Home Depot Husky Generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
...For every person that was 100% prepared there were probably 10,000 people who weren't, maybe more.

Which I don't entirely get. The warnings were pretty dire and were given almost constantly for days prior.

Like you say, people in the area never experienced it before, so they didn't believe the warnings entirely.

I bet things will be different next time!

Upstate where I live, they never get the forecast right, so we'd be caught off-guard too. I'll take a few Great Lakes over an ocean any day though.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
...For every person that was 100% prepared there were probably 10,000 people who weren't, maybe more.

Which I don't entirely get. The warnings were pretty dire and were given almost constantly for days prior.

Like you say, people in the area never experienced it before, so they didn't believe the warnings entirely.

I bet things will be different next time!

Upstate where I live, they never get the forecast right, so we'd be caught off-guard too. I'll take a few Great Lakes over an ocean any day though.

Joel

You can be sure things will be different next time!

I have a good customer who lives about 25 yards from the bay. He had fish swimming in his living room in 4' of water. He lived in his place for 26 years and thought he could ride this one out. It truly was the perfect storm, and we didn't get nearly as much rain as they were calling for.

If Sandy was a fast moving 1, how far inland and how many more people would be effected by a slow moving 2,3,4,or 5 hitting the east coast?

While comparing Katrina to Sandy is like comparing apples and oranges, if an equivalent to Katrina in strength storm hit the east coast the damage would have been much worse. And remember that Katrina basically stalled at the shore line and sat there for two days. Sandy was a 1 and it speed up and rushed through the shore line.

Sandy cost us almost 10k in damages with those scary as [censored] 90mph wind gusts. Most uneasy I`v felt in a long time. And I`v had a tornado go past me (with in a 1/4) when I was in Ft.Sill OK for basic training.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Sandy cost us almost 10k in damages with those scary as [censored] 90mph wind gusts. Most uneasy I`v felt in a long time.

I don't think we had 90mph gusts but I definetly could feel the house sway a few times.
At first I attributed it to poor construction but it seems lots of other people had similar experiences.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: JTK
Yeah, I'm not sure Generac is quite what it used to be in the small portable gen realm.

Not what they used to be, but not quite the bottom of the barrel either. Generac is still okay for the most part and not a bad buy most of the time. Briggs & Stratton owns them, not that that really means anything anymore.

I think Husky is going to be a TTI product, but I might be wrong. With TTI it's a grab bag. It may be fine for as long as you care about it, or it may fail in a catastrophic way. Husky is no better or worse than Homelite.

Generators are for emergency stuff. Power your fridge/freezer for a few hours a day to save $$$ of food, charge batteries and not just the AA/C/D kind. I'm talking a nice sexy bank of 12v deep discharge with a 1000w inverter. That way you're not running the generator all day and still have lights, tablets and internet
wink.gif

FWIW, I store 80 litres of premium gas with MMO and stabil. I'm thinking of doubling that storage after Sandy.

For those wanting heat, don't use a generator for that... you'll just gobble your gas. Get one of these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_93043-88644-RMC-95C6B_0__?productId=3471481&Ntt=kerosene+heaters&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dkerosene%2Bheaters&facetInfo=

And store about 40 litres of Kerosene. I can't believe how much heat that unit gives off. Kept my basement at 80 degrees after running for 2 hours. Had to turn it off.

I had a similar kerosene heater. I used to use it as my sole heat source for my old house. Newer house doesn't get as cold, so didn't use it much. Finally gave it away.

A wood stove is a perfect source of heat when the power is out. Mine heats the house more evenly when I run the blower (small generator works great for that), bit it works well enough without the blower. The fuel is easy to store and non hazardous unless a big pile of wood falls on you. And the events that cause extended power outages in my area tend to provide large amounts of free fuel. It just takes some work to cut, split and stack the downed trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back