Water In Fuel Filter - Sensor Issue?

Hi all.

I have a 1.6 diesel Honda Civic. I keep getting a "Water In Fuel Filter" info pop up on the dashboard.

It sat for quite a while (2 weeks) not getting used much over the cold wet Christmas period with about quarter of a tank of diesel.

I'm wondering if condensation is the cause and has built up in the tank?

The light came on about 3 miles from work, so I carried on. I then got in the car after work and it was gone until again about 5 milee from home it came on.

I have added a bottle of Wynns Dry Fuel and filled the tank witj fresh diesel but it seems to keep coming on near the end of my drives.

I'm loathed to get under the car and start draining fuel filters etc as it' a nightmare to get to, and the sporadic nature of it is telling me it's either a very tiny amount, or the sensor is playing up.

Has anyone had any luck with these dry fuel products at solving an issue like this? Is it more likely a sensor issue do you think?

Seeing as it keeps going off every time the car is left a little while I'm tempted to just run this tank down and try a second bottle of dry fuel with a lot less fuel in the tank.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

We don't have Honda diesel in the US.
However, just in general, did you fill up with fuel that is contaminated with water may be in the last fill up?
Of course, the station will not admit that.

In my experience owning a diesel truck in the past, if you have the WIF light on, one usually have the contaminated fuel.
You may need to drain it and don't go back to the same place where you fill up last time.

Changing fuel filter a few times after should help.
I am not sure if there is a fuel filter in there or not, though.

We don't have Honda diesel in the US.
However, just in general, did you fill up with fuel that is contaminated with water may be in the last fill up?
Of course, the station will not admit that.

In my experience owning a diesel truck in the past, if you have the WIF light on, one usually have the contaminated fuel.
You may need to drain it and don't go back to the same place where you fill up last time.

Changing fuel filter a few times after should help.
I am not sure if there is a fuel filter in there or not, though.

I'm not sure if it was contaminated. It's a very busy premium fuel station (shell) so I'd have thought it would be decent fuel. I used about 3/4 of a tank on that fill up before the light reared it's head, and that was after the car hadn't been used for quite a while over Christmas.

I want to try and change the fuel filter but it was only done a year ago and where it is on the rear of the engine near the top is a totall PITA to get to. 🙄

I'm sure I'll end up doing that, I just really don't fancy it only to find it's a sensor fault or something that I maybe able to clear with another bottle of dry fuel or something.

Dry fuel is probably just pure alcohol which is very dry and lacks lubricity, so careful how much you use.
The sensor, I’m sure there is a way to test it. Which is what I would recommend you do. Otherwise it’s just guesswork.

I think you're right. I'm wondering if I've dilluted it way too much in a whole tank of fuel and it's not doing the job as well. But who knows!

@jtay2023 is there a drain on your fuel filter? A WIF sensor is usually in a fuel filter housing, at least on my 2012 Ram CTD it is...

I would find your fuel filter and look for a drain. If it has a drain, open it and let the water out into a drain pan. Problem should be solved.

FWIW I would avoid using any kind of additive that has alcohol or "dissolves" the water into the fuel. Water is very hard on HPCR diesel systems. Generally with a diesel you want to go the other way and separate out the water in the filter and drain it off...

Just my $0.02

@jtay2023 is there a drain on your fuel filter? A WIF sensor is usually in a fuel filter housing, at least on my 2012 Ram CTD it is...

I would find your fuel filter and look for a drain. If it has a drain, open it and let the water out into a drain pan. Problem should be solved.

FWIW I would avoid using any kind of additive that has alcohol or "dissolves" the water into the fuel. Water is very hard on HPCR diesel systems. Generally with a diesel you want to go the other way and separate out the water in the filter and drain it off...

Just my $0.02
I'll have to try and have a look one of the evenings this week. It's a pig to get to and I don't have the kit I need to do it properly (Jacks / Axle stands / etc). I know all the stupid under tray bolts as seized & rounded off as well. 😒 I'll see what I can get done tomorrow.

This is the filter type. I believe the sensor screws into the bottom. I just know access will be a total nightmare. Might just have to pay a garage to get it on a ramp and do it for me.

Filter1.jpg
Filter2.jpg

Yeah, I think I found where it's located. Typical "easy to maintain" Honda. They even put an axle in your way

I don't blame you for not wanting to deal with it, that fuel filter location is one of the worst I've seen on a diesel equipped vehicle.

Does the sensor come out easily? The water should be at the bottom, so you don't have to remove the whole filter, just unscrew the sensor and let some diesel drain out and check it for water,

Filter.jpg

Yeah, I think I found where it's located. Typical "easy to maintain" Honda. They even put an axle in your way

I don't blame you for not wanting to deal with it, that fuel filter location is one of the worst I've seen on a diesel equipped vehicle.

Does the sensor come out easily? The water should be at the bottom, so you don't have to remove the whole filter, just unscrew the sensor and let some diesel drain out and check it for water,

View attachment 197353

I think that's what I'll have to try and do. Hopefully the undertray comes off easily enough. 🤣 Cheers.

Back