Home Fuel Oil is Insane Right Now in NYS

Called oil company today for an oil delivery, the price of home heating oil here is $5.49... Road diesel is ~$4.60, why is untaxed heating oil above the price of taxed road diesel? Is there any real reason we can think of?

My tank is at one quarter of a tank, which will cost me $1512.00 to fill my tank. ***

Called oil company today for an oil delivery, the price of home heating oil here is $5.49... Road diesel is ~$4.60, why is untaxed heating oil above the price of taxed road diesel? Is there any real reason we can think of?

My tank is at one quarter of a tank, which will cost me $1512.00 to fill my tank. ***
Answer, buy road diesel

4A474473-9F16-4959-ABF3-2ABE68DEEBFE.jpeg

My father never used “home heating oil” he just went to the duty free station and chose whatever was cheapest be it on-road or off.

Can still remember him hand transferring 40 gallons of diesel out of the 82 diesel suburbans 42 gallon fuel tank.

Any time you depend on someone to deliver expect a rip off,

It’s like that around here for propane, price can be 2x different one day to the next depending on who you buy from.

Also note there is an ever expanding industry of fuel delivery trucks that go to your parked car and fill it with gasoline while you work, shop, whatever. Owner can schedule top offs, as often as they want anywhere.
A place like that might be cheaper than fuel oil if they handle diesel instead of just home gasoline deliveries.

Worth noting the last time this happened Morgan Stanley had the eastern Seaboard fuel oil market cornered, we all know how that worked out. History repeats with bad investment decisions

Last edited:

Is this No 2 fuel oil?

Is this No 2 fuel oil?
Had to look it up, but yes.. #2 home heating oil. Spoke with super nice worker at the supplier who gave me a decent lesson of their price changes.. She said they paid about $4.90 per gallon for 10k gallons last week.. Said they aim to make $0.20 cents per gallon there; I believe her.

Diesel around here is ~$4.70 yesterday at Stewarts. Guess I'm buying 5 gals of road diesel a day until the weather averages above 50*..

When I lived on Long Island and had oil heat I always paid cheap for oil vs market rate. I dont understand, do you not have the option to buy at a contract price before the heating season starts?
or
Are you forced to buy at spot oil prices because lack of competition upstate?
or
Do you roll the dice, have the option to buy at a contract price but decide not too?

Well, I no longer live on Long Island and now live in a energy efficient home built in 2006 with gas heat in South Carolina loving it. 🙃

You have to get contracted up off season...the max I can pay is $3.25 a gallon...worth it.

Of course those that talk big on here say fuel costs don't bother them...
They bother me because of the volume I use...so I feel your pain...

Sticker shock is the norm these days...
Its too bad natural gas isnt everywhere. Im in the heating bill doesnt bother me camp and Im not talking big many Americans spend more for pay TV then I pay for heat and A/C> I think most will agree its dirt cheap for our 3000 sq ft home.
Here is 4 years worth;
Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 1.24.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 1.24.44 PM.png

Can you just get say 100 gallons to get you through? Summer is just around the corner. I just paid $3.95 per gallon of propane. Had 50 gallons put in the tank which will get me through till the summer price break
I was thinking that myself, and if I absolutely need to do it thats what they said they could do. They said they'd even go down to 75 for a delivery. Mid summer they said the prices will be reasonable again.
When I lived on Long Island and had oil heat I always paid cheap for oil vs market rate. I dont understand, do you not have the option to buy at a contract price before the heating season starts?
or
Are you forced to buy at spot oil prices because lack of competition upstate?
or
Do you roll the dice, have the option to buy at a contract price but decide not too?

Well, I no longer live on Long Island and now live in a energy efficient home built in 2006 with gas heat in South Carolina loving it. 🙃
This supplier does not have a contract program. They do however, let you carry a balance throughout the season and they will still deliver with a balance. This has been a life saver since my wife left, the burden of debt has doubled for me.
They fill automatically, I've absolutely never worried about my oil levels except to check my approx. usage habit. They don't pester you for money either. Lady calls and asks, tells you to pay when you can but the sooner the better, super sweet and understanding.

