High Mileage 5.7 HEMI V-8's ??

We've all heard about the supposed issues these engines have been through, and have. How about those of you that have racked up some impressive mileage figures with them? Let's hear from the HEMI high mileage crowd. Mine doesn't qualify. Thus far it only has 17,000 miles. Barely broken in. How about you?

Also, what OCI's are you running, and what brand and weight oil?

2016 RAM 1500 5.7L HEMI - 45K miles. Ours ran on Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 for most of its life with 5K to 7K OCIs. This oil is easy to find and performs great in the HEMI. We're also using the bigger oil filters like Purolator PBL24651, or FRAM XG2 or FS2. I also attach 20 small neodymium magnets to the oil filter in a matrix just in case. Lastly, I use a magnetic drain plug for the oil pan: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SMPN7B3/.

I also changed the air filter box with the one from the 3.0 EcoDiesel and it feels like it's got a bit more low end torque now, but I don't have any dyno numbers.

It's been great so far.

I am biased towards Mobil 1 and HPL lubricants because both of these contain expensive materials and are very good at cleaning and keeping engines clean. HPL even more so than Mobil 1.

Currently at ~52,000. Owned since 8800.

Pennzoil Platinum 5w20, Fram Ultra Filters, following the OLM.

Still young.

Last edited:
2016 RAM 1500 5.7L HEMI - 45K miles. Ours ran on Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 for most of its life with 5K to 7K OCIs. This oil is easy to find and performs great in the HEMI. We're also using the bigger oil filters like Purolator PBL24651, or FRAM XG2 or FS2. I also attach 20 small neodymium magnets to the oil filter in a matrix just in case. Lastly, I use a magnetic drain plug for the oil pan: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SMPN7B3/.

I also changed the air filter box with the one from the 3.0 EcoDiesel and it feels like it's got a bit more low end torque now, but I don't have any dyno numbers.

It's been great so far.

I am biased towards Mobil 1 and HPL lubricants because both of these contain expensive materials and are very good at cleaning and keeping engines clean. HPL even more so than Mobil 1.

Where are you located?

Im looking for another oil to try in my Hemi. Cant find Rotella Gas/Truck locally anymore (nor the T6 equivalent), reading on these forums vs the RAM forum makes my head spin...its like total opposites, but the gigantic RAM forum thread is turning into marketing lol

I have a friend who has a 2003 4wd 1500 Hemi with over 400k. The engine has had only normal maintenance. Other than a front suspension rebuild at about 300k the truck has had no major repairs that I am aware of. He bought a new Hemi Ram in 2021 but H rarely drives it, he loves the 2003.

I’m closing in on 36k miles m on my 2019 Ram. My buddy has 249k miles on his 2013 Durango, though his did eat a lifter… repair was covered by his lifetime Mopar Maxcare warranty. Caught early enough to not trash the block and heads.

I’ve used Pennzoil, Valvoline, and now I’m sticking with HPL in my Ram, first oil change at 5k the rest have been ~8,000~9,000 miles. He has ran exclusively Mobil 1 5w20 on a 5k mile interval since buying it new.

My 2015 Ram 1500 has 121k miles. I've owned it since July 2021 when it had 92k on the odometer. It's been mostly trouble-free (knock on wood). Had to change the water pump last year. I have not noticed any ticking noises from the valvetrain.

I've been using Red Line 0W-20 for the last 18 months. I had a UOA done at the last change, after putting 19k miles on the oil: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...5-7l-hemi-red-line-0w-20-19-000-miles.361745/

My 2007 Ram Hemi has 223k on it now. I bought it with 182K. It still uses no oil between changes and is very quiet. I use what the first owner used and that is Castrol 5-20 High mileage. I have had no engine problems and I run the Champion Copper plugs. This year I have had the fuel pump die and the spider gears in the differential. It still has no rattles and it runs great and has no rust. When I had the air bag recall the service writers commented how good the 3rd generation Ram held up.

Where are you located?
North Carolina

Im looking for another oil to try in my Hemi.
Mobil 1 EP 5W-20 or 5W-30, Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, all good oils, you can find any of them at Walmart. If you want something that's truly beefy and in every way better than the "mythical" Red Line 5W-30 that RamForum talks about, then HPL NO-VII 5W-30 Euro is what you want. It's not cheap though, but it's worth the money. I'm running it in my 2022 Dodge Durango.

Cant find Rotella Gas/Truck locally anymore
Rotella Gas Truck was just rebottled Quaker State Synthetic. Just buy QS FS and you'll get the same thing.

nor the T6 equivalent
Rotella T6 5W-30 is not what you really want in a daily driven HEMI. It's a Diesel oil that also works in Gas engines.

reading on these forums vs the RAM forum makes my head spin...its like total opposites
A lot of bad information is being perpetuated on RamForum, and some of the moderators are complicit. Like for example that the HEMI has a lubrication flaw, and that you need to run Red Line 5W-30 to keep your HEMI in good shape. All a bunch of nonsense. @OVERKILL explained it best just the other night, when he posted a diagram of a lifter and how it gets oil: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...-deactivation-well.365056/page-3#post-6384224

That's a separate passage. But it's important to note that the MDS lifters are reverse oiled from the adjacent cylinder because they are an inverted "lifter inside a lifter", so they don't have the same conventional oil path because the MDS pin assembly is in the way, so the inverted lifter is "pumped up" by the adjacent conventional lifter.

