Home Auto Repair Question

This is America and I'll work on whoever's vehicle I please in MY driveway/garage. My neighbors, the town, the state and the IRS can go **** themselves! This is a ridiculous thread for a ridiculous hypothetical problem that only exists in bizarro world!

This is America and I'll work on whoever's vehicle I please in MY driveway/garage. My neighbors, the town, the state and the IRS can go **** themselves! This is a ridiculous thread for a ridiculous hypothetical problem that only exists in bizarro world!
While I completely agree with your sentiment, I think it ironic, coming from someone living in Massachusetts, one of the most restrictive states in the union...

While I completely agree with your sentiment, I think it ironic, coming from someone living in Massachusetts, one of the most restrictive states in the union...
Hmmm, and yet I would have no problem fixing my friend's and family's vehicles in my driveway.

Now there is an Ordinance to be ignored. Talk about infringement.

Of course, I'm in the woods in a log cabin on 2 acres. Not in these stupid row houses in Arizona or '
Florida with the neighbor house 20 feet away. And trying to make the neighborhood look "pretty" and "sanitized" and ultimately presenting as synthesized regurgitation-inducing garbage.

I don't understand.

We have a HOA and it states no working on your vehicle in the driveway. Not strictly enforced as lots of folks do it. Couple of young fellows a couple of streets over always working on their vehicles which I enjoy seeing. This kind of thing doesn't bother me. I am the live and let live type.

HOA gave my brother a warning cause his hood was open and he was adding wiper water to tank.

From an ordinance standpoint, is there anything that would prevent me from working on my friends' and neighbors' vehicles at my house if I am not charging them?

I recognize that running an auto repair business out of your garage can bring a slew of ordinance and regulatory issues, but is there anything that I need to be aware of if I am doing pro-bono work for friends and neighbors? Obviously I would be assuming any/all liability associated with the work and would need to follow any local noise ordinances.

For the purposes of this question, I am not registered as a business and am just an individual.

Just curious.

Pull car into your garage and shut the door.

City should not bother you if you are helping your friends and relatives.

Last edited:
I wouldn't, either, but many municipalities have passed ordinances against such repairs, and many of those municipalities are in Massachusetts ...
I must be lucky...I don't give a flying **** what my neighbors are doing and they don't care what I'm doing and the town has no way to know what we're doing. Neighbor's kid and his friends are always outside working on each other's vehicles. Never occured to me they didn't have the right in their driveway. You'd have to be a huge **** to care and call the town.

HOA gave my brother a warning cause his hood was open and he was adding wiper water to tank.
I'd tell them busy bodies to stick that - but I would NEVER live in that kind or unconstitutional commune environment.
What is WRONG with sheeple these days?
Sorry about my passion - this a major pet peeve. I've had run-ins at my Mother's condo in SW Florida when I was trying to move her. VERY ugly stuff and dealing with unfeeling, terrible and basically stupid people who think they have some power to wield in wicked ways.
Now my BP is up and I'm trying HARD to keep it under 200.

Come back when you have something to lose. If you have nothing to lose then nobody will bother you or sue you.

I'd be tempted to just remove my hood for a month! See how they like that.
They'll probably send you a warning for non operational vehicles. The thing is there is a Karen in HOA and the only way to fight back is to get in the HOA and participate in all the meeting and then fight back the Karen.

Most normal people don't go to HOA meetings so they end up only with old people with nothing to do but complain all day or housewives who have time and want to complain about everything.

When it comes to doing things on your property that are out of ordinary, a lot depends on your neighbors. If no one makes any complaints, you won't run into any troubles most likely.

However if your neighbors, and these maybe be few streets over, do start making complaints, you can be sure that the busy bodies in the city hall will find an ordinance that will give them leverage over you. And in most cases, a generic "concern to public safety" is more than enough, when no ordinance is found. They may even put your house under surveillance.
These are extreme cases of course, but it can happen if other people don't like what you are doing.

In other words, you may not be breaking any laws or ordinances, but if people in your community don't like what you're doing and make complaints, the city will put pressure on you to stop the activity.

Back