But yeah, I'll be checking out other local companies today.. I do not think they'll let you carry a balance like my place does. Seriously, that carry has saved m

Its too bad natural gas isnt everywhere. Im in the heating bill doesnt bother me camp and Im not talking big many Americans spend more for pay TV then I pay for heat and A/C> I think most will agree its dirt cheap for our 3000 sq ft home.
Here is 4 years worth;
View attachment 93629View attachment 93630
The natural gas line is run to my neighbors house, opposite corner of his property from mine.. Last time I asked for service some ****** quoted me like $3k for the hook up. I'm working with my neighbor (construction) to try and get the line extended over. The other neighbors and I are meeting about the subject after all of us call and get facts.. Wish me luck, I can convert my furnace from oil to gas with a new burner for only $380.. I'm very lucky in that aspect..

Wow, I do wish you luck, so strange, you would think they would run the line for you. You have a right to be angry!
... and ohhhh... I know about the "burden" part, been there, done that! Things get better though! Its way in my past now.

i'd get a place with natural gas. 1500 bucks is a dent to anyones wallet. Sorry to hear that.

My mom had a 1890's house with home heating oil furnace. We got rid of it and had natural gas line ran. She was spending 500 bucks a month on heating oil and her house was not warm at all.

Now she is about 175 per month and keeps the house reasonably warm.

The natural gas line is run to my neighbors house, opposite corner of his property from mine.. Last time I asked for service some ****** quoted me like $3k for the hook up. I'm working with my neighbor (construction) to try and get the line extended over. The other neighbors and I are meeting about the subject after all of us call and get facts.. Wish me luck, I can convert my furnace from oil to gas with a new burner for only $380.. I'm very lucky in that aspect..
How are you going to split the bill if you guys have only 1 meter?

Here is 4 years worth;
View attachment 93629View attachment 93630
Yeah I don't consider that bad at all.
I locked in on Propane prebuy not long ago because of fear...lol.
I think it was $1.31???

That said when you have 3 or 4 houses and stuff like @AutoMechanic. has things get tough.
My brother has natural gas and never a meter. They just charged him a flat fee..dang..give that to me..

Like you I conserve anyway even if it was free. The rich are no longer rich these days😄😄

Definitely call around. In my area (Northern Connecticut) there can be more than a dollar difference between the low and high oil price. Right now prices range $4.29 - $4.99. I ordered 150 gallons recently to hold us over. One winter we had no money, I was buying diesel 10 gallons at a time. Good luck.

I was thinking that myself, and if I absolutely need to do it thats what they said they could do. They said they'd even go down to 75 for a delivery. Mid summer they said the prices will be reasonable again.

This supplier does not have a contract program. They do however, let you carry a balance throughout the season and they will still deliver with a balance. This has been a life saver since my wife left, the burden of debt has doubled for me.
They fill automatically, I've absolutely never worried about my oil levels except to check my approx. usage habit. They don't pester you for money either. Lady calls and asks, tells you to pay when you can but the sooner the better, super sweet and understanding.

But yeah, I'll be checking out other local companies today.. I do not think they'll let you carry a balance like my place does. Seriously, that carry has saved m

Hope you have looser regulations than we do downstate and you can get the tie in done. I'm in Southern Dutchess on top of a big hill and we have ZERO natural gas lines. I do have propane. Pellet stove in the basement and LP gas insert was a revelation this winter for us. And I say this as a guy who gets 10 cents above rack for #2 heating oil.

How are you going to split the bill if you guys have only 1 meter?
No, the line stops in front of his house, just contacted national grid to issue a work order to invetestigate running the main down to my property. Have work order, sending company out to look at the distance from the center of the road to house. Guess they cover 100ft free, rest is up to me.

Back