transmission, or more likely we will get the Type R Body. Now the odd reasoning behind this supposedly happening is the exclusive production facility for the European Type R in Swindon England is sitting idle, and Honda North America is hoping by importing the (FN2) or current civic will ramp up production.

Good news; if I wait until 2016 and still want another hot hatch I'll have some excellent choices:

Civic Type R
Focus RS
Golf R(no manual until 2016)
Mazdaspeed 3(300 bhp+AWD if the rumors pan out)

Yes, I was announced to canadian press at the Geneva auto show, so not an April fool joke.

I read today, that we will finally get the Civic in Hatchback form, first in 3 doors, next in 5.
So they will probably come from the UK. At the same time, Honda Canada will build the CR-V for Europe.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
It looks HIDEOUS!

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2016-honda-civic-type-r-photos-and-info-news

I think the photo in this Car&Driver article is 5-dr hatchback type-R made in England for European only. There is no photo of the Civic type-R for US market yet. I think most likely only 2-dr coupe will have type-R version.

"One reason is that this Type R uses as its starting point the European Civic four-door hatchback, which is not same as the U.S. model"

Standard 4-dr should be the one pictured below

2016-Honda-Civic-Concept.jpg

The 2-dr coupe should be similar to this concept car photo, which isn't too bad.

2016-Honda-Civic-Coupe-Concept-3.jpg

I got other infos from the french speaking side of the canadian press, so he may only apply only to Canada, I don't know:

- Sedan and coupe Civic will be based on american chassis, concept can seen in New York now and will be availble this autumn already.
- 3 doors and 5 doors Civic will be based on european chassis... and will come... to Canada at least.
- European Type R Civic (made in UK) will come... to Canada at least.

Originally Posted By: Xeno
$30k price tag, I'm sure. Rather buy a WRX or 370z at that price point.

Yes, if I am dropping that much coin already, I'd rather have the AWD of the Focus RS (yes it will be way north of that price, but I will also feel better for buying it over any 'duh).
wink.gif
19.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
Civic-R Too bad R didn't stand for rear wheel drive. Instead of Rice.

I love rice!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
It looks HIDEOUS!

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2016-honda-civic-type-r-photos-and-info-news

I think the photo in this Car&Driver article is 5-dr hatchback type-R made in England for European only. There is no photo of the Civic type-R for US market yet. I think most likely only 2-dr coupe will have type-R version.

"One reason is that this Type R uses as its starting point the European Civic four-door hatchback, which is not same as the U.S. model"

Standard 4-dr should be the one pictured below

2016-Honda-Civic-Concept.jpg

The 2-dr coupe should be similar to this concept car photo, which isn't too bad.

2016-Honda-Civic-Coupe-Concept-3.jpg

Terrific color on that coupe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back