Here we go again...DST

When we spring forward an hour tonight, leave it there! I can’t stand how dark it is by 4:30pm during the winter months. For people that get home from work at 5-5:30 in the evening it’s already night time. I want as much day light later in the day as I can get. In the summer I can start mowing my lawn at 7pm. Get done with everything by 9:30. It’s still light enough to see fine. Of course that’s summer. But when it gets dark earlier in winter, why make it worse?

When we spring forward an hour tonight, leave it there! I can’t stand how dark it is by 4:30pm during the winter months. For people that get home from work at 5-5:30 in the evening it’s already night time. I want as much day light later in the day as I can get. In the summer I can start mowing my lawn at 7pm. Get done with everything by 9:30. It’s still light enough to see fine. Of course that’s summer. But when it gets dark earlier in winter, why make it worse?
....because in winter the sun won't rise until close to 9:00am in some places. They tried it in the 1974, it only lasted 8 months.

The current system is pretty close to a good balance.

There was a Senate Bill that proposed making DST permanent. It died in the House of Representatives. The bill has been revived recently, lets see if it can be passed by Congress prior to the November change back to standard time.

By the way, half the articles trying to write on this topic are describing it as the elimination of DST. Not sure what they are thinking. Having spoken to a number of rather intelligent folks, that is a common misconception among many.

To be clear, DST is never going away, standard time and the switch overs between the two may if this bill ends up being passed.

It has been going on for all of our lives so I would think everyone would be used to it now.

I never know what time it is since I deal with 24hr and east and central time. My line schedule never holds anyways so another hour isn’t a big deal.

Just go by your circadian rhythms and ignore what the government solons dictate. Otherwise move to the equator.

rhythm.png

My vote is for Standard time year round....
I'd recommend that you vote on pen and paper and not on the machine. I believe parts of Arizona and maybe Hawaii don't change at all ever. Honorable mention goes to the Providence of Labrador and Newfoundland who have a 30 minute forward time of Atlantic time! I just love the sound of I'm on Newfie time.

Reactions: hrv
Split the difference and leave it there. IOW tomorrow jump forward 30 minutes and then leave it, or jump one hour, then jump back 30 minutes in the fall and leave it. That would really mess people up.

Changing is really silly in 2023.

My fancy digital clock thought last Sunday was DST change. Ugg, but OK tomorrow.

Back