High school class reunions

Status
Not open for further replies.
next year will be 30 years since I graduated. No idea if anything is planned.
My 5 year was on my wedding day, so of course I did not go. My best man did though. He said it was lame. I heard about a 10 year reunion, but never got any details.
Who knows, maybe something is planned on facebook, but since I am not on it...

Only 4 people I want to know about from high school I know about. One died, one moved back to Canada, one is (was?) a pilot for Korean Airlines (have not heard from him in 10 years or so), and the other one (my best man) lives in Austin.
Of the other 500+ in my class, I have actually run into a few around town (not the same area where school was, but only 35 miles away and a popular place to live), but otherwise, not interested.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I've been to my 20th a few years back and had a good time. The one big thing was realizing just how many of my classmates are no longer alive.

They had a memoriam of those who had passed...most of them I knew about, a few I didn't...there were about 12 who are no longer with us...sad....

I was really pleased with the response from the gals in my class...I wasn't popular with the gals in high school, but they all seemed to be very interested in me now...even the gals who wouldn't have given me the time of day in high school! It only took me 40 years to become one of the popular ones! Lol!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Not been, no plans to go. Was a late bloomer, little bit nerdy. University (Big Ten conference) was where I hit my pace. College away from home was a blast, best 5 yrs of my life. Wish I could do it again.

Same, but instead of 5 years 3.5 for me
smile.gif

Good job on that !! I changed majors is what took me an extra year to graduate.

I went to my 25th in PA in 1994, and it was a good time. I got a chuckle out of the jealous husbands when I talked to a few classmates who were their wives. My 50th is in three years and I'll likely attend. Already retired for 11 years now, that 50th may be a little strange.

I was asked to NOT to attend my 10yr reunion because I had been to Vietnam and my warrior persona was not appreciated. I have been invited since but I have not gone even though an apology was extended.
Forgive yes, forget NO

Smoky

Mine's coming up in a couple years and since the people I knew very well in HS were my best friends so why bother.

I made much better friends working construction than at school. No dealing with cliques, trends, popularity, etc.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
I was asked to NOT to attend my 10yr reunion because I had been to Vietnam and my warrior persona was not appreciated. I have been invited since but I have not gone even though an apology was extended.
Forgive yes, forget NO

Smoky
The Vietnam war vets did not deserve the harsh treatment they got for their homecoming and I hope they have been treated with more respect of late. Uniformed military never pay when I see them at a restaurant. The least I can do to try a make amends for a time those of my age want to forget. We appreciate your putting on the uniform sir.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Mine's coming up in a couple years and since the people I knew very well in HS were my best friends so why bother.

I made much better friends working construction than at school. No dealing with cliques, trends, popularity, etc.

All that ended. The nice thing is that (at my age) we all have similar good values. Through it I made several good friendships.

haven't attended any of our 3 reunions over the last 31 yrs...but I do enjoy looking at the photos that were taken of the events...many of the people don't resemble my old classmates but rather they look like someone who ATE my former classmates!

and some of the very nice looking girls?...I'd rather remember them as the cute 18 yr olds they once were rather than the 'lunch lady' looking 50 yr olds they have become!

Originally Posted By: iahawk
haven't attended any of our 3 reunions over the last 31 yrs...but I do enjoy looking at the photos that were taken of the events...many of the people don't resemble my old classmates but rather they look like someone who ATE my former classmates!

and some of the very nice looking girls?...I'd rather remember them as the cute 18 yr olds they once were rather than the 'lunch lady' looking 50 yr olds they have become!

We had one gal at the reunion who was the desire of every guy in high school...to say she was hot is an understatement...now she's probably 300 lbs! Nobody at the reunion even recognized her...I guess I just don't understand how they can let themselves go like that...

I went to a tiny private school that went belly up a few years after I finished (I graduated high school in 1987). I don't even know if they had reunions. I didn't really hang out with people from my school,I was always with my childhood friends I grew up with which we all lived on the same street and are still friends to this day. The few people at my school I was close to dropped out,disappeared off the face of the earth,and some unfortunately I'd heard passed away.

I was in the middle of a divorce when my 20th happened. Just wasn't in the mood at the time. When the 30th came up three years ago I had no desire at all to go. I have kept in touch with the people of interest to me. I'm not talking about social networking, either. We actually talk and see each other now and then.

I'm sure like you, I missed a lot of reunions due to military duty. Still, over the years I did manage to make it to two. I missed my 40th but hope to go to my 45th.

But the two that I did make it to I greatly enjoyed them. All the drama was long forgotten and buried. After a while, you're only wish is that your friends and classmates have lived a good life. Sadly many have passed, some are in jail, some have squandered their lives, and some are just plain wrecks. But it's great to see some have done well.

I think that is about the most contact I want with most people I knew in high school. After about 20 minutes, I realize so many of them are trying so hard to recapture the past. Good times.

Originally Posted By: grampi

We had one gal at the reunion who was the desire of every guy in high school...to say she was hot is an understatement...now she's probably 300 lbs! Nobody at the reunion even recognized her...I guess I just don't understand how they can let themselves go like that...

90% of 60+ yo womenare 180+ pounds.

There was a girl at our reunion who looks like she did 50 years ago, And she was maybe the third prettiest in our class of 151. She married "well" and has had work...lol

We had the first high school reunion now in January after 35 years. Unfortunately I ended up in the hospital earlier that same week and missed said reunion. Saw lots of photos of all those old friends and was very disappointed to miss the event. Despite the number of years passed some of these 50+ ladies looked quite hot still. Could be also because of my medication.
grin.gif

It's strange how hung up some of you older guys are on the general appearance and lack of fitness of your former classmates and friends. If you're that shallow, I'm guessing they aren't missing you anyway if you don't go. Everyone wins!

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
It's strange how hung up some of you older guys are on the general appearance and lack of fitness of your former classmates and friends. If you're that shallow, I'm guessing they aren't missing you anyway if you don't go. Everyone wins!

Or maybe we just care about them and would like to see them still being around for the next reunion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back