Home Auto Repair Question

From an ordinance standpoint, is there anything that would prevent me from working on my friends' and neighbors' vehicles at my house if I am not charging them?

I recognize that running an auto repair business out of your garage can bring a slew of ordinance and regulatory issues, but is there anything that I need to be aware of if I am doing pro-bono work for friends and neighbors? Obviously I would be assuming any/all liability associated with the work and would need to follow any local noise ordinances.

For the purposes of this question, I am not registered as a business and am just an individual.

Just curious.

If you lived where I live, then no problem. But, Cali has all types of crazy laws, so who knows? LOL

I would say, as long as there are no HOA rules, or neighbors with nothing better to do than raise a stink, go for it.

For a state where a neighbor will call the cops because you put the wrong plastic into the wrong recycling bin, it's probably smart to be asking this question on your part. ;)

Depends upon where you live. And if you have that neighbor who makes a hobby of reporting everything they see to the authorities.
That is essentially my question: if a neighbor was to complain, what could the city do about it? If I work on 1-2 cars per week that do not belong to me and I am not running a business, what would I be violating?

That is essentially my question: if a neighbor was to complain, what could the city do about it? If I work on 1-2 cars per week that do not belong to me and I am not running a business, what would I be violating?
I think if there is any ordinance it would be written for YOUR OWN vehicle repair instead of non profit for others repair. It would be more about zoning instead of law, and it would likely be more about noise and parking instead of what you do in your garage.

Typically those ordinance is about street parking, noise, and whether the vehicle can move on its own or non operational. Typically the city knows when a Karen complain, or file lawsuit. Usually this come from either older neighbor or rich neighbor, or both.

I think that’s a question best asked of your city, not BITOG.

I would make a phone call to the city offices. Zoning enforcement, perhaps.

E.G. for profit auto repair is prohibited.

Working on cars is not.

Around here there are pretty strict "derelict vehicle" codes. We have clipboard warriors that roam the streets to spot expired tags and inspections. You can't even have a car parked in your driveway with an expired tag, expired inspection, etc.

If you live in a subdivision with an HOA that's a whole other can of worms! You then probably have a limit on the number of vehicles you can have parked in your driveway/in front of your house, etc. Some of the local HOAs have a strict ban on working on your car in a space visible from the street.

Really gotta find out what your rules are locally.

If you are working "on 1-2 cars per week" you are violating the residential zoning. If it's a one week only or "occasionally" thing it's probably not going to draw attention. It just depends on frequency versus how aggressive your municipality is at enforcing these things.

If you are working "on 1-2 cars per week" you are violating the residential zoning. If it's a one week only or "occasionally" thing it's probably not going to draw attention. It just depends on frequency versus how aggressive your municipality is at enforcing these things.
I think it depends on how the zoning is written. Here, the determinant is “for profit”, not frequency or number.

Again, a call to the OP’s city would be best.

I think it depends on how the zoning is written. Here, the determinant is “for profit”, not frequency or number.

So like, you could be 877-kars4kids, and pile up 10 vehicles ready to be repaired on your property? So weird.

But city counsels have their own way of voting, and sometimes they don't think things through well.

Around here there are pretty strict "derelict vehicle" codes. We have clipboard warriors that roam the streets to spot expired tags and inspections. You can't even have a car parked in your driveway with an expired tag, expired inspection, etc.

If you live in a subdivision with an HOA that's a whole other can of worms! You then probably have a limit on the number of vehicles you can have parked in your driveway/in front of your house, etc. Some of the local HOAs have a strict ban on working on your car in a space visible from the street.

Really gotta find out what your rules are locally.
Omg how could anyone live like that??

I don't think 1 or 2 cars per week matter. What if you have a hobby collecting cars and you are always fixing your own cars. What if you are low income and your cars always break down? That would be a law that draws attention for lawsuit to the city, their lawyers would warn them not to write it in such a word. It is also not something they want to bother with and take side. "Fixing for a friend" is not something happens enough that people do too much about. It is usually about running a business without license or leaving non operational expired registration car on the curb, or noise.

