High School Reunions - Generational thing?

We had a 10-year reunion.... I didn't go, but they did invite me via a post card ahead of time. Same with the 20th; I got a post card ahead of time, as did my parents and my brother, all of them addressed to me.

For the 30th, not a peep. No post card(s). Months went by, and eventually I got curious so I looked up "Xxxxxx H.S. 30th Reunion" on the Google and it led me to the official Facebook page for the reunion. I missed it by ONE WEEK. But good for them for saving the postage by putting it on Facebook only.

I went to my 20th class reunion and enjoyed myself. But we never had another one after that and this year is the 50th and there is nothing planned.
I'm a bit saddened by that but then again our class was known for its general apathy towards any establishment activities.

However there are informal reunions held almost every year. They include students from two different high schools in town and from among three different graduation years. Most of us knew each other from Jr. High and depending upon where you lived you went to one high school or another and we had older or younger brothers or sisters who all knew each other too. And everyone remained friends all these years. Maybe 100 people or so will show up at some restaurant where a banquet room has been booked and everyone will catch up.

The only bad thing is now that everyone is in their late 60's the list of those who have passed away gets bigger each year.

I graduated in 2001. I went to my 10 year but was too tired to go to my 20 year. Unfortunately everything was planned through Facebook,and I don't have Facebook. If it wasn't for a close friend of mine I'd never known it was even happening.

I skipped my 10 year in 2019 with no desire to go other than to see how the highschool hotties look 10 years post-grad.

This year will be 25 years since I graduated HS.

While noticing this, I recall the time they tried organizing a 10 year reunion...and it failed.
Then they tried again at the 20 year mark in 2018, that attempt also failed (according to the one person I graduated with).
If anything, I'd guess the quarter century would be worth celebrating...but probably not.
I checked with the graduating class after mine (1999) and their reunion also didn't materialize.

Is it just me, or were these things more popular with older generations?
Class of '98 as well. No idea if it is generational or not, but I haven't heard anything materializing.
But, I also have zero interest in attending any reunion. I didn't enjoy those people then, so I certainly wouldn't now.

For me they are a waste of time, I’m not interested in what classmates are doing 10…. 20….. 30 years after graduation.

Class of '98 as well. No idea if it is generational or not, but I haven't heard anything materializing.
But, I also have zero interest in attending any reunion. I didn't enjoy those people then, so I certainly wouldn't now.
Class of 98 also. Someone called mom once asking for my address to send a invitation but never got one. Haven't heard of anything since. Doesn't surprise me with the class gov our senior year, they thought they were pretty hot stuff surprise surprise they weren't. My dad graduated in 56 and has been to several, mom never has. They wanted like $35 a plate last time so dad quit going.

I graduated in '71 and my wife in '73. My class had a 25th, which was a great time. Our 50th was canceled because of Covid.

Sue's school has one every 10 years, including her upcoming 50th this September. I've gone to all of hers and always have a good time. Our high schools are only about 6 or 7 miles apart so I was good friends with some of her classmates.

At her 40th a funny thing happened. Her high school boyfriend was there (he's a good guy and we like each other), along with his two children, who were there pouring wine. When Sue introduced herself to his kids she shook their hands and said, "Hi, I'm Sue. I was your Dad's first girlfriend", the innuendo obvious. The looks on their faces and the laughter that followed was absolutely hilarious.

Scott

Never went to the high school reunions. All my friends from back them are out of state and I just don't have the interest in seeing strangers from another lifetime.

College reunions I love to attend. My alma mater opens the door to everyone. I love seeing old and young faces enjoying a nice afternoon at a place that gave me so much.

I graduated HS in '77. There have been a few reunions (every 10 years I think) but most of the time I was living a couple states and approximately 500 miles away. I worked construction and often had to work the weekends the reunions were held. I'm living back in the area now and don't know what I'll do when/if we have a 50th reunion. Some of my better friends in HS are dead now. I was told one of my classmates just passed away a couple weeks ago, I don't think I'd seen him since HS. Only HS reunion I've been to was one my wife's class had many years ago and since my wife passed away I won't be attending any more of hers.

