Here we go again...DST

Exactly. Time change is about keeping the sun in the middle of our day.

I suspect many will regret the change once/if it finally happens but by then we won't be going back.

Think carefully what you guys are wishing for.
So today, it's like I flew east by 1 time zone, I'll be off for a day or two with the feeling of needing 1 more of sleep then back to normal. In the fall, it's like flying west 1 time zone where the clock lets you sleep an extra hour. 1 day per time zone is the general rule of thumb when you travel and folks needing weeks to get used to this....how? It actually makes no difference to me if this goes away or we keep it or we adopted DST or standard....I can't believe folks get really worked up about it. I spent 5 minutes adjusting the few clocks in the house that require it. I get the purpose - try to align our clocks with the most day light in the useable portion of the day. There will be some buyer's remorse with it eliminated I think...."what do you mean it's still dark at 9am?" 🤣

335006206_714554460367871_2604007039401125707_n.jpg

....because in winter the sun won't rise until close to 9:00am in some places. They tried it in the 1974, it only lasted 8 months.

The current system is pretty close to a good balance.
Yep. First 16 years of my life we didn't do DST. In 1967 that changed. Then in '74 they changed it to year round DST to "save energy". People complained so much they changed it back to what it is today. Either way is fine with me just leave it set on DST or Standard time.

BTW this is the second time change my "radio controlled clock" didn't change. And yes the switch on the back is set to DST. Only have 11 more clocks and light timers to set. Pain in the arse! One time standard or the other, PLEASE.

An hour of sleep is only lost if you had church, a scheduled early event or a job to go to Sunday morning.

I find it sooooo funny the things we complain about and want the people we pay $275,000 a year each
in total costs with their staff to work on *LOL*
What a rough life we all have~

I didnt even know it was DST until this thread!!! Just checked the clock in the kitchen, sun of a gun!

Sometimes laziness and waiting results in problems resolving themselves or just going away. My work truck clock that I never adjusted from last autumn is now correct!

They have measured statistical increases in car accidents and heart attacks, and decreases in productivity in job where such can be measured.

So I guess that is coincidence?

Yes that's the typical stat that gets tossed out there by proponents of fixed time, but it's a load of hooey.

I mean if you're going to have a heart attack in 2 weeks, maybe getting out of bed an hour early will trigger you a little quicker. If you weren't going to have a heart attack anytime soon, getting out of bed an hour early won't kill you.

How the heck did our ancestors survive, it's a miracle. Imagine complaining to them that getting up an hour early might trigger a heart attack. You'd probably kill them right then because they can't stop laughing.

As for the accidents, nice, let me guess you also trot that out around new years eve and july fourth celebrations and politely tell everyone to stay home, go to bed on time, eat your salad etc etc. Because if you don't, and you support partying at night etc, then your position is logically inconsistent.

Yes that's the typical stat that gets tossed out there by proponents of fixed time, but it's a load of hooey.

I mean if you're going to have a heart attack in 2 weeks, maybe getting out of bed an hour early will trigger you a little quicker. If you weren't going to have a heart attack anytime soon, getting out of bed an hour early won't kill you.

How the heck did our ancestors survive, it's a miracle. Imagine complaining to them that getting up an hour early might trigger a heart attack. You'd probably kill them right then because they can't stop laughing.

As for the accidents, nice, let me guess you also trot that out around new years eve and july fourth celebrations and politely tell everyone to stay home, go to bed on time, eat your salad etc etc. Because if you don't, and you support partying at night etc, then your position is logically inconsistent.
I didn't post it to avoid heart attacks or accidents, but to point out that it does cause a real stress to your system.

Sounds like you have never had to get young children to school during the DST switchover?

Since DST provides not one single tangible benefit anymore I can think of - why not just pick one time, and stick with it?

For the record, I get up a 5:30AM most days, but often get up as early as 3:30 if I have a long drive to my first appointment for the day, so its no skin off my nose either way, but I still think its generically no longer worth while and yet one more un-needed disruption our already overstressed society doesn't need.

I didn't post it to avoid heart attacks or accidents, but to point out that it does cause a real stress to your system.

Sounds like you have never had to get young children to school during the DST switchover?

Since DST provides not one single tangible benefit anymore I can think of - why not just pick one time, and stick with it?

For the record, I get up a 5:30AM most days, but often get up as early as 3:30 if I have a long drive to my first appointment for the day, so its no skin off my nose either way, but I still think its generically no longer worth while and yet one more un-needed disruption our already overstressed society doesn't need.
How do you manage traveling to a different time zone/jetlag? I have three children...so they are tired for a few days in the morning...they'll take it for the additional light at the end of those summer days.

I get confused because the family is out in Arizona where they don't have DST. I always have to remember whether we are 2 hours ahead or 3 hours ahead.

Back