High School Reunions - Generational thing?

We had a 5 year reunion. Quickly realized that we all still hated each other, and it wasn't worth it.

We finally then had a 32 year reunion. What? A 32 year reunion. What was up with that? Yeah... we'd all turned 50.

About half of the class showed up. Half of 40, that is. Yeah, a small high school.

Found out that we had gotten over hating each other... finally.

Well older generations didn’t have the internet and social media.

There's probably something to this as far as people not being interested. Everyone knows everyone else's biz 24/7.

I graduated in '75 and went to some of them but had a better time at my wife's. We moved 2100 miles away and haven't gone back for any. Doubt we'll go to the 50th. We don't do social media so we don't know what we miss.

We had a 5 year reunion. Quickly realized that we all still hated each other, and it wasn't worth it.

We finally then had a 32 year reunion. What? A 32 year reunion. What was up with that? Yeah... we'd all turned 50.

About half of the class showed up. Half of 40, that is. Yeah, a small high school.

This is the best post in this thread.

There's probably something to this as far as people not being interested. Everyone knows everyone else's biz 24/7.

I graduated in '75 and went to some of them but had a better time at my wife's. We moved 2100 miles away and haven't gone back for any. Doubt we'll go to the 50th. We don't do social media so we don't know what we miss.

I haven‘t had to log on to social media, because my wife is all about that; fortunately, not in the usual narcissistic way. She actually likes people (yuck!) and people like her! She updates me on what’s going on with everyone. I like to listen to her talk more than I’d ever care about who she’s talking about.

I may actually log on to my FB account to see some pics of my favorite cousin’s baby, for instance…and comment on political posts from five years ago, just to stir the pot again before logging off for another few years! :devilish:

This year will be 25 years since I graduated HS.

While noticing this, I recall the time they tried organizing a 10 year reunion...and it failed.
Then they tried again at the 20 year mark in 2018, that attempt also failed (according to the one person I graduated with).
If anything, I'd guess the quarter century would be worth celebrating...but probably not.
I checked with the graduating class after mine (1999) and their reunion also didn't materialize.

Is it just me, or were these things more popular with older generations?
Anyone who graduated before 1980 they are very popular. My Dad was a teacher between 1964 and 1997 and he gets invited all the time to these things from the 60's and 70's graduating classes. My school was real bad, they had a 5 year and 10 year reunion where only certain people were invited. Then they tried to invite everyone to the 20th event and it was a dud, the 30th was even worse.

Nowadys you see reunions where they combine classes.

This year will be 25 years since I graduated HS.

While noticing this, I recall the time they tried organizing a 10 year reunion...and it failed.
Then they tried again at the 20 year mark in 2018, that attempt also failed (according to the one person I graduated with).
If anything, I'd guess the quarter century would be worth celebrating...but probably not.
I checked with the graduating class after mine (1999) and their reunion also didn't materialize.

Is it just me, or were these things more popular with older generations?
My class has had similar issues with reunions. Some worked, early on. Others failed. At this stage of my life, I have zero interest.

This year will be my 30 year HS reunion. Hope I can make it. I was at the 20th and it was pretty cool.

Now that I know you’re somewhat sociable, I have to admit that I’ve lost a little bit of respect for you. Around here, you either hate most people or you keep you lips shut! This is the way :geek:

Ive been to both of mine so far. Glad I went. First was a bit more fun, second was a bit more interesting….

My parents have gone to some but not all as I recall, and one of my parents is very close to where they graduated, so it’s not like a need to travel thing…

Maybe some feel like because of Facebook and whatever, there is less need. I think it’s nice all the same…

My class was about 80 or 90 students… and my wife knows more people in my class than I do 😅 Only really kept in touch with 2 of them.

I have struggled on and off, mostly on, with mental health problems since middle school. High school was a really bad time for me. Don't think I'd ever want to go to a reunion.

Graduated in 99 & haven't gone to any. The 20yr looked like about 50 people showed up to a casual gathering at a brewery

Modern generations seem to move far away for school and career opportunities, romance, or politics more than prior generations it would seem. Combine that with social media like FB has significantly impacted the desire/need to gather with people you really don't feel like really making an effort to talk to or see in person. Pretty much seems to kill reunions IMO.

I wasn't planning to go to the 10 year, living 2000 miles away, but was unexpectedly home for sudden funeral so I did go. About 1/3rd of my classmates showed and it was nice to see some folks, but underwhelming. They barely put effort into trying to organize the 30 year a while back, and I didn't bother going due to distance and no interest. I did see a picture of the group, maybe 10% showed up. I know a lot of my classmates scattered all over the country and even 1 lives abroad now, so odds of them showing are nil. I've kept in touch with the few people I care about. Most have made zero effort to keep in touch with me and my efforts ignored, so I stopped caring as well. I think social media has shown the light into several others to make me not really like who they turned out to be, as well, so I really don't need to hang out with people with radically weird views.

Another part for me is I don't particularly like going back to my home town for some painful nostalgic reasons because my parent died there entirely too young and it still stings, and an important painful failed HS romance that I just prefer to not go back. I overall liked my town and had a very positive youth there though my early 20s until I moved away. It's just difficult going back sometimes, a bit depressing. I haven't been back in over a decade with no plans to.

It is a weird thing, you spend 1/3rd of your life for about a dozen years with these people from K-12, sports, activities, extra-curricular, class trips, etc., then graduate and move on, and basically stop caring whatsoever about them. Sorta like being in the military too, you build these incredible momentary bonds and then go separate ways and it's uncommon to stay connected at all.

ETA: If I really thought about it and wanted it to be somewhat successful, I'd probably generate interest in about 3 classes before and after my graduation year to get maximum participation. There were probably people a grade or 2 ahead and behind that I'd be curious to see. I don't care, but for anyone planning on organizing a reunion that's just a thought. For instance, the classes of 2002-2006 could have their 20-ish reunion this summer. Would give people opportunity to mingle with a larger group of classmates who went thru the halls about the same time and knew of each other.

Last edited:
We had a 10 year reunion in 2012 just had our 20 year reunion last year. I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not but I actually really enjoyed both of them. Some people never change but then again some do. There were a number of people that I really didn't care for in high school that actually turned out to be much nicer than I had anticipated.

graduated in 73 i get noticed every 5 years for the next reunion, never did go to any, think they would get the message by now.. the people that organize the reunions never wanted anything to do with me and the bunch i hung around with so why the change of heart.

Shame on me, but I have no interest in going to mine. Meanwhile, my parents are on the committee of theirs. Lol.

I am only friends with 1 person from my graduating class/ high school. Our 5 year failed because nobody could agree on anything, our 10 year in 2020 was obviously canceled and in 2021 (because of 2020 events), Class of 2010 and 2011’s reunion was combined.

“ Hey there’s sickness. Let’s get with even more people.” Made zero sense to me. I didn’t go for my own reasons, but their logic just made me laugh.

I went to one. The cliques were still evident. I wasn't a member however I do still occasionally like to go back to that time and hang out with some of my 'national' classmates. Hard to imagine they're mostly greyhaired grandparents now.

My class of ‘94 had a 10 year which I didn’t attend since I lived in CA. I heard hardly anyone attended, and we haven’t had one since. Most people move away from home now, far away. That may be why we never had another reunion.

Now that I know you’re somewhat sociable, I have to admit that I’ve lost a little bit of respect for you. Around here, you either hate most people or you keep you lips shut! This is the way :geek:
Lol. People on here do take pride is being misanthropic.

Back