Holy filter failure Batman!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same Ecotec in my Cavalier with 200k miles.
The filters that have held up best for me are the Amsoil filters with the wire backed media, all the rest seem to come out crushed to some degree.
I typically change my oil once a year with Amsoil SS and their filter, my mileage is usually 10-12k miles.
Any of the filters from my engine never had the amount of sludge the OP's photos show, even with 10-12k on them.
The oe Hengst filters I had ran for 3-4 k never looked anywhere close either.

Either the owner missed some oil changes, or the quick lube place never changed the filter.
A friend of mine caught a quick lube place telling a customer with an Ecotec here car "didn't have an oil filter", when my friend corrected them and showed them where the filter was located, they played dumb and acted like they didn't know. I find it hard to believe they genuinely didnt know the car had an oil filter when a filter is listed in any filter catalog.
I wonder how many filters dont get changed at these quick lube shops?!

Originally Posted by NWCoaster
Some engines just burn cleaner that others.... GM seems to have problems getting cylinder sizes accurate to keep pistons from slapping around in there... just do a little research on the internet, it is pitiful... not to mention the metal shavings in their Corvette motors… pretty pathetic really.

My 2010 5.3L was starting to develop that sound at start up - but zero oil consumption and never saw the dealer in 8 years of hard use.
My BiL's 5.3L was a piston slapper for most of the 400k it lasted when the transmission started to go.
Our Cruze is at 115k and no oil consumption.

My 2017/2018 5.3L's are far quieter than older gens (no slap) - in fact quieter on 0w20 than the older engine on 15w40.
And quieter than the 2015 3.5L ecoboost we traded in was on 5w30 PUP or 0w40 M1
(new GM engines have many internal changes including piston jets).

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by gamefoo21
I hate to be that guy, but I have to be that guy.

The ACDelco cartridges for the Ecotech 2.2, crumple and look like garbage every time. My source a 2008 Cobalt with an owner who changes oil at 50% like clockwork.

The car runs either Shell bulk 5w30 from the GM dealer, or High Mileage 5w30 synthetic. I've finally convinced him to try the Fram XG cartridge, since the oil is always pitch black and the ACD filter is failing.

Don't blame the owner here.

I get it that this engine is tough on oil and filters...but owner let the sump get all the way down to 2 quarts - which tells me it was probably never checked. Owner failure there, hopefully Ponchinizo's education will work...or that engine's dying an early death.

These things also love to suddenly consume oil.

That and considering how even the dealer likes to mangle the air filter, it could have a messed up air filter so it's sucking dirt.

It's still good practice to check the oil/fluid level on any car at least bi-weekly.

One thing to watch out for on those 2.2 Ecoturds, is that the block likes to suddenly develop porosity problems.

Oh and the last dealer(ACD) filter cart came out in pieces. The plastic core failed so that was fun to fish out.

I'm currently driving a 2008 Cobalt with 228,760 miles. Acquired at 207K. I've done three oil changes myself on it, 7K each, at or around 33% on the oil life monitor.

Previous owner claimed he was an ASE certified mechanic. Did all his own work, he said. Ball joints and control arms, brakes, timing chain, injectors, shocks and struts were all allegedly done between 160K and 207K.

I bought the car after my Corolla was repossessed from the hospital parking lot while I was recovering from a heart attack. But that's another story.

Once I felt up to driving and doing repairs on the car, I discovered that the previous owner was full of...uh...sludge. Sadly, so was this engine. The oil filter at 214K looked like the OP's almost exactly.

221K came after adding three quarts of oil in between. Oil was still 1.5 quarts low at change time. Filter was crushed but less gritty and came out easier so that's better.

228K used 3 quarts also in between but was only a half quart low when drained. Filter wasn't even black really. I expect the next change to also improve.

Not changing brands or anything yet. 5W30 Wal-Mart conventional and the same AC Delco filters so far.

On that Cobalt, I would highly reccomend going with a 5w30 or 10w30 HM oil.

Run the OLM to 50% and before dumping the oil add half a jug of flush, follow directions. Drain the oil when it's hot, to get most of that crap out. After the second flush go to a Fram Ultra cartridge, and keep on with the HM oil, change oil around 10-20%, you can swap the filter every second or third oil change. Even inspect it to see if it's getting sludged if you are concerned.

You want the esters in that HM oil to start in those seals, as well as the beefed up cleaning additives.

Check the trans fluid, check the coolant, Dex becomes Deathcool after 10 years, the pressure cap is also a wimp now. With some pre-emptive strikes against those if they weren't done properly which it sounds like, the rest of the drive train is acceptably reliable. I wonder what the plugs look like...

The trans fluid is likely original... Standard filter for a 4T40e/45e. Level check port on passenger side below and in front of the passenger side axle, 8mm or 5/16 wrench. Open when running and warmed up, it should dribble out. Fill port on top is the red plastic thing. Cooler lines likely leaking.

Three closing thoughts...

Don't forget the cabin filter behind the glovebox.

Mechanic is typical mechanic [censored].

Glad to hear you're recovering from the heart attack, may you have many more oil changes in your future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back