This diagram shows that, but it also shows the hole I mentioned where oil could, through the traditional oil band, make its way onto the roller IF that hole is present. However, the pictures I've seen have not been consistent with the presence of this hole, so I'm hesitant to state, definitively, that this is also a way the roller is oiled, while we do know for sure that excess oil coming off the body is definitely going onto the pins and roller.
mds-lifter-breakdown-jpg.139485

Pay attention to the lifter neck, right before the roller. There is an oiling hole. When you fire up the engine in the morning, each lifter gets pressurized oil. So no, you don't need to run Red Line to "help" your lifters. Unfortunately, for some bizarre reason, anyone who dared to try to educate the people on RamForum on how to maintain a HEMI and how lubrication works in that engine got banned eventually. IMHO they allow for misinformation to continue to get more content and attract people who search for the HEMI tick.

The bottom line with the HEMI is this: Run whatever oil you like in it, within reason (don't go for 15W-50 unless you're trying to cross the Sahara or something). Perform a reasonable OCI and use a reputable oil filter. That's all there is to it. And please, be as picky as you like. ;)

The bottom line with the HEMI is this: Run whatever oil you like in it, within reason (don't go for 15W-50 unless you're trying to cross the Sahara or something). Perform a reasonable OCI and use a reputable oil filter. That's all there is to it. And please, be as picky as you like. ;)
So you would have no problem running 5W-30 in a 2015 HEMI in hot weather? It's not going to throw any codes, and my neighbors won't call the cops??

So you would have no problem running 5W-30 in a 2015 HEMI in hot weather? It's not going to throw any codes, and my neighbors won't call the cops??
Currently we got AMSOIL SS 5W-30 in the HEMI. I just wanted to give it a try, since I'm running a 180F thermostat in it, I wanted a slightly thinner oil than 0W-40. I doubt it performs any better than Mobil 1 EP 5W-30, so don't read too much into it.

In Arizona you can safely run 0W-40 year-round. Especially since there isn't that much difference between "Resource Conserving" 5W-20 and 5W-30. Arizona summers are brutal, so that extra viscosity and ZDDP, and the Boron based multi functional additives (they're also friction reducers) will keep your HEMI running silky smooth. Now, if you insist on 5W-30 vs. 0W-40, then run it with confidence. It will not set any codes and your neighbors won't call the cops. 😂

My father had a 2013 GC with the 5.7L that was pretty much flawless until 200k (199k and change) when it started misfiring and had a tick (lifter failure). He drove it hard, but insisted on having me change it using the OLM (10,000 miles or so). I used Castrol 0w40 for most of its life (he bought it brand new).

He now has a 2020 GC 5.7L hemi with ~44k miles on it (bought used). An engine builder locally who deals with a lot of Hemis insists that running 5w20 and changing at 5-6k mile intervals is the best for the MDS system and lifters. I'm going to try that (currently running Pennzoil Platinum 5w20) and see if there is any difference with this one.

My father had a 2013 GC with the 5.7L that was pretty much flawless until 200k (199k and change) when it started misfiring and had a tick (lifter failure). He drove it hard, but insisted on having me change it using the OLM (10,000 miles or so). I used Castrol 0w40 for most of its life (he bought it brand new).

He now has a 2020 GC 5.7L hemi with ~44k miles on it (bought used). An engine builder locally who deals with a lot of Hemis insists that running 5w20 and changing at 5-6k mile intervals is the best for the MDS system and lifters. I'm going to try that (currently running Pennzoil Platinum 5w20) and see if there is any difference with this one.
That's what I've been running since day 1. (Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20).

I have about107k on my 2010 Commander 5.7. I do oil and filter every 6k, although OLM tends to ding at about 5k. I use 5w30 or mix of 5w30/0w40. It has a mild "tick" but runs strong. MDS is shut off with Diablo tuner. Has had the exhaust manifold bolts break and been through a few water pumps

Our 2019 DT has 73,000km on it now (45,000 miles)
Our 2006 Charger had ~153,000km on it when we traded it on the Durango (95,000 miles)
My 2020 SRT only has 23,000km on it at present (14,300 miles)

At work, we have operated a small fleet of 1500's since ~2011, all have been maintained the same with NAPA (Valvoline) 5W-20 and NAPA filters. I'm missing a couple (the 2012's I believe) from this list, but here's what I have that's current:
- 2011 1500 #1: developed bottom-end knock and was traded at I believe 264,000km (164,000 miles)
- 2011 1500 #2: lifter failure at 266,000km (165,000 miles)
- 2011 1500 #3: 240,000km (150,000 miles)
- 2011 1500 #4: 355,000km (220,600 miles)
- 2014 1500 #1: 125,000km (78,000 miles)
- 2014 1500 #2: 248,000km (154,000 miles)
- 2016 1500 #1: 69,000km (43,000 miles)

Back