I have a feeling that a phone call would trigger some questions about my identity and locations, and therefore, place me on the radar.

I have reviewed the city's online municipal code and I was unable to find any information that specifically identifies my activities to be in violation. Noise would be the only item that I could foresee a complaint about, but I do not work outside of the hours deemed to be acceptable.

Hypothetically, if I was a home-based business, the following criteria would be used to determine eligibility when applying for a "Home Occupation" permit:

The Community Development Director shall refer any application to the Planning Commission for a decision if, in the judgment of the Community Development Director, the application may potentially have an adverse effect on the neighborhood residents.

B.

Standards of Approval. Home occupation permits approved by the Community Development Director shall meet the following standards at all times.

The home occupation shall be subordinate and incidental to the primary use of the dwelling unit for residential purposes.

The home occupation shall be compatible with and not change the character of adjacent residential areas.

The dwelling unit shall be located in an Agricultural, Residential, or Planned Development (Residential) District.

The home occupation shall not use more than one room, or twenty-five percent (25%) of the habitable floor area of the principle structure, whichever is greater. Garage areas and living areas within accessory structures and secondary dwelling units shall not be considered as part of the habitable floor area of the principal structure.

No persons shall be employed, except the applicant and members of the resident family, in the conduct of the home occupation.

There shall be no merchandise or services for sale, except that produced or made on the premises, and which can be shipped directly, electronically, or sold at another location.

There shall be no signage or exterior indication of the home occupation.

There shall be no outside display or storage of goods or materials.

The home occupation shall not create any noise, odor, dust, fumes, vibrations, electrical interference, or other interference with the residential use of adjacent areas.

There shall be no use of utilities or community facilities beyond that normal to the residential use of the property.

The home occupation shall not decrease the number or size of parking spaces below that needed to meet the minimum off-street parking requirements for the residence.

Delivery vehicles shall be limited to those types of vehicles, which typically make deliveries to residential neighborhoods, such as postal service, parcel deliveries, pickup trucks, and light vans. A maximum of four (4) deliveries per day is allowed.

The home occupation shall not generate client/student traffic to the residence.

Any chemicals or hazardous materials used or stored on the property shall not exceed that associated with normal household activities or hobby uses.

Any use of materials or mechanical equipment shall not exceed that associated with normal household activities or hobby uses.

No home occupation permit may authorize or approve any commercial cannabis uses, as defined in Section 17.95.010, including but not limited to, the operation of a cannabis retailer, manufacturing of cannabis products, cannabis delivery service and/or the storage of cannabis in excess of those amounts permitted for personal use pursuant to Health and Safety Code Section 11362.1.

C.

Appeal Procedure. Any decision of the Community Development Director regarding a home occupation permit may be appealed to the Planning Commission within ten (10) days of the notice of decision.

From an ordinance standpoint, is there anything that would prevent me from working on my friends' and neighbors' vehicles at my house if I am not charging them?
While you're not charging them, I assume you get some compensation? Dinner at one neighbors, a ride to the airport from another. I'd think the IRS would be more interested in these transactions than your city or county, not that the latter wouldn't have a problem with the activity either. Repairing cars that are not your own in a residential zone, even for no monitory compensation would certainly be a zoning violation in most places. What happens if an inspector comes by and asks for the registration of a car you're working on and it's not yours. You got a problem.

I have a feeling that a phone call would trigger some questions about my identity and locations, and therefore, place me on the radar.

I have reviewed the city's online municipal code and I was unable to find any information that specifically identifies my activities to be in violation. Noise would be the only item that I could foresee a complaint about, but I do not work outside of the hours deemed to be acceptable.
Sounds like all you need is your buddy watching, beer in hand. If anyone asks, he helped you build a picnic table last weekend, and now you're helping him with a car repair. Just guys hanging out doing guy stuff.

Reactions: JC1
Back