High Mileage 5.7 HEMI V-8's ??

HEMI engine oil specs.JPG
This is based on the specs, I was looking at the Mobil1 FS 0W40 we have here.
Mobil 1 specs.JPG
It mentions, Fiat 9.55535-M2 instead of S1/S3. Is this still safe to use?

Currently running Mobil 1 FS 0w40 and the engine sounds smooth. When changing the oil, on initial start-up after the oil change, there was a ticking sound for about 2 seconds. When I heard that, I was like, "NO WAY, looks like only Redline from here on." But that sound has not come back since. The engine sounds just as smooth and quiet as it did with Redline in it. I'm changing the oil more frequently with every 5000kms, so looking out for a good budget option.

Two oils that are readily available in my region right now for ridiculously cheap prices.
Havoline Pro DS 5w30 & Lexus 5w40.
Makes me wonder if they are any good for the 5.7 Hemi V8. I suppose it depends on the additives, but from what I've read on here, that should not be a concern. Or should it be?
My mechanic swears by the Lexus oil. Uses it in all the Japanese cars that come to his shop. Says its really good stuff. I've looked at it and its made in collaboration with Idimitsu Kosan, which make some pretty good oils.

That's the first time I saw that in the manual recommending 5W-30 in place of 5W-20. I'm going to 5W-30 for Summer use in my 5.7 HEMI.
You can use Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 year-round in the HEMI 5.7 without any issues.

If you watch the video bellow you'll understand pretty quickly why FCA has been pushing thinner oils over the past decade. While motor oil is a low hanging fruit, there is only so much lower viscosities can do for fuel economy and carbon emissions before reliability is compromised. Having owned a HEMI for seven years now, I can tell you without a doubt that the only time I've seen 5W-20 make a tiny difference in fuel economy is under light throttle applications / light engine load. So I kept running 0W-40 in it.

I find the tick interesting, because I've owned 6x HEMI's at this point (2x 5.7's, 4x 6.4's) and none of them have ever ticked. In our fleet at work, they ALL ticked after a certain period of time, and on every single one of them, it was the exhaust manifolds, as the studs broke and needed replacement. When that was fixed, they were all quiet again. Amusingly, the one with lifter failure in the list I provided earlier, never ticked.

That's all to say, I absolutely believe the phenomenon exists, but it's relatively rare and I don't believe it has any correlation with the lifter failure issue. Unnerving as you note however? Yes, absolutely.

work/commercial hemis that tow usually last longer than grocery getter 5.7 hemis.

I have a 2016 Ram Limited 4x4 w/air suspension and everything. The absolute best truck I ever had. It still rides, drives and runs and looks like brand new. 128k miles with only 1 issue with broken exhaust studs which was repaired under warranty years ago. I run Mobil 1 or QSUD 5w/30 at approx 6-8k mile intervals with a few sooner and a few later.

Reactions: D60
North Carolina

Mobil 1 EP 5W-20 or 5W-30, Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, all good oils, you can find any of them at Walmart. If you want something that's truly beefy and in every way better than the "mythical" Red Line 5W-30 that RamForum talks about, then HPL NO-VII 5W-30 Euro is what you want. It's not cheap though, but it's worth the money. I'm running it in my 2022 Dodge Durango.

Rotella Gas Truck was just rebottled Quaker State Synthetic. Just buy QS FS and you'll get the same thing.

Rotella T6 5W-30 is not what you really want in a daily driven HEMI. It's a Diesel oil that also works in Gas engines.

A lot of bad information is being perpetuated on RamForum, and some of the moderators are complicit. Like for example that the HEMI has a lubrication flaw, and that you need to run Red Line 5W-30 to keep your HEMI in good shape. All a bunch of nonsense. @OVERKILL explained it best just the other night, when he posted a diagram of a lifter and how it gets oil: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/who-does-cylinder-deactivation-well.365056/page-3#post-6384224

Pay attention to the lifter neck, right before the roller. There is an oiling hole. When you fire up the engine in the morning, each lifter gets pressurized oil. So no, you don't need to run Red Line to "help" your lifters. Unfortunately, for some bizarre reason, anyone who dared to try to educate the people on RamForum on how to maintain a HEMI and how lubrication works in that engine got banned eventually. IMHO they allow for misinformation to continue to get more content and attract people who search for the HEMI tick.

The bottom line with the HEMI is this: Run whatever oil you like in it, within reason (don't go for 15W-50 unless you're trying to cross the Sahara or something). Perform a reasonable OCI and use a reputable oil filter. That's all there is to it. And please, be as picky as you like. ;)

The ram forums and youtube will make you think Dodge/RAM never built a reliable hemi.

