Here we go again...DST

The benefits depend to a large extent on where in the time zone you are; if you're in the western part of your time zone, you'll already enjoy the longer summer evenings without DST.

Here in Manitoba we're in the eastern part of the Central time zone, and we observe DST. Our latest sunset (around the summer solstice) will be 21:40.

Saskatchewan, our neighbour to the W, is also in the Central time zone, and does not observe DST. Even so, Maple Creek, in western Saskatchewan, has a latest sunset around 21:30. They don't need the extra hour of daylight there.

So, during Standard time, Manitoba and Saskatchewan are in sync, but during DST we're an hour out.

Time is so weird.

We all just decide one day, it is not this time anymore. It is now one hour in the future. Then later we all agree, you know what, let’s go back one hour to the time left behind. And some people are just like nah we ain’t doing any of that nonsense. We’re not changing a thing. So they exist in a different time, sometimes. And we all accept whichever time depending on where we are at that time. And all of this is ok.

Last edited:
It was DARK in the Atlanta area at 7:50 AM in January. 7:50 AM and it was D A R K . Yes, it was cloudy/overcast. Full time DST? That means it will be dark at 8:50 AM!!!

Almost 9:00 and it's still DARK outside? Really? Is that what all you whining, cry babies want?

Have you ever really done any critical thinking about this in certain times of the year?

I swear, if this DST full-time thing ever goes through, I better not ever hear a friggin' word about someone's kid crying and whining about having to wait for the bus in the dark, that they are emotionally scarred for life, being scare in the dark.

It was DARK in the Atlanta area at 7:50 AM in January. 7:50 AM and it was D A R K . Yes, it was cloudy/overcast. Full time DST? That means it will be dark at 8:50 AM!!!

Almost 9:00 and it's still DARK outside? Really? Is that what all you whining, cry babies want?

Have you ever really done any critical thinking about this in certain times of the year?

I swear, if this DST full-time thing ever goes through, I better not ever hear a friggin' word about someone's kid crying and whining about having to wait for the bus in the dark, that they are emotionally scarred for life, being scare in the dark.
Thank you. All b/c someone finds it a real inconvienence a few times a year to change some clocks and feel like you went one time zone east in the spring and west in the fall that lasts about 1-2 days.

Admittedly, that's a concern here. Our latest sunrise (around the winter solstice) would move from 0830 to 0930. 😳

Yep. Standard time makes the most sense. This morning woke up for work in pitch darkness. Is that the "daylight" that is being saved?

Feel sorry for the kids walking to school in the dark this morning.
I agree, if you have to leave it one way standard makes more sense to me. My wife and I were talking the other day about this and this post. Imagine no clocks....you would just wake up at light and go to be when it was dark and none of this would matter :ROFLMAO:

Yep. Standard time makes the most sense. This morning woke up for work in pitch darkness. Is that the "daylight" that is being saved?

Feel sorry for the kids walking to school in the dark this morning.
And if you think it's too dark to make kids walk to school in March, just think how bad it would be in December and January. This is why year round DST can never happen.

The last sizeable poll on this issue that I read was after the Senate passed a year-round DST bill. 35 percent favored keeping the two changes. Way less for the other two options. A whole lot of people never heard of it. I'd welcome year-round DST myself and enjoyed it 73-74.

The age old solution to the kids going to school in the dark argument, is to start school days later. Big help on the other end of the day as well

I'm surprised business's haven't paid off the politicians to stop it. The 24 hr plants spend a lot of $ on overtime for this nonsense 2x a year. I got paid 12 hours for 11 hours work, then get an hour of OT on the other end.

I'm surprised business's haven't paid off the politicians to stop it. The 24 hr plants spend a lot of $ on overtime for this nonsense 2x a year. I got paid 12 hours for 11 hours work, then get an hour of OT on the other end.
Ummm...huh?

Ummm...huh?
You're working your 12 hour shift. Time changes. Turn the clock ahead one hour. Now quitting time is one hour closer, and you get paid for that hour, but didn't work it. Six months later you're at work for your 12 hour shift and the time changes so you turn your clock back. Now you work that hour all over again. So either you work an hour unpaid or they pay you an extra hour.

Set the clocks 30 minutes to the middle and leave it alone forever after that.

Back