No idea--I decided long ago I wasn't going back. I think initially I held some grudges, now I wouldn't mind knowing how some made out in life, but honestly, I moved on--and so did they. I've not kept touch with anyone from grade or high school, nor college.

I feel a bit sad at times, but, life moves on.

Now maybe if I had kept in touch with a number of them, and hadn't moved miles away, maybe I'd feel different, dunno.
Appreciate the unbridled honesty here.
I was the opposite, like the OP's situation our's didn't materialize either, but I've stayed in touch with a handful of peeps from way back when.

HS class of 1969. Class of a tad over 300. I'm certain that reunions have been held every 5 years since. The only ones I attended were the 20th, the formal dinner party part. Enjoyed that, but not a lot of people that I had known well were there. Interesting to see how far some had come. One especially intelligent woman was a Navy Captain. Another that had dropped out in 10th grade owned a software company. Next for me was part of the 25th reunion. Just the classmates only drink social the night before. Had a fine time chatting with a few. Surprising how much the old distancing cliques were still in play. The next one I did was our 50th in 2019. I only attended the dinner party and the organizers did a great job. I think we had about 75 classmates and many spouses. It was strange for me, as only one person out of about 20-25 people I was hoping to see was there. Including several that I keep in touch with. I had a hard time trying to engage anyone in conversation. At age 68, some looked surprising well and others looked 10 years older. The memorial board showed quite a few that passed since 1969. A number were gone pretty quickly with Vietnam, vehicle wrecks, murdered, drugs, and then delayed Agent Orange deaths. Some went shortly before the reunion and since then.

There were casual plans to not wait for the 55th and perhaps do one earlier. The pandemic nixed that, I'm sure. If the same group of 6 or 7 women do all the heavy lifting, I imagine that there will be one in 2024. I seriously doubt that I'll be going, assuming I'm still around. For you younger folks, I recommend that you do at least one if you can. Maybe the 20th or 25th.

I never did any college reunions as I never really felt a part of my year's graduation class. After going back to college after military and working most of the time I was piece meal of several classes. All the people I knew well graduated one to three years before me and mostly scattered.

It's been over 40 years since I graduated . A couple of girls have been organizing reunions for a while . Too often if you ask me but they seem to be well attended . I have zero interest and have never been , but I see postings on Facebook about them .

I have an aunt who's now pushing 80 and she's nutty about HS reunions.

She attended 3 different high schools in 4 years and generally goes/went to every single one of them. It use to be extra frustrating to my mom because this particular aunt lived across the country(Washington State and then Las Vegas), often didn't have two pennies to rub together, and somehow my mom would get roped into picking her up/taking her to the airport in either Lexington or Louisville KY then driving her a good ways(Elizabethtown) to get to them while often also giving her money for meals, etc and then just being expected to show back up a few days later to get her back to the airport.

I've never known my mom to go to a reunion. My dad went to his 40th or 50th-don't remember which-and enjoyed himself but if he and my mom had otherwise had plans then I doubt he'd have bothered. He stays in touch with the high school friends he cares to.

For me-my 10 year happened back in 2016. It's mostly organized through Facebook, and I did appreciate that a friend of mine reached out to me and made sure I knew about it about it since I wasn't on Facebook at the time. I considered going but honestly, again, the people I really cared to see I was still in touch with anyway and most of my HS friends were either a year ahead or behind me. I heard it was decently well attended. I may go to the 20 year if they have it and the timing works out, but that remains to be seen.

I'd be much more interested in going to a college reunion, but I'm not aware of any formal one that's happened. There are often informal ones(especially 10 year marks) at homecoming, which my college really DOES make about the alumni and also makes the whole weekend very family friendly. My wife and I went to a few homecoming events this past year as the timing worked out(we were in town anyway) and she both enjoyed herself and I did meet up with a few friends. I actually much prefer that approach as I could see anyone I was there with, not just the people in my year.

Never been to a single reunion. Don't plan to. My brother on the other hand has been to all or most of them. He still does things with H.S friends.

Back