With that said ive never come across a mechanic in real life or the forums who have flat out said "its a great engine"

I think the issue with the hemis is that there are better and more reliable standard and heavy duty v8's. Such as the Ford 6.2

But thats comparing a 6.4 Hemi in a 2500/3500 to a 6.2 Ford in an F250/F350

What I have been told is that hemis will, at some point in the engines life is that it will eat cams..

also, dont know how true it is, the cam shift sits a little too high and the engine cant properly lubricate it in idle.

I think the issue with the hemis...
...is that Chrysler/FCA/Stellantis, or whatever they want to call themselves now, did some stupid corner cutting, especially when it comes to substandard cams and lifters. Installing substandard SADI cams (Made in China), and substandard lifters (Made in China) turned these engines into bonified lotteries. No motor oil on God's Green Earth will prevent these sad SADI cams from flacking or the lifters from seizing. Other than that, the HEMIs are pretty solid engines. Running a thicker oil in them improves one odds and cuts down on some wear, but it's by no means a guarantee or even a band aid against low quality OEM parts that passed QA because someone closed their eyes.

Ford and GM, both have similar issues. Right now, the situation is so bad with Ford, that they're replacing the entire long block for 7.3 V8 engines that have cam/lifter issues. RAM 1500 trucks with HEMI engines used to be affordable (cheap), so everyone and their brother got one. That's why there are so many people with no clue about what's going on running their mouths (fingers) on forums, typing nonsense. I'm sure most here remember @burla and his Red Line 5W-30 / Moly coalition of Hemi Tick Warriors... :rolleyes:

Our '12 1500 is approaching 180k. OCI's have been all over the place and I've always used 5W-20 but I think I'd like to step up to 5W-30. I usually use a Motorcraft filter because I keep them in stock for the 4.6/5.4/6.2

Except for a RH exhaust manifold that has leaked forever and its appetite for rear brakes, it's been solid. Oh, and a weird trans limp mode that was cured with extra grounds to engine block and body.

{snip}RAM 1500 trucks with HEMI engines used to be affordable (cheap), so everyone and their brother got one. That's why there are so many people with no clue about what's going on running their mouths (fingers) on forums, typing nonsense. I'm sure most here remember @burla and his Red Line 5W-30 / Moly coalition of Hemi Tick Warriors... :rolleyes:
I agree on the pricing. I don't know about now in the post-face-diaper market but, say, 2010-2018 a Ram 1500 was noticeably less expensive than a similarly equipped F150 -- at least in my experience.

That said, I kinda like the Rams but I always wondered what corners were being cut to knock the price down.

I will say the TIPM strikes me as an engineering fail, although Ford has tried similar things with their GEM (a misnomer if there ever was one!) :)

also, dont know how true it is, the cam shift sits a little too high and the engine cant properly lubricate it in idle.
The cam/rollers are lubricated by excess oil coming off the lifters from the lifter bores, there's no way for rod bearing splash to get on the cam because a huge chunk of the block is in the way.

This issue appears to have emerged when variable cam timing was added to the HEMI, prior HEMI engines, with MDS and without, didn't suffer from it, which throws the theory about there being a design issue component to it, out the window.

Both the lifters and the camshafts were revised (supplier likely changed) around this time and my impression is that quality took a nosedive. The SADI camshafts can be an issue all by themselves, but the primary failure mode tends to be a lifter packing it in. In both instances, the problem is improper hardening, which both the SADI cams and the roller lifters depend on. The lifter pin and roller are both surface hardened, as are the camshaft lobes.

According to our resident FCA tech, @TeamZero, the pin or the roller heat treating is defective on the ones that fail, and is subsequently breached at some point. Once that happens, the surface starts to wear and eventually a small "ditch" forms in either the pin or the roller. Once the ditch gets large enough, the needles eventually pile-up and the roller stops rolling, rapidly wearing away the camshaft lobe, whose surface hardening is also rapidly breached by the roller sliding, rather than rolling, on it.

We have also seen some examples of improper surface hardening on the SADI cores and pitting happening, but the rollers are still rolling at that juncture. This seems to be less prevalent.

Issues with both roller lifters and SADI camshafts are not exclusive to the HEMI. The Pentastar has had similar camshaft and roller issues, despite being DOHC, and Honda has had SADI camshafts failing in the same manner. GM uses billet cores, but lifter failure with the AFM engines is even more prevalent than with the HEMI. As @Rod Knock noted, Ford is also having lifter failures on the 7.3L. All of this is likely the result of these components being offshored, as during the 80's, 90's and early 2000's, roller lifters and camshafts were "lifetime" components that never failed.

Back