High school class reunions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you been to any recently? We just had our 40th this past weekend and it was a ball! Being the first class reunion I've been to, I got to see a lot of people I haven't seen since we graduated. It's amazing how some of them haven't changed a bit, while others have changed so much I didn't even recognize them. I guess 40 years will do that to a person. The thing that made my night was one of the gals who was one the most popular gals in school (and she's still hot!)came up to me, gave me a big hug and said "you're not the skinny, awkward, pimply-faced kid your were in high school anymore, are you?" I can't wait for the next one!

I've been to my 20th a few years back and had a good time. The one big thing was realizing just how many of my classmates are no longer alive.

No, and I have no intention of going. I've gotten over any petty disagreements; my refusal would be a) the distance to travel, b) the cost, and c) I haven't talked to any of these people in two decades. We've all moved on. Or at least I have.

Glad though you had fun.

I saw they were planning our 10th on FB. There were people talking about having it at someones house. Then someone else suggested someone else's house.
Im like what?
I already knew I wasn't going to go, but if they do that, there is no way. Im sure the owners would love to brag about their mansion.
Luckly I was so under the radar during school that I don't think anyone remembers me, so I haven't been invited yet. If they get their head on straight and have it at somewhere, like, the High School, I might show up in my furry suit for a few minutes. Just hang out in it until they kick me out.

I graduated high school 10 years ago and we didn't have one. Not that I would have went, I talk to zero people from high school.

Social media allows people to keep in contact with each other.

I know social media makes it easy to keep in touch despite long distances; but I wonder if more people really stay in touch than before. I don't do social media* and I don't stay in touch with people I went to school with; if I lived in their area I might stay in touch.

[*Went out to dinner and a friend explained the hashtag thing to a few of us Luddites. Another friend leaned over and observed "You're not into social media, are you." To which my wife quipped "Why would he? he's not social."]

Not been, no plans to go. Was a late bloomer, little bit nerdy. University (Big Ten conference) was where I hit my pace. College away from home was a blast, best 5 yrs of my life. Wish I could do it again.

Glad to hear you had a great time! Always a great time socializing with those you grew up with
laugh.gif

I didn't really get to know those I graduated with (mostly because the first two years I spent at another high school). By the time I got to the new school, most social groups had been established so I resorted to becoming a social "floater". Not really fitting in anywhere, not an outcast either.

I would go, but the only people I graduated with who were closer to me were ex girlfiends....and I have no need to ever speak with either of them. Last I'd seen on FB they squeezed out a couple of puppies and now are big as houses.

...no thanks, I'll pass
smile.gif

i've been out of school 18 years, haven't been to a single reunion. I didn't even find out about the last one until the day before, and then only because a co worker was dating one of my classmates.

they do all the planning on facebook.
I refuse to use facebook.
I see some of these people regularly, I work at a local grocery store.

Our 50th was 3 or 4 years ago, but I didn't attend. Our class was small enough that I still know a lot of the folks (those who are still alive).

I wasn't planning to go to my 10-year reunion but was talked into it by a friend, who would up bailing. Didn't see anyone I wanted to see. Skipped the 20-year reunion due to a wedding the same night, and I haven't heard about any reunions since.

I'm in touch with anyone who I wanted to stay in touch with after high school so I don't really feel any need to attend any reunions.

The 10 year and 20 year reunions were fun. It's always nice to catch up with people you haven't seen in forever and see how they've changed.

Only problems with reunions are, 1) certain person/people you really hoped would be there didn't show, and 2) certain person/people you completely forgot about or never wanted to see again always show. But that's what makes them interesting!

Went to my 25th 8 years ago. Didn't make it to my 30th as we were traveling, but saw the pictures. Went to oilBabe's 30th a few weeks ago. (I tell everyone she graduated high school when she was 6) and we had the same comments.

I saw my classmates in the 30th reunion facebook photos and saw oilBabe's up close. Those who lived hard, lots of drinking and smoking looked like they could be the parents of those who didn't live as hard.

I'm 3 years OLDER than oilBabe and many of her classmates thought she married a younger man.

While some are born with genetics that may make them seem to age faster, it seems the real culprit is the choices people make.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Have you been to any recently? We just had our 40th this past weekend and it was a ball! Being the first class reunion I've been to, I got to see a lot of people I haven't seen since we graduated. It's amazing how some of them haven't changed a bit, while others have changed so much I didn't even recognize them. I guess 40 years will do that to a person. The thing that made my night was one of the gals who was one the most popular gals in school (and she's still hot!)came up to me, gave me a big hug and said "you're not the skinny, awkward, pimply-faced kid your were in high school anymore, are you?" I can't wait for the next one!

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Not been, no plans to go. Was a late bloomer, little bit nerdy. University (Big Ten conference) was where I hit my pace. College away from home was a blast, best 5 yrs of my life. Wish I could do it again.

Same, but instead of 5 years 3.5 for me
smile.gif

I would like to go to mine just to see what those old f***s look like.
grin2.gif

Every previous time they had one I was either travelling or going to school.

I did go to MsMolaKule's grad party last year. Had a blast.

Quote:
[*Went out to dinner and a friend explained the hashtag thing to a few of us Luddites. Another friend leaned over and observed "You're not into social media, are you." To which my wife quipped "Why would he? he's not social."]

Now THAT is funny.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
I attended my 10th. Everybody still looked about the same, with different hairstyles and better clothes than in HS. At my 20th, everybody's looks were starting to go; a lot more weight on everybody, less hair on the guys. Since I wasn't close to most of my HS classmates -- with only a few exceptions -- the two reunions were not that big a deal for me. Don't get me wrong: I enjoyed HS enormously, did well academically, dated and had plenty of activities. But my fun activities, e.g., the Drama Club, were not everybody's idea of fun activities. So there were a lot of classmates I had little in common with.

I was still living in CO at the time of the 30th, if there was such a thing, and I didn't hear about a 40th. The notion of seeing what most of my classmates now look like after half a century, well, let's say it's not enticing. (Of course, I look as if, in 1975, I stepped into a stasis field in which no time passes. That's my story, anyway, and I'm sticking to it.)

Never been to a single one. Graduated 35 years ago and in all honesty I hate high school. I was shy, not a "cool" person in school, and had maybe two dates that were a disaster.

Not my thing...but I did see some photos of a recent reunion. Funny....they all looked like fat, lazy, slobs now. Maybe one out of ten looked healthy. I guess the rolls have changed.

Not enough still living after sixty years to hold a reunion.Didn't really know many then and the ones I did associate with are dead, starting in 1970 for me. I'm sure some died before 1970 but that marks the year the ones I did know started to die."I'll say to them, Lost years sleep on,Sleep on, Heed life's pelting storm."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back